Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architectural partnership, of London, formed between EDWARD WELBY PUGIN  EDWARD WELBY PUGIN and JAMES MURRAY[2]  JAMES MURRAY[2] circa 1856 and dissolved in 1858 or 1859. Pugin & Murray were entrants in the first competition for designing the exchange and market building in Dundalk, Co. Louth, which was held in 1857, and were on a short-list of five of the original entrants who were invited to prepare new plans for the building in a second, limited competition the following year.(1)  In the same year they also entered the competition for the Ulster Bank headquarters in Belfast with 'a tasteful design, sketched in pencil in a masterful manner'.(2)



References



(1) P.J. Geraghty, 'Urban improvement and the erection of municipal buildings in County Louth during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries', County Louth Archaeological and Historical Journal 25, no. 3 (1995), 314.
(2) Civil Engineer and Architect's Journal 21 (Feb 1858), 57.


2 work entries listed in chronological order for PUGIN & MURRAY #


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, ROYAL AVENUE, ULSTER BANK
Date: 1857
Nature: Competition entrants, who submitted 'a tasteful design, sketched in pencil in a masterful manner'
Refs: Civil Engineer and Architect's Journal 21 (Feb 1858), 57.

Building: CO. LOUTH, DUNDALK, CROWE STREET, EXCHANGE & MARKET
Date: 1857;1858
Nature: Entrants in the first competition for designing same, 1857, and on short-list of 5 of the original entrants who were invited to prepare new plans for the building in a second, limited competition, 1858
Refs: P.J. Geraghty, 'Urban improvement and the erection of municipal buildings in County Louth during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries', County Louth Archaeological and Historical Journal 25, no. 3 (1995), 314