Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Stonecutter, of Dorset Street, Dublin, active in Dublin in the first quarter of the nineteenth century. Robert McCartney collaborated with THOMAS BAKER [1]  THOMAS BAKER [1] on the plinth for the railings, kerbstone and pavement at Mountjoy Square in 1801,(1) the erection of Nelson's Pillar in 1808,(2) the Corn Exchange in ,(3) the Pro-Cathedral in 1821,(4) and Gilson's Endowed School, Oldcastle, Co. Meath, 1823.(5)  He appears to have been in partnership with ROBERT BALLANTINE  ROBERT BALLANTINE from at least March 1823 when they tendered unsuccessfully for the contract to erect Limerick lunatic asylum.(6). He may be the person of the same name who married Anne Dykes at St Paul's church, Dublin, on 24 February 1800.(7)

Address: Dorset Street, <=1806->=1826 (137 Dorset Street 1823).



References



(1) F.A. Ashe, 'Mountjoy Square', Dublin Historical Record 3 (1941), 101.
(2) Patrick Henchy, 'Nelson's Pillar', Dublin Historical Record 10 (1948), 59.
(3) George Newenham Wright, Historical Guide to Dublin (1821), ?.
(4) Bryan Bolger papers, NA/PRO 1A/58/128.
(5) Articles of agreement between trustees of school and RM and Thomas Barker, 31 Mar 1823, for building same in IAA, Acc. 85/182
(6) Minutes of Commissioners for General Control..and for Superintending…the Erection…of Asylums for the Lunatic Poor, Jun 1923 (B.O'D.).
(7) www.familysearch.org.


2 work entries listed in chronological order for MCCARTNEY, ROBERT *


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, O'CONNELL STREET LOWER, NELSON MONUMENT
Date: 1808-09
Nature: Design by William Wilkins executed in modified form by Thomas Baker and Robert McCartney under supervision of Francis Johnston.
Refs: Patrick Henchy, 'Nelson's Pillar', Dublin Historical Record 10, No. 2 (Jun-Aug 1948), 59

Building: CO. MEATH, OLDCASTLE, GILSON ENDOWED SCHOOLS
Date: 1823
Nature: Builder of same, with Thomas Baker, for trustees of school.  Agreed price £4,567.
Refs: Articles of agreement between trustees of school and RM and Thomas Barker, 31 Mar 1823, for building same in IAA, Acc. 85/182