Selected: AGNEW, CHARLES STEWART


Born: 1876
Died: 1961


Architect with the Office of Public Works and later with the Ministry of Finance Works Division, Northern Ireland. Charles Stewart Agnew, who was born on 12 November 1876,(1) had an engineering degree. He entered the Office of Public Works as a surveyor on 15 September 1904(2) and was posted to Waterford. He remained in Waterford until 1912 or 1913, when he was moved to Dublin. Following the establishment of the Government of Northern Ireland in 1921, he entered the Northern Ireland Ministry of Finance Works Division. As senior architect of the Works Division he was reponsible for the design of many Northern Ireland government buildings, and on 9 June 1938 he was awarded the MBE.(3) He succeeded ROLAND INGLEBY SMITH  ROLAND INGLEBY SMITH as chief architect in August 1942.(4) He probably retired in 1944 when he gave up his membership of the RIAI, to be succeeded by THOMAS FRANCIS O. RIPPINGHAM THOMAS FRANCIS O. RIPPINGHAM . He died on. 2 July 1961, leaving a widow, Dora.(5)

AAI: elected member, 1904; no longer on list of members after 1917.
RIAI: elected member, 1921;(6) resigned, 1944.(7)
RSAI: elected associate member, 27 January 1914.(8)

Addresses: Home: 4 Fairfield Park, Rathgar, <=1914->=1918; The Warren, Donaghadee, Co. Down, at time of death.

See WORKS.

References
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from RIAI and AAI membership lists and Thom's directories.

(1) Transcript from OPW records in Jones file A12.
(2) See note 1, above.
(3) RIBAJ 45 (1937-38), 771.
(4)
(5) IB 85, 15 Aug 1942, 294.
(5) Belfast Newsletter, 3 Jul 1961.
(6) JRIAI(1922), 2.
(7) RIAI Year Book (1945), 7.
(8) JRSAI 44 (1914), 84.

3 work entries listed in chronological order for AGNEW, CHARLES STEWART


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. FERMANAGH, BELCOO, CUSTOMS EXAMINATION STATION
Date: 1932
Nature: Single storey with tiled roof swept at eaves.
Refs: Note by Hugh dixon in Buildings of Ireland files, citing ref. B.10.2.

Building: CO. DOWN, CASTLEISLAND, ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Date: 1938
Nature: New school.
Refs: IB 80, 9 Jul 1938, 568

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, BALTREAGH (LISNASKEA), SCHOOL
Date: 1939
Nature: New school.
Refs: IB 81, 9 Dec 1939, 990