Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Belfast, active from the 1850s or earlier until 1895. John Boyd is first noticed in The Builder in 1851 as proposing an iron and glass exhibition building to be erected on Queen's Island, Belfast.(1) In 1853 he was placed second in the competion for designing the Academical Institution in Coleraine, which was won by ISAAC FARRELL. ISAAC FARRELL. (2) He designed churches and schools for the Methodists in the late 1850s and furnished plans, specifications and quantities for two classes of residence for Wesleyan preachers in 1859.(2) He was the partner of WILLIAM BATT  WILLIAM BATT in the firm of BOYD & BATT from circa 1862 until 1871.(3) He died in 1895.(4)

RIAI: elected fellow, 21 May 1863.(5)

Addresses: 45 York Street, Belfast, 1852(6)-1853;(7)  77 York Street, 1856;(8)  81 York Street, Belfast, <1861->=1863;(9) 6 Donegall Square West, 1870;(10) 7 Clarence Place, Belfast, <=1886 until death.(10)

See WORKS.



References



(1) B 9, 5 Apr 1851, 222.
(2) DB 1, 1 Apr 1859, 41.
(3) Northern Star & Ulster Observer, 28 Mar 1871, 2, cited by Sean O'Reilly, 'Timothy Hevey (1846-1878): an episode in Irish High Victorian architecture', Ph.D. thesis, submitted to the National University of Ireland, June 1994, 25.
(4) RIAI minutes, 14 Dec 1895, 314.
(5) RIAI minutes, 21 May 1863, 127.
(6) Belfast & Province of Ulster Directory 1852.
(7) Armagh Guardian, 10 Jun 1853.
(8) Armagh Guardian, 12 Sep,12 Dec 1856.
(9)   Belfast & Province of Ulster Directory 1861-62 and list of subscribers to APSD, 1863.
(10) RIAI Sessional Papers 1863-4 to 1869-70, list of members.
(10) RIAI lists of members..


35 work entries listed in chronological order for BOYD, JOHN [2]


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, QUEEN'S ISLAND, EXHIBITION BUILDING (PROPOSED)
Date: 1851
Nature: Proposed to erect 'a small model of the Hyde-park building for holding all bazaars, fancy fairs, floral and pictorial exhibitions &c.' JB has supplied projector with design and estimate (£780).
Refs: B 9, 1 Mar,5 Apr 1851, 145,222

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, GAOL SQUARE, COUNTY GAOL
Date: 1852-1853;1864-1866
Nature: In 1852-53 new female wing, to cost about £2,700. Tenders invited, Feb 1853.  Contractor: Ross & McCullough.  Tenders invited for improvement to entrance of new wing, Mar 1856.  Further works in 1864-66, viz. remodelling of front facing Mall including insertion of large modern sashes, addition of parapet, removal of 'hateful' gallows, new roof and chimneys, conversion of right wing into governor's residence. Contractor: Thomas Ross, Armagh. Cost about £1,800.
Refs: Armagh Guardian, 20 Mar,10 Jul 1852, 12 Feb,25 Mar 1853, 28 Mar 1856, 2 Sep 1864, 20 Apr 1866;  B 10, 3 Apr,3 Jul 1852, 219,421; 11, 9 Apr,30 Jul 1853, 235,484; DB 7, 1 Jul 1865, 170; 8, 15 Apr 1866, 106;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 124.

Building: CO. DERRY, COLERAINE, CASTLEROCK ROAD, COLERAINE ACADEMICAL INSTITUTION
Date: 1853
Nature: 'Mr Boyd of Belfast' placed second in competition for designing school, which was won by Isaac Farrell.
Refs: B 11, 22 Oct 1853, 654

Building: CO. ARMAGH, LOUGHGALL, HOUSES (006)
Date: 1853
Nature: Tenders invited for erecting 6 cottages to designs by JB.
Refs: Armagh Guardian, 10 Jun 1853.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, NO. 015 & 16 (CLERGY HOUSES)
Date: 1855
Nature: Removal of old houses; 2 new houses with high-pitched roofs, stepped gables & ornamental chimneys built. Contractor: McCullough & Ross, Armagh. To cost about £3,000.
Refs: B 13, 5 May 1855, 209; R. McKinstry, R. Oram, R. Weatherup & P. Wilson, The Buildings of Armagh (UAHS, 1992), 67;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 109,Pl.101.

Building: CO. DOWN, SCRABO HILL, LONDONDERRY MONUMENT
Date: 1856
Nature: Placed 2nd in competition, but Lanyon's design adopted
Refs: Freeman's Journal, 22 Jan 1856 (citing Newry Telegraph); B 14, 15 Nov 1856, 631; Durham Dunlop (ed.), A Memoir of the professional life of William J. Barre, Esq. member of the Royal Insitute of Architects Ireland: with photographic illustrations selected from his works (Belfast: James Magill, 1868), 8-18

Building: CO. ARMAGH, DARTAN HALL
Date: 1856
Nature: Tenders invited for erection of mansion house at Darton, Armagh, Sep 1856. identified as Dartan Hall by Mulligan).
Refs: Armagh Guardian, 12 Sep 1856;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 383.

Building: CO. ANTRIM, MAGHERAMORNE HOUSE (1856)
Date: 1856
Nature: Tenders invited for erection extensive addition and alterations, Dec 1856. (Not executed?)
Refs: Armagh Guardian, 12 Dec 1856.

Building: CO. DOWN, MAZE, PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Date: 1857
Nature: New church in Early English style of brick with cut-stone dressings'situated within a stone's throw of the bridge across the Ulster Canal' now 'considerably advanced in erection'. Cost about £700.
Refs: B 15, 11 Apr 1857, 210-11

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, WELLINGTON PLACE, EVANGELICAL UNION MEETING HOUSE
Date: 1858
Nature: New red brick church, 'somewhat Byzantine in style', has been erected.
Refs: B 16, 11 Sep 1858, 615

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, MAY STREET, PRESBYTERIAN SCHOOLHOUSE
Date: 1858-59
Nature: New schools next to church consisting of 2 schoolrooms with 2-storey library building in front of them. Front elevation to consist of rusticated basement with central doorway. 4 Roman Doric columns and triglyph entablature. Tenders for building same invited, Aug 1858. About 'to be erected immediately', Sep 1858. In progress, Nov 1859.
Refs: Armagh Guardian, ? Aug 1858; B 16, 11 Sep 1858, 615; DB 1, 1 Nov 1859, 147; Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 6 (photo); Marcus Patton, Central Belfast: an historical gazetteer (UAHS, 1993), 219(illus.),230

Building: CO. ARMAGH, PORTADOWN, THOMAS STREET, METHODIST CHURCH
Date: 1858-60.
Nature: New classical church with tetrastyle Corinthian portico. Detached manse with adjoining schoolhouse.. Foundations of church being dug by Sep 1858. Contractors: Brown & Ross, Belfast. Estimated cost: £4,000. Opened for worship, 18 Oct 1860.
Refs: Signed, undated firont and side elevations of proposed Wesleyan chapel, school and manse for Portadown in PRONI, D2794/1/2/115 (see PRONI e-catalogue); B 16, 8 May,18 Sep 1858, 321,638; DB 1, 1 Feb 1859, 19; 2, 1 Aug 1860, 304;  Armagh Guardian, 12 Oct 1860;  C.E.B. Brett, D., Dunleath, R. Oram & A.J. Rowan. Historic Buildings…in the designated area of the Craigavon Development Commission (UAHS, 1970), 3;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 505-6, Pl.82.

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BALLYMENA, PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (3RD)
Date: 1859
Nature: Enlargement and improvement in Lombardo-Gothic style consisting of  3-storey addition in front with tower and spire, apse and choir gallery at rear, new gallery, decoration of ceiling. Basalt with Cookstown stone dressings. Tenders invited for carrying out same, Mar 1859.
Refs: B 17, 5 Mar 1859, 174;  Armagh Guardian, 18 Mar 1859.

Building: CO. DOWN, NEWTOWNARDS, PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (4TH)
Date: 1859
Nature: New church. Tenders invited, Dec 1859.
Refs: Armagh Guardian, 16 Dec 1859.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, DISTRICT LUNATIC ASYLUM
Date: 1860-1862;1875
Nature: Alterations and additions. Tenders invited, Oct 1861.  Work started Feb 1862. Estimated cost of Richard Cherry's tender £5,794.12s.9d.
Refs: Signed and dated plans for improving centre portion, 1875, in Armagh County Museum, 39/1967, see Hugh Dixon, Ulster Architecture 1800-1900 (UAHS, 1972), 28 (no. 146); IAA, PKS A03 (Dec 1861, p.90v), L1 (pp.184-192,194-5,206,275,293,298,307 &c.); B 18, 2 Jun 1860, 347; DB 2, 1 Jun 1860, 266; 3, 15 Dec 1861, 713; 4, 1 Apr,1 Oct 1862, 85 (wrongly named as Omagh),254; IB 17, 1 Jun 1875, 152; 19, 1 Feb 1877, 43;  Armagh Guardian, 18 Oct 1861, 14 Mar,24 Oct 1862;   R. McKinstry, R. Oram, R. Weatherup, P. Wilson, The Buildings of Armagh (UAHS, 1992),193;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 138.

Building: CO. ANTRIM, LISBURN, RAILWAY STREET, PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Date: 1863-64
Nature: New church to be built. Tender of W. Ferguson, Lisburn (£1520.3s) accepted. Opened 2 Mar 1864.(Kirkpatrick).  (Side galleries and lecture hall added 1889.)
Refs: DB 4, 1 Mar 1863, 44; C.E.B. Brett, D. Dunleath, Historic Buildings…in the borough of Lisburn (UAHS, 1969), 7 (no. 5);  illus. in Laurence Kirkpatrick, Presbyterians in Ireland: an illustrated history (Booklink, 2006),


Building: CO. DOWN, BANBRIDGE, BALLYDOWN ROAD, PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Date: 1864
Nature: New Italianate church, 77 x 50 ft, with belfry (replacing church of 1798?). To seat 650. FS laid by Marquess of Downshire., 6 Oct 1864. Contractor: John Jackson, Banbridge (£1,400)..
Refs: DB 6, 15 Oct 1864, 213; B 22, 22 Oct 1864, 781

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, FLAX-SPINNING MILL (JACOB ORR)
Date: 1865
Nature: -
Refs: DB 7, 1 Jul 1865,170

Building: CO. DOWN, HOLYWOOD, CRAIGAVERAN (LORNE)
Date: 1865
Nature: Tudor-style mansion with circular tower, for Henry Campbell. Contractor: James McCracken.
Refs: DB 7, 15 Jun 1865, 157.

Building: CO. ANTRIM, MUCKAMORE, SCHOOL & TEACHER'S RESIDENCE
Date: 1865
Nature: New school house and teacher's residence just completed. Paid for by Samuel thompson, Esq., owner of the estate, who also paid for the recently erected church and parsonage.
Refs: DB 7, 1 Jul 1865, 170

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, MAY STREET, PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Date: 1869
Nature: Timber ceiling, pulpit & Cooke memorial doorway (latter erected by John Robinson, builder)
Refs: B 27, 18 Dec 1869, 1015; Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 6; John Turpin, 'Catalogue of the sculpture of J.H. Foley', Dublin Historical Record 32 (Jun 1979), 111

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, BEDFORD STREET, NO. 021-25 (W. FERGUSON)
Date: 1871
Nature: Curved block of 3 3-storey red-brick warehouses, with polychrome decoration.
Refs: Marcus Patton, Central Belfast: an historical Gazetteer (UAHS, 1993), 26,51(illus.)

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, ULSTERVILLE AVENUE, NO. 007-17
Date: 1873
Nature: 3-storey polychrome brick terrace.
Refs: Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 173

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, GLENNAN, PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Date: 1874
Nature: New T-plan Gothic church and tower.
Refs: Architect 12, 31 Oct 1874, 236;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 343;  illus. in Laurence Kirkpatrick, Presbyterians in Ireland: an illustrated history (Booklink, 2006), 282.


Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, WELLESLEY AVENUE, NO. 001 & 3
Date: 1875
Nature: 2-storey terrace houses with round-headed dormers.
Refs: Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 177

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, GREAT VICTORIA STREET, WAREHOUSE (WILLIAM STRAIN & SONS)
Date: 1875
Nature: New warehouse for William Strain & Sons of Franklin Place. Builder: Fitzpatrick Bros.
Refs: PRONI, Fitzpatrick Bros. papers, D1905/1/8

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, ULSTERVILLE AVENUE, NO. 019-27
Date: 1876
Nature: 3-storey polychrome brice terrace.
Refs: Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 173

Building: CO. CAVAN, COOTEHILL, BRIDGE STREET, PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Date: 1877
Nature: New church erected 'possibly to a design of John Boyd' (Mulligan).
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 288;  illus. in Laurence Kirkpatrick, Presbyterians in Ireland: an illustrated history (Booklink, 2006), 286.


Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, BELGRAVIA TERRACE
Date: 1878
Nature: For John Ferguson
Refs: Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 34

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, WINDSOR PARK, NO. 027
Date: 1880
Nature: For Robert Bryson.
Refs: Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 186

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, BELGRAVIA AVENUE, NO. 001-11
Date: 1881
Nature: 3-storey red brick terrace. For John Ferguson
Refs: Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 34

Building: CO. DONEGAL, LIFFORD, COUNTY INFIRMARY
Date: 1886
Nature: New wing about to be added from plans of JB.
Refs: IB 28, 15 Feb 1886, 60

Building: CO. TYRONE, AUGHNACLOY, PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Date: 1888-1889
Nature: Nave, porches & improvements; thorough renovation (of church of 1774). Contracter: Mssrs. Collen Bros., Dublin & Portadown.
Refs: IB 30, 15 Jul 1888, 183; 31, 15 Sep 1889, 238; Architect 39, 20 May 1888, suppl. p.1 & 6 Jul 1888, suppl. p.3;  John J. Marshall, Annals of Aughnacloy (Dungannon, 1925), 35;  Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 115;  illus. in Laurence Kirkpatrick, Presbyterians in Ireland: an illustrated history (Booklink, 2006),310.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, RICHHILL, PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Date: 1889
Nature: Renovation. Contractor: Joseph Small, Rathfriland, Co. Down.
Refs: IB 31, 15 Sep 1889, 238;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 520.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, SCOTCH STREET, BUSINESS PREMISES
Date: 1890
Nature: To be built.
Refs: Architect 43, 25 Apr 1890 (supplement, p.1).

Author Title Date Details
Boyd, John 'The effects of water, wind and frost on public buildings' 1874 B 32, 28 Feb 1874, 184 & IB 16, 1 Mar 1874, 73. (Paper read to Belfast Architectural Association.)