MCLAUGHLIN & HARVEY
- Born: - Died: -
Building contractors, of Belfast and Dublin. The firm of McLaughlin & Harvey which became one of the most important contracting businesses in Ireland was founded in 1853, when Henry McLaughlin, builder, formerly of 4 Wall Street, Belfast, entered into partnership with William Harvey. It was incorporated as McLaughlin & Harvey Ltd. in 1899, when it amalgamated with the firm of Henry Sharpe, Dublin. A Dublin office was opened in the same year and a London office in 1905. A fourth office was opened in Derry in 1941. The company remains (2011) one of the leading builders in the country.(1)
Business paper of the firm have been deposited in the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (D.2822). Photographs and press cuttings relating to the Dublin branch of the firm, Dartmouth Building Works have been deposited in the IAA, Acc. 2005/32.
(1) For a comprehensive illustratedhistory of the firm, see Frederick Gilbert Watson, Building over the centuries: a history of McLaughlin & Harvey (Belfast: Nicholson & Bass, 2010).