Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Engineer, active in the 1840s and 1850s. Charles Saxton Ottley was born in Dublin in January or February 1814 (the date is variously given as 24 January and 4 February), the eighth child and second son of Brook Taylor Ottley, of Dublin, a Commissioner of Public Works, and his wife Isabella Maria, née Brown. He entered Trinity College, Dublin, in 1830, receiving the BA degree in 1835 and an MA in 1841.(1) In 1838 he married Kate McMahon, the youngest daughter of JOHN MCMAHON JOHN MCMAHON , who became drainage engineer to the Board of Works in 1843.  He may then have worked in England;  a copy of the first volume Civil Engineer and Architect's Journal now in the Irish Architectural Archive is inscribed 'Chas. Saxon Ottley. Preston. 1841' on the flyleaf.  He was employed by the Irish Board of Works on drainage schemes for at least part of his career;(2)   his report on the drainage of the Lough-na-Saggart district in Cos. Meath and Westmeath was published in Dublin in 1847. From 1847 or earlier until 1856 or later he was working on drainage and navigation measures in the Lough Neagh area. His pupils and assistants included RICHARD LANGRISHE RICHARD LANGRISHE .



In the latter part of 1859 Ottley moved to No. 8 Lansdowne Road, Dublin, a newly-built house.  He would appear to have died in 1862;  the entire contents of his house, including his library of engineering and architectural books and periodicals, was sold at auction on 23 September of that year.(3)



ICEI: member by 1847.

RIA: member by 1847







See BIBLIOGRAPHY. BIBLIOGRAPHY.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Burke's Landed Gentry (undated, post-1858 single volume edition), 897.

(1) G.D. Burtchaell & T.U. Sadleir, eds., Alumni Dublinenses (1935), 646.
(2) In 1841 he may have been working in England, as his son, Charles Macmahon Ottley, was born in Preston, Lancs., in that year.
(3) Irish Times, 18,22 Sep 1862.


Author Title Date Details
Ottley, Charles Saxton 'Memoranda in reference to blasting operations on the 5th, 8th and 29th October, 1847, for the removal of of a mill at "The Cuts" near Coleraine in connexion with the works of the Lough Neagh drainage and navigation measure' 1847 TICEI 3 (1847), 20-22.