UNDERWOOD, HENRY JONES #
- Born: 1804 Died: 1852
Architect, of Oxford, for whom see Howard Colvin, A Biographical dictionary of British architects 1600-1840 (4th edn., 2008). He is probably the 'Henry Underwood' who designed a chapel-of-ease at Cashel, Co. Donegal, in the parish of Kilmacrenan at some point between 1838 and 1852 the year of his death, though Colvin also lists another Henry Underwood who was active at the same time.(2) Correspondence relating to this church is in PRONI. (3)
See WORKS, for Irish work only.
(1) Henry Jones Underwood was the architect of John Henry Newman's church at PRONI, D3077/G/6 (see PRONI e-catalogue).
2 work entries listed in chronological order for UNDERWOOD, HENRY JONES #
|Building:||CO. TIPPERARY, MOGORBAN, CHURCH OF THE HOLY SPIRIT (CI)|
|Nature:||New church, built btween 1813 and 1816 at cost of £1,014.7s.8½d. Decribed by Lewis as 'a neat Gothic structure, built about 20 years since.'
Samuel Lewis, A Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837), II, 376; Clergy of Cashel and Emly (Ulster Historical Foundation, 2012), 88(illus.),89.
|Building:||CO. DONEGAL, CASHEL, CHURCH OF ST COLUMBA (CI)|
|Nature:||New chapel-of-ease in Clondhorkey parish near Doe Castle, for George Vaughan Hart.
|Refs:||Letters and papers of G.V.Hart relating to same, 1838-1864, in PRONI, D3077/G/6 (see PRONI e-catalogue); B 10, 31 Jan,21 Feb 1852, 76,123 (which says that church was erected by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners 'in conformity with the designs of their architect'; this is repeated in Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 221); Clergy of Derry & Raphoe (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1999),118,119(illus.); exterior also illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 171.|