Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Italian sculptor.  Filippo Matteini's statue of Pius IX was loaned to the Dublin Exhibition of 1865 by the Roman Ospizio di San Michele.   It was subsequently purchased from the Ospizio by Archbishop Cullen for Clonliffe College, Dublin, where it remains.(1)



References



(1) Fintan Cullen, Ireland on Show: Art, Union, and Nationhood (Farnham, Surrey: Ashgate Publishing, 2012),10.


1 work entries listed in chronological order for MATTEINI, FILIPPO *#


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CLONLIFFE ROAD, HOLY CROSS COLLEGE
Date: 1865p
Nature: Colossal statue of Pius IX exhibited in the Dublin exhibition of 1865 (no. 185) and later purchased by Cardinal Cullen for Holy Cross College, Clonliffe. (Attributed, apparently wrongly, to Giovanni Maria Benzoni in IB 24, 1 May 1882, 140.)
Refs: Ann M. Stewart, Irish Art Loan Exhibitions II (1995), 457, and information from Dr Paula Murphy, Nov 2012;  Fintan Cullen, Ireland on Show: Art, Union, and Nationhood (Farnham, Surrey: Ashgate Publishing, 2012), 10.