Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Surveyor and engineer, of Dublin, active from the 1830s until 1855.(1) Between 1831 and 1839 Maurice Collis was employed as a civil assistant by the Ordnance Survey of Ireland.(2) He was surveyor to Trinity College, Dublin, between 1843 and 1846 and was a witness to the Devon Commission in 1844. Following the Incumbered Estates Act of 1849, he drew maps (based on the Ordnance Survey) and at least thirty-three views to illustrate advertisements for properties which were sold between 1850 and 1854 under the terms of the act .(3) He died on 15 January 1855.(4)

RIA: elected member, 12 February 1849.(5)

Address:(6) 3 North Great George's Street, <=1850->=1854.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from Sarah Bendall, ed., Dictionary of Land Surveyors and Local Map-Makers of Great Britain and Ireland 1530-1850 (2nd edition, 1997), II, 108.

(1) According to Mary Cecilia Lyons, Illustrated Incumbered Estates Ireland, 1850-1905 (1993), xvii, he was 'one of the Collises of That Ilk, a famous Dublin medical and surgical family'.
(2) J.H. Andrews, A Paper Landscape: the Ordnance Survey in Nineteenth Century Ireland (1975), 180-181.
(3) Many of these are reproduced in Lyons, op.cit., above.
(4) Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy 6 (1858), 205.
(5) See note r, above.
(6) Post Office Dublin Directory (1853); this address also appears on the lithographs reproduced in Lyons, op.cit. above