Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architectural sculptors and building contractors, of Belfast, active from the 1850s until the 1890s. Thomas and William Fitzpatrick first made a name for themselves as architectural sculptors in the late 1850s and by 1861 had established a marble and stone yard in Wellington Place, Belfast.(1) According to an enthusiastic account of the carving on the McCausland warehouse in Victoria Street, Belfast, in The Builder of 18 February 1871, there was a third member of the family, Michael Fitzpatrick, 'a young Irish artist' and the junior partner in the firm, who had designed the pilasters representing Asia, Africa, Europe, Oceania and America on the principal front which are reproduced in the journal.(2) During the 1860s the Fitzpatricks became general building contractors. They remained among the leading builders in Belfast until the 1890s or later and for a time in the 1870s and 1880s also worked in Dublin.

By the late 1870s William Fitzpatrick was living at Locust Lodge, Ballynafeigh, Belfast.(3) He was actively involved in the affairs of St Jude's church (C of I), Ballynafeigh, donating the site and building the tower at his own expense.(4) He also built and paid for the parish school in Great Victoria Street.(5)

Legal papers relating to the the firm dating from the 1870s and 1880s are in the L'Estrange & Brett papers in the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland, D.1905.

Addresses: 6 Wellington Place, 1861.(6)
Home: (William) Locust Lodge, Ballynafeigh, 1877.(7)

See WORKS.



References



(1) Belfast & Province of Ulster Directory 1861-62.
(2) B 29, 18 Feb 1871, 124,136(illus.); the Irish Builder states elsewhere that the detail drawings were by a James Kendall.
(3) Belfast News Letter, 21 Jul 1877, records the death of his third daughter, Elizabeth, at Locust Lodge.
(4) Clergy of Down & Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996), Part 1, 59.
(5) IB 26, 1 Jul 1884, 201.
(6) See note 1, above.
(7) See note 3, above.


16 work entries listed in chronological order for FITZPATRICK BROS. *


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, CUSTOM HOUSE SQUARE, CUSTOM HOUSE
Date: 1857ca
Nature: Carving on seaward facade.
Refs: IB 2, 2 Jun 1860, 284; Brett (2nd ed.), 35 (illus. P. 45); Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 18 (no. 31, illus.)

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, YORK STREET, NON-SUBSCRIBING PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Date: 1860
Nature: Mural tablet in porch, in memory of Rev. David Hamilton, designed by Robert Young.
Refs: DB 2, 1 Sep 1860, 330

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, DONEGALL SQUARE SOUTH, NO. 010 (JAFFÉ BROS)
Date: 1860ca
Nature: Roundel portraits of famous men attr. to TF by Brett and Larmour.
Refs: Brett (2nd ed.), Pls. 37,39; Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 28 (no. 53, illus.)

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, WARING STREET, NO. 035-39 (ULSTER BANK)
Date: 1860ca
Nature: Carved stonework on facade.
Refs: IB 1, 1 Jun 1859, 66; C.E.B. Brett, Buildings of Belfast (2nd ed., 1985), 44 (illus. Pl. 40); Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 20 (no. 35, illus.)

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, UNIVERSITY ROAD, ELMWOOD HALL
Date: 1862ca
Nature: Loggia capitals 'probably carved by the Fitzpatricks'
Refs: Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 21 (no. 38)

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, NORTH DERBY STREET, JENNYMOUNT MILL
Date: 1864
Nature: Carved keystone heads 'might well have been' by the Fitzpatricks.
Refs: Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 29 (no. 56)

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, OLD HOLYWOOD ROAD, MOTELANDS, THE MOAT
Date: 1864ca
Nature: Loggia capitals 'could only have been worked...by the Fitzpatricks'
Refs: Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 24 (no. 43)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, ST DOULAGH'S CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1865a
Nature: New pulpit carved by 'Mr Fitzpatrick' (Michael?) after designs by W.H. Lynn.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 7, no. 68 (15 Feb 1865), 38.

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, VICTORIA STREET, NO. 034-38 (LYTLE & MCCAUSLAND)
Date: 1867ca
Nature: Carvings by TF from detail drawings by James Kendall.
Refs: IB 9, 15 Jan 1867, 21; 10, 15 Jan 1868, 17; C.E.B. Brett, Buildings of Belfast (2nd ed., 1985), 53; Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 30 (no. 58); Marcus Patton, Central Belfast: an historical gazetteer (UAHS, 1993), 322-3

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, BESSMOUNT PARK (TYHOLLAND)
Date: 1869
Nature: 'The porch...would appear to be carved by the Fitzpatrick brothers of Belfast.' (Williams)
Refs: J. Williams, Companion guide to Architecture in Ireland 1837-1921 (1994), 319

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, ARTHUR SQUARE, THEATRE ROYAL
Date: 1871
Nature: Carved portrait medallions of actors & actresses on facade.
Refs: IB 13, 15 Oct 1871, 262

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, LOMBARD STREET, NO. 010-14 (ROBB & CO.)
Date: 1874
Nature: Carving 'looks like the hand of the Fitzpatricks at work'.
Refs: Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 45 (no. 96)

Building: CO. DERRY, PORTSTEWART, CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST) (CI, AGHERTON PARISH)
Date: ?
Nature: Monument to John Eliot Cairnes (d. 1847) by Thomas and W. Fitzpatrick of Belfast.
Refs: Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 459

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, ORMEAU ROAD (BALLYNAFEIGH), CHURCH OF ST JUDE (CI)
Date: ?
Nature: Pulpit carved by TF and his brother and presented by them to the church.
Refs: Brett (2nd ed.), 48; Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 42 (no. 85)

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, SANDY ROW, ULSTER BREWERY
Date: ?
Nature: Brett suggests that carving in pediment may be by Fitzpatrick.
Refs: Brett (2nd ed.), 54 (illus. Pl.41)

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, VICTORIA STREET, NO. 034 & 36
Date: ?
Nature: Carvings.
Refs: Brett (2nd ed.), 44 (illus. Pls. 36,44)