Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect and civil engineer, of Limerick. James Browne, a native of Limerick and a pupil of WILLIAM FOGERTY WILLIAM FOGERTY , started to practise in Limerick in the early 1870s. He was a member of Limerick Corporation and architect to the Lunatic Asylum Board. He designed several presbyteries and large schools in Limerick and the adjoining counties. He died on 11 February 1908 after a long illness. 'Mr Browne was a man of gentle and retiring disposition,' his obituarist in the Irish Builder recalled, 'and never studied the peculiar ways by which a provincial practice is nowadays built up. A clever draughtsman, the aesthetic side of the profession appealed more to him than the dull business routine, and his artistic tastes and culture were much appreciated by his many friends.'  At the time of the 1901 census, Browne was unmarried and living in lodgings in Glentworth Street.

The Irish Architectural Archive holds a set of undated drawings by Browne for the Male Orphanage in Limerick in the Carberry Collection, Acc. 85/200.8/1-20.

RSAI: elected 11 May 1884.(1)

Addresses:(2) Work: 13 Thomas Street, 1875; Catherine Street, 1877; 32 Catherine Street, 1879; 8 Cecil Street, 1880; Catherine Street, 1884; 12 Glentworth Street, Limerick, 1886-1889;(3) 43 Catherine Street, 1891; 23 Glentworth Street, 1894.(4)
Home: 26 William Street, 1877-1884.

See WORKS.



References

All information not otherwise accounted for from obituary of Browne in IB 50, 22 Feb 1908, 125.

(1) JRSAI 16 (1883-4), 279.
(2) From typescript 'List of architects, engineers and builders in Limerick City Trades Directories, 1769-1891', compiled by Michael Maguire, Limerick City Libraries, unless otherwise indicated.
(3) JRSAI 19 (1889), list of members.
(4) JRSAI 24 (1894), list of members.


3 work entries listed in chronological order for BROWNE, JAMES J.F.


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, WATER SUPPLY
Date: 1888ca
Nature: With R.J. Cruise and R. Fogerty. 1st sod turned, 5 Sep 1888.
Refs: Limerick Chronicle, 6 Sep 1888; IB 50, 22 Feb 1908, 125

Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, MULGRAVE STREET, DISTRICT LUNATIC ASYLUM
Date: 1903
Nature: Extensions, with Carroll & Batchelor
Refs: IB 45, 9 Apr 1903, 1682; 50, 22 Feb 1908, 125

Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, SEXTON STREET, MALE ORPHANAGE
Date: ?
Nature: New?
Refs: Drawings in IAA, Carberry Collection, , 85/200.8/1-20