Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Stained glass artists, originally of Whitefriars, London. The firm of James Powell & Sons was founded in 1834, when James Powell, a London businessman, bought the long-established Whitefriars Glass Company of Fleet Street.  Under its new ownership the company flourished to become one of the leading manufacturers of ecclesiastical stained glass in the world. It  was unique in making its own coloured glass, which it also supplied to other studios.    In 1919 the name of the company was changed to Powell & Sons (Whitefriars) Ltd and in 1923 it moved to a new factory at Wealdstone, Kent.  During the 1950s the stained glass window side of the business declined,  After another change of name in 1962 to Whitefriars Glass Ltd,  the business came to an end in 1981when it was purchased by Caithness Glass.

Henry George Alexander Holiday (1839-1927) was chief designer to the studio from December 1862 until 1891 and  James Humphries Hogan (1883-1948) from 1913 until his death.

See WORKS, for Irish work only.



References

All information in this entry is from Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Powell_and_Sons (last visited, Jul 2014) and David Lawrence, 'Church of Ireland: The United Diocese of Cashel, Ferns, Leighlin, Lismore, Ossory and Waterford: Stained-Glass Windows' (2005), II, 28-34.


18 work entries listed in chronological order for POWELL, JAMES & SONS *#


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. MONAGHAN, CARRICKMACROSS, CHURCH OF ST FINNBARR (CI, MAGHEROSS PARISH)
Date: 1860
Nature: 2 2-light stained glass windows in nave in memory of Rev. William Morant, 1860:  Christ as Sower and Christ blessing the Children in N wall;  the Good Shepherd and the Good Samaritan in S wall.
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3293/ (last visited, Jul 2014).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PHIBSBOROUGH ROAD, CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS (CI, GRANGEGORMAN PARISH)
Date: 1863
Nature: Stained glass memorial window to T.G. Dudley (d.1861) depicting the Good Shepherd in nave. Designed by James Rogers.
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 275;  Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/2940/ (last visited, Jun 2013).

Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1868
Nature: Double-lancet window in north chapel of chancel (Christ in the House of Simon, Christ and the Samarian woman at the well). Designed by Henry Holiday.
Refs: David Lawrence, 'Church of Ireland: The United Diocese of Cashel, Ferns, Leighlin, Lismore, Ossory and Waterford: Stained-Glass Windows' (2005), II, 52 (copies of report in IAA and RCB Library, Dublin)

Building: CO. LAOIS, STRADBALLY, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1868;1879
Nature: E window, 1868, designed by Henry Cassolani. Window in S wall of chancel, 1879 (Faith, Hope & Charity), designed by Henry Holiday
Refs: David Lawrence, 'Church of Ireland: The United Diocese of Cashel, Ferns, Leighlin, Lismore, Ossory and Waterford: Stained-Glass Windows' (2005), II, 83

Building: CO. LAOIS, ABBEYLEIX, CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL & ALL ANGELS (CI)
Date: 1886;1892
Nature: Windows in sanctuary and chancel , 1886, designed by Henry Holiday. Westernmost window in south aisle of nave, designed by G. Rhead, 1892.
Refs: Gloine,

Building: CO. CAVAN, KILMORE (CAVAN), CATHEDRAL OF ST FETHLIMIDH (CI)
Date: 1888
Nature: Double lancet stained glass window in N aisle (Angel and Women at the Tomb;  Christ appears to Mary Magdalene).
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3056/ (last visited, Jul 2014).

Building: CO. CAVAN, VIRGINIA, CHURCH (CI, LURGAN PARISH)
Date: 1889p
Nature: Opus sectile and mosaic reredos designed by Frank Mann of James Powell & Sons (Christ in Majesty with Saints) commissioned by Emily Constantia, 2nd wife of 3rd Marquess of Headfort, in memory of John Alfred Wilson Patten (d.1889), son of her first marriage..
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 572.


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MOUNT STREET CRESCENT, ST STEPHEN'S CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1891;1892;1898
Nature: Stained glass window in N wall of nave: Mary Magdalene at the Tomb (1892);  Angels at the Tomb (1891); Christ Blessing the Children (1898).
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 359;  for photographs and further details, see Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/2955/ (last visited, Jun 2013).

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, TEMPO, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1891p
Nature: Triple-light E window (Risen Christ) in memory of Henry Cavendish Butler (1811-1891).  Design by Percy Bacon.
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3296/ (last visited, Jan 2010).

Building: CO. WEXFORD, COURTOWN, CHURCH (CI, KILTENNEL PARISH)
Date: 1894
Nature: Opus sectile mosaic in memorial chapel (Angel with crown, Angel with lily). Designed by Ada Currey.
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/building/building/2902/ (last visited Mar 2009).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PATRICK STREET, ST PATRICK'S CATHEDRAL (CI)
Date: 1906-7
Nature: 5 stained glass windows.  Lancet in N aisle (Christ with Martha and Risen Christ appears to disciples,1906-7); pair of lancets in Lady Chapel (Annunciation, St Luke, Wedding Feast at Cana, St John, 1905); another pair of lancets in Lady Chapel (Adoration of the Magi, St Matthew, Holy Family, St Mark, 1908-9);  opus sectile panel in N aisle (St Christopher, 1928); lancet in S transept (St Paul,1910).
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 619; for details and photographs, see Gloine  http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/2955/ (last visited, Jun 2013).

Building: CO. CARLOW, MYSHALL, CHURCH (CI, ADELAIDE MEMORIAL)
Date: 1910
Nature: All windows.
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3027/ (last visited, Jan 2017).

Building: CO. WEXFORD, KILLANNE, CHURCH OF ST ANNE (CI)
Date: 1914
Nature: Window in south wall of nave, second from east (Christ blessing children)
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/2896/ (last visited, Dec 2016).

Building: CO. KILKENNY, PILTOWN, CHURCH OF ST PAUL (CI, FIDDOWN PARISH, NEW)
Date: 1914
Nature: Double lancet window in S wall of nave, 2nd from E (Aquila, Priscilla)
Refs: David Lawrence, 'Church of Ireland: The United Diocese of Cashel, Ferns, Leighlin, Lismore, Ossory and Waterford: Stained-Glass Windows' (2005), II, 79 (copies of report in IAA and RCB Library, Dublin)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DAWSON STREET, ST ANN'S CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1920
Nature: Outer mosaic panels in reredos by 'Powells of London'.
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 470.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1925
Nature: Stained glass window in S aisle (SS. George, John and Patrick) designed by James Humphries Hogan.
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/window/15806/ (last visited, apr 2014).

Building: CO. WATERFORD, KILWATERMOY, CHURCH OF ST MARY (CI)
Date: 1931
Nature: Window on N side of nave (2nd from E) (St Cecilia).
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3020/ (last visited, Nov 2016).

Building: CO. TYRONE, DUNGANNON, CHURCH STREET, CHURCH OF ST ANNE (CI, DRUMGLASS PARISH)
Date: 1952
Nature: 1939-45 war memorial window. Dedicated 1952.
Refs: C.W. Monteith, History of the parish of Drumglass (n.d.), 30