Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Mosaic artist, of Brixton, London.  Gertrude Martin, who worked on both the Holy Souls Chapel and the Lady Chapel in Westminster Cathedral, executed the mosaics in the baptistery (consecrated 1928), the chapel of the Holy Spirit (1930-32) and above the west door of St Anne's cathedral, Belfast.   Work by Gertrude and her sister Margaret on the cathedral mosaics occupied a total of seven years.



References

Information in this entry is from Duncan Scarlett, Dedicated to St Anne (2007), 10-11.


1 work entries listed in chronological order for MARTIN, GERTRUDE *#


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, DONEGALL STREET, ST ANNE'S CATHEDRAL (CI)
Date: 1924p-1928a;1927-29ca
Nature: Mosaic roof of baptistery representing Creation. Mosaic of singing angels on inner tympanu, of central door of W front.
Refs: John Frederick MacNeice, The Church of Ireland in Belfast (Belfast, 1931), 88-89;  Duncan Scarlett, Dedicated to St Anne (2007), 10-11.