Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Dublin. Herbert Thomas Coleman, who, accoarding to the 1911 census, was born in 1907 or 1908, was the eldest son of THOMAS ALOYSIUS COLEMAN  THOMAS ALOYSIUS COLEMAN and his wife, Gertrude.. He probably received his training in the office of ASHLIN & ASHLIN & amp; COLEMAN COLEMAN ; he was working there from at least 1933 and remained throughout his career, carrying on the practice after his father's death in 1950.

AAI: elected member, 1926; ceased membership between 1952 and 1953.

Address: Work: 7 Dawson Street.
Home: Claddagh, 9 Temple Villas, Palmerston Road, 1908-<=1932; 16 Merton Road, Rathmines, <=1945->=1958.



References

All information in this entry is from AAI membership lists and Thom's diraectories.


3 work entries listed in chronological order for COLEMAN, HERBERT THOMAS


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. WEXFORD, BALLAGHKEEN, CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST (RC)
Date: 1949-1951
Nature: New Gothic church. Rectangular, with projecting rectangular sanctuary and bellcote over W. end.  First sod turned, 27 Feb 1949.  FS laid 22 May 1949. Church blessed and dedicated by Bishop Staunton, 1 Jul 1951.  Cost £24,000.
Refs: Designs for high altar in IAA, Ashlin & Coleman drawings collection, Acc. 76/1.11/1-2; other Ashlin & Coleman designs for church and internal fittings, 1948-50, seen by N. Sheaff, c. 1976, but not in IAA list;   IB 90, 13 Nov 1948, 934; 93, 21 Jul 1951, 762;  Churches of the Diocese of Ferns (Booklink, 2004), 112(illus.)

Building: CO. WEXFORD, CARNEW, CHURCH OF THE HOLY ROSARY (RC)
Date: 1951-54
Nature: New Romanesque church with free-standing campanile.  FS laid 7 Sep 1852. Opened 8 Dec 1954.  Consecrated 9 Dec 1970.  Builder: George Walsh & Sons, Dublin.
Refs: Drawings, 1951-54, in Ashlin & Coleman office collection, circa 1975;  Acc.Churches of the Diocese of Ferns (Booklink, 2004), 49(illus.).

Building: CO. WEXFORD, CLOLOGUE, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1955
Nature: New church with 5-bay nave and chancel.
Refs: Churches of the Diocese of Ferns (Booklink, 2004), 74(illus.).