Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Dublin. James Arthur Doyle, a son of Patrick Doyle, hotelier, of Lurgan, Co. Armagh, and his wife, Lucy, was born in Lurgan on 15 September 1905. He was apprenticed to ROBINSON & ROBINSON & amp; KEEFE  KEEFE in on 31 January 1925 for three years(1) and, after completing his articles, continued to work in their office until at least 1940.  He was assistant architect under Robinson for the Eucharistic Congress which was held in Dublin in 1932.  By 1948 he was practising on his own from 18 Suffolk Street, later moving to Herbert Street.   Toward the end of his career he worked with Laois County Council.   He retired in 1986 and died on 12 July 1994.  He had married Pauline Davin-Power on 4 July 1934 and was survived by his two daughters, Gabrielle and Lucy.

RIAI: student, 1928, elected member, 1934; elected fellow, 1953.
Town Planning Institute: associate member.

Address: Home: 15 Kenilworth Park, 1934.(2)


 




References

All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from Doyle's application to sit the intermediate exam of the RIAI, 1926, in IAA, Acc. 93/136, Box 59, from RIAI membership lists and from his daughter, Gabrielle Doyle, Clonskeagh, Dublin, Feb 2009.

(1) Apprenticement agreement, 31 January 1925, in IAA, Acc. 2014/014.
(2) Ruth McManus, Crampton Built (Dublin: G. & T. Crampton, 2008), 109.


2 work entries listed in chronological order for DOYLE, JAMES ARTHUR


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, OLD CABRA ROAD, HOUSES (020)
Date: 1934
Nature: 20 houses for Economic Public Utility Society. Contractor: G. & T. Crampton.
Refs: Ruth McManus, Crampton Built (Dublin: G. & T. Crampton, 2008), 109.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HERBERT STREET, NO. 022
Date: 1974
Nature: Proposed offices.
Refs: Plans, section and elevations, 11 Jun 1974, in IAA, Acc. 2014/014.