O'SULLIVAN, IGNATIUS J.
- Born: 1873 Died: 1927
County surveyor for Co. Offaly (King's County) ,1910-1927 . Ignatius John O'Sullivan, son of John O'Sullivan and Caroline Summers, was born in Cork on 1 February 1873.(1) He was working on the Caledonian Railway(2) in August 1909, when he was appointed to the county surveyorship of Co. Offaly, left vacant by the death of JAMES DELANY . He took up the post in October 1909 at a starting salary of £400 to include £150 for expenses. He was expected to live in or near Tullamore, but by 1921 he appears to have been living in Dublin , visiting the office in Tullamore only twice a week. In June 1927 he applied for sick leave for three months.(3) He died on 12 November 1927 before resuming his duties(4) and was succeeded by THOMAS STANISLAUS DUGGAN.& #160; The 1911 census indicates that he had married in 1904 or 1905 while he was in Scotland, where his elder son was born, but that his wife had died shortly after the birth of his younger son in Co. Offaly in January 1911.(5) He later remarried.(6)
All information in this entry not otherwise referenced is from Brendan O'Donoghue, The Irish County Surveyors 1834-1944 (Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2007), 275, which gives a fulleraccount of his career,
(2) King's County Chronicle, 26 Aug 1909.
(3) Offaly Co. Council Minute Book 1927-28, 30 Jun 1927 (B.O'D.).
(4) Offaly Co. Council Minute Book 1927-28, 17 Nov 1927 (B.O'D.).
(5) 1911 census of Ireland, http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ (last visited Oct 2009).
(6) His widow, Frances, died in 1968, see Irish Times, 23 Sep 1968 (information from Brendan O'Donoghue, 2015).