Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Stucco and scagliola workers and building contractors, of Dublin, active from the 1830s until the 1870s.   According to a report by their fellow-tradesmen, written in 1834, P. & T. McAnaspie had been in business in Armagh and 'other parts of the Kingdom' before setting up in business in Dublin circa 1829.(1) In Wilson's Dublin Directory for 1836 they are described as stucco workers; by 1839 they are also scagliola artists; by 1857 'figure ornament modellers, scagliola artists and builders'. In the Post Office Dublin Directory for 1844 they have a half-page advertisement in which they give a long list of their various skills and services with a note at the bottom that they require an apprentice. In the 1875 edition of the same directory they appear as McAnaspie & Sons.

The Irish Architectural Archive holds a printed leaflet signed by Thomas McAnaspie of 31 Great Brunswick Street, in which he makes four proposals for an O'Connell monument, the first being an elaborate domed, 'self supporting' structure containing a 'People's Hall', a mechanics's institute, a library and a museum, with an observatory in the dome. It was to be built with 'the primitive stones of Ireland' to withstand the effects of the Atlantic Ocean 'constantly forcing from the wavey deep large quantities of salt or saline matter, hurling it by the westerly winds of Heaven across this island, decomposing almost every thing that is not native'. From the address, this can date from no earlier than 1844.(2)

Addresses: Britain Street, 1834;(3)  37 Great Brunswick Street, <=1836->=1844; 37 Great Brunswick Street, and 'at Miss McAnaspie's Straw Bonnet Warehouse, 55 Castle Street', 1844; 31 Great Brunswick Street, <=1847->=1875.

See WORKS.



References



(1) Royal Irish Academy, Haliday MS 4B 31; this manuscript is a copy of a report presented to Daniel O'Connell in 1834 to support the argument for repealing the Act of Union by describing the catastrophic impact the Act had had on the tradesmen of Dublin. 
(2) IAA, RP.D. 25.6.
(3) See note 1, above.


2 work entries listed in chronological order for MCANASPIE, P. & T. *


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CHRISTCHURCH PLACE, CHRIST CHURCH CATHEDRAL (CI)
Date: 1830s
Nature: Green scagliola altar.
Refs: Information from Stuart Kinsella, research advisor, Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin.

Building: CO. MEATH, PILTOWN HOUSE (COLPE)
Date: 1836-39
Nature: TM employed on interior stuccowork.
Refs: Information from Philip McEvansoneya, Trinity College, Dublin, June 2011, citing Brodigan-Piltown Papers in National Library of Ireland.