Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Builder, of Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh.  James Harvey was born in Co. Monaghan in 1843,  In 1870 he was foreman to James Hughes of Charlemont, Co. Armagh,  who had contracted to build St Michael's Catholic church in Enniskillen.(1)  When Hughes ran into financial difficulties, Harvey successfully undertook the completion of the church.   He built up a thriving business in Enniskillen, later joined by three of his sons, Thomas, William and Hamilton. His contracts included Killyhevlin Enniskillen town hall (1897-1901), Killyhevlin House (1903) and Castle Archdale Church of Ireland church (1905-1908).   He died on 20 December 1918, briefly survived by his wife, Harriet (née Wilson), who died the following April.  He, his wife and thier six surviving children are commemorated in a memorial plaque in the Scots church in Enniskillen.   He was a subscriber to George Lister Sutcliffe,ed., The Principles and Practice of Modern House-Construction (London, 1898).(2)



References

All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from Richard W. Chambers, St Patrick's Church, Castle Archdale: a centenary celebration (2008),83-86(illus.).

(1) IB 13, 1 Aug 1871, 202.
(2) MS list of  subscribers from Belfast and other towns in the northern counties  (photocopy in IAA, Acc. 2009/066).