Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Cork and Dublin. Terence Nolan, who appears to have been a younger brother of EDWARD PATRICK NOLAN EDWARD PATRICK NOLAN , was born in the Quoile, Downpatrick, Co. Down,(1) on 15 October 1912 and was educated at St Malachi's College, Belfast, from the summer of 1928. In 1931 he was apprenticed to JAMES RUPERT BOYD BARRETT JAMES RUPERT BOYD BARRETT , also attending classes at the Cork Municipal School of Art and studying with HENRY HILL HENRY HILL . He worked as Boyd Barrett's assistant on the Department of Industry & Commerce Building in Kildare Street, Dublin (1935-39). In the late 1940s he went into partnership with Charles Finbar Quinlan in Dublin, practising as Nolan & Quinlan. He died in 1985 or 1986.(2)

RIAI: student, 1933; winner of first travelling scholarship, 1934;(3) elected member, 1935; elected fellow, 1982.

Addresses: Work: 25 Suffolk Street, Dublin, 1941; 23 Ely Place, Dublin, <=1948->=1958; 22 Upper Pembroke Street, Dublin, 1968 until death.
Home: 34 Dunbar Street, Cork, 1932; Elizabeth Place, Southern Road, Cork, 1933-1935; Glenbawn, Ardfoyle Crescent, Ballintemple, Cork, 1938-1939; Cherokee, Farranlee Park, Model Farm Road, Cork, 1940.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Nolan's application for registration as a probationer of the RIAI, 1932, in IAA, Acc. 93/136, Box 59, from the brief biographyin IB 86, 17 Nov 1934, 990, which is accompanied by a portrait photograph, and RIAI membership lists.

(1) Might he have been a son of Edward P. Nolan, q.v.?
(2) RIAI Year Book (1988), 71.
(3) His prize-winning design for a large concert hall is illustrated in IB 86, 17 Nov 1934, 990.