Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Stained-glass artists, of London. The firm of Ward & Nixon was established in the 1830s by Thomas Ward (1808-1870) and James Henry Nixon (1802-1857). After Nixon's death his place was taken by Henry Hughes (1882-1883), and the firm became WARD & HUGHES. W HUGHES. W hen Hughes died in 1883 the business was taken over by Thomas Figgis Curtis and the name changed to CURTIS WARD & CURTIS WARD & amp; HUGHES. HUGHES.

See WORKS.




3 work entries listed in chronological order for WARD & NIXON *#


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. KILKENNY, BURNCHURCH, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1840ca
Nature: Triple lancet window attr. to W & N by Lawrence. (Window salvaged and moved to sanctuary of St Aidan's church, Kilmanagh, 1999)
Refs: David Lawrence, 'Church of Ireland: The United Diocese of Cashel, Ferns, Leighlin, Lismore, Ossory and Waterford: Stained-Glass Windows' (RCB report, 2005), II, 59

Building: CO. CAVAN, CAVAN, CHURCH (CI, URNEY PARISH)
Date: 1841;1850;1854
Nature: E window, designed by James Henry Nixon. For De La Poer Beresford family.
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3088/ (last visited, Aug 2014).

Building: CO. CARLOW, DUNLECKNEY, CHURCH OF ST MARY (CI)
Date: 1844p
Nature: Second window from E in S wall of nave (after design by Joshua Reynolds)
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3008/ (last visited, Dec 2016).