Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Stained glass manufacturers, of Edinburgh. The firm, which appears to have been founded by James Ballantyne (1808-1877) was in business throughout the mid- and late nineteenth century operating at different times as Ballantyne & Allen, Ballantyne & Son and Ballantyne & Gardiner. According to Casey, James Ballantyne & Son supplied glass for the window depicting King David in the nave of St Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin, in 1864, but the existence of another King David window in the nave by WILLIAM WAILES WILLIAM WAILES , dated 1875, makes this open to question.(1)   ' Mssrs. Ballantyne'  designed an armorial window at Clanabogan Church of Ireland church, Co. Derry, in 1865,(2) some of the windows at Ballycultra, Cultra, Co. Down, in 1877,(3)  the east window at Camus-Juxta-Morne Church of Ireland church in Strabane, Co. Tyrone, in 1879,(4) and  the east window at Ballyrashane Church of Ireland church, Co. Derry, in 1880.(5) while Ballantyne & Gardiner made the stained glass for the restored east window in Downpatrick Cathedral in 1898.(6)



References



(1) Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 619;  David Lawrence only lists the Wailes window, see Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3054/ , last visited Sep 2012. Could the latter have replaced the Ballantyne window? 
(2)   B 23, 16 Sep 1865, 666.
(3) Architect 18, 8 Dec 1877, 312.
(4) Londonderry Sentinel, 28 Oct 1879 (for full description see Archiseek, http://archiseek.com/2013/1877-christ-church-of-ireland-strabane-co-tyrone/#.UZOVbtxOOot last visited, May 2013).
(5) Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 22, no. 28, 10 Jul 1880, 531.
(6) Building News 74, 18 Feb 1898, 231.


9 work entries listed in chronological order for BALLANTYNE (MSSRS.) *#


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. TYRONE, CLANABOGAN, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1865
Nature: Stained glass in triple-lancet window depicting Galbraith escutcheon, shield and crest.
Refs: B 23, 16 Sep 1865, 666.

Building: CO. DOWN, CULTRA, BALLYCULTRA (LATER CULLODEN, LATER BISHOP'S PALACE)
Date: 1877
Nature: Windows by 'Mssr. Ballantine, of Edinburgh' apart from large windows on staircase by Heaton, Butler & Bayne.
Refs: Architect 18, 8 Dec 1877, 312

Building: CO. LAOIS, ETTAGH (BIRR), CHURCH OF ST MARK (CI)
Date: 1877
Nature: 3-light stained glass window in new chancel. (Women at the Sepulchre; Angel at the Resurrection) erected in memory of Col. Westenra by his widow, Hon. Mrs Westenra.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 19, no. 213, 1 Jan 1877, 21; no. 218, 1 Jun 1877, 186.


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PATRICK STREET, ST PATRICK'S CATHEDRAL (CI)
Date: 1879
Nature: Balfe memorial window unveiled, 12 Apr 1879.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette, 21, no. 242, 1 May 1879, 523.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PATRICK STREET, ST PATRICK'S CATHEDRAL (CI)
Date: 1879
Nature: Balfe memorial window unveiled, 12 Apr 1879.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 21, no. 242, 1 May 1879, 523.

Building: CO. TYRONE, STRABANE, CHRIST CHURCH (CI, CAMUS-JUXTA-MOURNE PARISH)
Date: 1879a
Nature: Stained glass E window, presented by children of Major John & Mrs Elizabeth Humphreys in memory of their parents, depicting the Last Supper . 'It is in five compartments, surmounted by a large circular opening, in the centre of which is an Agnus Dei, and in the two trefoils on either side, the Greek letters, Alpha and Omega.'
Refs: Londonderry Sentinel, 28 Oct 1879 (for full description see Archiseek, http://archiseek.com/2013/1877-christ-church-of-ireland-strabane-co-tyrone/#.UZOgm9xOOot , last visited, May 2013);  illus. in Gloine,http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3343/ , last visited, May 2013.
   
 

Building: CO. DERRY, BALLYRASHANE, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI)
Date: 1880
Nature: Stained glass east window representing Ascension.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 22, no. 28, 10 Jul 1880, 531.

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BALLYMONEY, ST JAMES'S PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (3RD)
Date: 1888
Nature: 'Alpha' and 'Omega' windows on either side of pulpit.
Refs: Paul Harron, Architects of Ulster: Young & Mackenzie, a transformational provincial practice 1850-1960 (Ulster Architectural Heritage Society, 2016), 291.


Building: CO. DOWN, DOWNPATRICK, CATHEDRAL OF THE HOLY TRINITY (CI)
Date: 1898
Nature: Design for stained glass for restored east window (scenes from the life of Christ and the parables) by Ballantyne & Gardiner, Edinburgh.
Refs: lBuilding News 74, 18 Feb 1898, 231; J. Frederick Rankin, Down Cathedral (1997), 142(illus.),144