Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Dublin. John Bowden was admitted to the Dublin Society's School of Architectural Drawing on 3 May 1798, and won premiums in 1799, 1801 (as 'John Boden', ex-pupil) and 1802.(1) He served his apprenticeship with RICHARD MORRISON  RICHARD MORRISON and was working in Morrison's office in 1807 or 1808 as appears from his evidence as a witness for Morrison in the case of Morrison vs. John Michael Aylward of Ballynagar in 1815.(2) JOHN HAMPTON  JOHN HAMPTON was an apprentice in Morrison's office at the same time.(3) In 1810 he applied unsuccessfully for  the job of superintending the building of Belfast Academical Institution to the designs of JOHN SOANE JOHN SOANE (4)   Bowden was architect to the Board of First Fruits from 1814 or earlier until 1821;(5) he trained JOSEPH WELLAND JOSEPH WELLAND , who was responsible for completing St Stephen's Church, Dublin, to Bowden's designs after his death. Bowden was in Paris in October 1815.(6) In 1817 he entered the competition for the Wellington Testimonial in the Phoenix Park, Dublin.(7) By 1818 he had also become architect to the Board of Education.(8) He died in the summer of 1822.(9)

There are drawings by Bowden among the Midleton Papers, Surrey History Centre (Guildford Muniments).(10)

Address: 6 Blessington Street, Dublin, 1814 until death.

See WORKS.



References



(1) Proceedings of Royal Dublin Society (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44).
(2) MS. copy notes of trial among Aylward Lewis family papers in the collection of Mrs Eleanora Palamountain, Duns Tew Manor, Oxford (photocopy in IAA, RP.D.137).
(3) A.C. Mulvany, ed., Letters from Professor Thomas J. Mulvany RHA to his eldest son William T. Mulvany…from 1825-1845 (Dusseldorf, 1907), 30.
(4) Letter from JB to Joseph Stevenson, 1 Apr 1910, in PRONI  Wilson's Dublin Directory 1814-1821.
(5) A copy of Krafft & Ransonette, Plans, Coupes &c, in ?Faculty Library, Cambridge, is inscribed 'John Bowden, Archt, Paris 13 October 1815', and a copy of Percier & Fontaine in NLI is signed by Bowden and inscribed 'Paris' (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44).
(6) Maurice Craig, Dublin 1660-1860 (1952), 294.
(7) Wilson's Dublin Directory 1818.
(8) An extract from his will of 1821 is in the National Archives, ref. Char 1/3/p3.   He was paid cash for his work at Dunganstown church, Co. Wicklow, at Easter, 1822 (RCB Library, 'An account of of all sums of money levied for building and repairing of churches...June 1824' ) but was dead by September , when James Elmes was looking to succeed him as architect to the Board of First Fruits (Letter from James Elmes to Lord Liverpool, 25 Sep 1822, in NA/CSO/RP/2883.) 
(9) NLI special list 178, Box 93 (ref given by R. Loeber to E. McP).


54 work entries listed in chronological order for BOWDEN, JOHN [2]


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. TYRONE, NEWTOWNSAVILLE, CHURCH OF ST MARK (CI)
Date:
Nature: 'The church was built in 1815, at an expense of £895, of which the same Board gave £738, and the proprietor of the estate the residue: it is a neat edifice, in the Gothic style, with a lofty square tower.' (Lewis). According to Costegalde & Walker, church was designed by John Bowden andf built fo the Rev. Francis Gervais when  perpetual curacy was formed in 1816, while Leslie says that perpetual curacy was not fomed until 1820.
Refs: J.B. Leslie, Clogher Clergy and Parishes  (1929), 241;  Illus. in Clergy of Clogher  (Ulster Historical Foundation, 2006),  83;  Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 147.

Building: CO. DERRY, DERRY, STRAND ROAD, OLD FOYLE COLLEGE
Date: 1809-1814
Nature: JB engaged in superintending the new buildings of endowed school of Derry, 1809. School moved to new premises, 1814.…has sent in drawings of an elevation and corresponding plans’
Refs: Signed plan and coloured elevation in Guildhall Library, Fishmongers' Company 1959/folio II.1.60-1, see Hugh Dixon, Ulster Architecture 1800-1900 (UAHS, 1972), 21 (no. 97); printed Report of Managers of Academical Institution, Belfast., for year ending 4 July 1809 in Soane Museum, SM Archive : Private Correspondence V.F.; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 390; A. Rowan & J. Tracey, City of Derry (UAHS, 197), 40

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, COLLEGE SQUARE EAST, ACADEMICAL INSTITUTION
Date: 1809a
Nature: JB sends plans for same.  Applies unsuccessfully to superintend building of Soane's design, 1810.
Refs: Printed Report of Managers of Academical Institution, Belfast., for year ending 4 July 1809 in Soane Museum, SM Archive : Private Correspondence V.F.; letters from JB to Dr Groves, 28 Mar 1809, and to Joseph Stevenson, 30 Jul 1809, 11 Apr 1910, in PRONI,SCH/524.

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BALLINTOY, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1811-14
Nature: JB produced plans for Rev. Robert Traill, Sep 1811. Contract signed with Henry Clark, Esq, and Henry Wynn, carpenter, for erection of church, 28 Feb 1812. Church certified as being in order 1 Aug 1814.
Refs: Plans by JB, Sep 1811, in PRONI, T1124/1 (see PRONI e-catalogue);  S. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837), I, 119; W.D. Girvan, Historic Buildings…in North Antrim (UAHS, 1972), 30; C.E.B. Brett, Buildings of County Antrim (UAHS, 1996), 44(illus.);  exterior and interior of church illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 215. 


Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, HIGH STREET, ST GEORGE'S CHURCH (CI, UPPER FALLS PARISH)
Date: 1811-16
Nature: New chapel of ease incorporating portico from Ballyscullion of 1788
Refs: Signed, undated plan, showing incorporation of portico in Representative Church Body  Library, portfolio 6,  see RCB Architectural Drawings, https://archdrawing.ireland.anglican.org/items/show/1366 (last visited, Jan 2017);  see also  Hugh Dixon, Ulster Architecture 1800-1900 (UAHS, 1972), 16 (no. 58); Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 4(illus.); Marcus Patton, Central Belfast: an historical gazetteer (UAHS, 1993), 188,195(illus.); W front also illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 219.


Building: CO. DERRY, DERRY, POOR SCHOOL
Date: 1812
Nature: New 3-bay, 2 storey school in Tudor style with advanced, gabled central bay and label mouldings to windows. For William Knox, Bishop of Derry.
Refs: Signed engraved plan and elevation in Guildhall Library, Fishmongers' Company 1959/folio II.1.58-9, see Hugh Dixon, Ulster Architecture 1800-1900 (UAHS, 1972), 22

Building: CO. ANTRIM, ANTRIM, CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS (CI)
Date: 1812-1816
Nature: Works at same, including tower and spire. (According to Lewis, Board of First Fruits granted loan of £1500 for adding 'lofty tower' and 'elegant spire' in 1812 to church of 1720.)
Refs: NLI A.D.2639(design for 'Loover' windows, bought at Allen & Townsend auction, Dublin, 15/16 Dec 1965, Lot 1049); S. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837), I, 38; W.D. Girvan, R. Oram, A. Rowan, Historic Buildings…in Antrim & Ballymena (UAHS, 1969), 5; C.E.B. Brett, Buildings of County Antrim (UAHS, 1996), 28(illus.)

Building: CO. DERRY, DERRY, BISHOP STREET, COUNTY COURT HOUSE
Date: 1813-17
Nature: New classical court house with tetrastyle Ionic portico. Surmounted by statues of Justice & Peace by Edward Smyth (but he died in 1812; more probably by his son and successor John Smyth). Executed by Henry, Mullins & McMahon.
Refs: Drawings by JB in PRONI L/A 5; Pigot and Co.'s City of Dublin and Hibernian Provincial Directory (1824), 395-6; S. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837),, II, 303; Robert Simpson, The Annals of Derry(1847), 243-4; North West Ulster, 389; W.S. Ferguson, A.J. Rowan, J.J. Tracey, Historic Buildings…in and near the City of Derry (UAHS, 1970), 17(illus),19 and drawing on cover; C.E.B. Brett, Court Houses & Market Houses of the Province of Ulster, (UAHS 1973), 17,86,88,90 and drawing on cover.

Building: CO. ANTRIM, ANTRIM, ANTRIM CASTLE
Date: 1813-1818
Nature: Works at same.
Refs: Mark Bence-Jones, Burke’s Guide to Country Houses. Volume I, Ireland. (London, 1978), 6; W.D. Girvan, R. Oram, A. Rowan, Historic Buildings…in Antrim & Ballymena (UAHS, 1969), 6; PRONI Ferrard MSS. T2519/4/1996

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, ROSCREA, CHURCH STREET, CHURCH OF ST CRONAN (CI)
Date: 1813ca
Nature: Porch
Refs: NLI MS 8821/(5)115

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BALROTHERY, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1814
Nature: JB provides plans for rebuilding of body of church (but not fortified tower).  Contractor: Donnell. Loan of £1000 from Board of First Fruits.
Refs: RCB Library, 'An account of of all sums of money levied for building and repairing of churches...June 1824' (information from Frank Keohane).

Building: CO. ARMAGH, MULLAGHBRACK (OR MULLABRACK), CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI)
Date: 1814
Nature: Addition of tower to earlier church 'probably by John Bowden' (Mulligan).
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 446;   

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, MONAGHAN, COUNTY GAOL
Date: 1814;1821
Nature: Submits plans, 1814; replaces Behan as architect,1821..
Refs: PRONI D562/4227; NA/SPO CSORP 1821, 547;  letter from Commissioners of Public Works enclosing report by Francis Johnston on plans and estimates for gaol, Apr 1821, in NA CSO/RP/1821/1194.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PHOENIX PARK, WELLINGTON TESTIMONIAL
Date: 1814ca
Nature: Short-listed entrant in Wellington Testimonial competition with design for a column.
Refs: NLI PF 20 (AD 1927?); Irish Architectural Drawings (exhibition catalogue,1965), 9 (no. 22).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PHOENIX PARK, WELLINGTON TESTIMONIAL
Date: 1814ca
Nature: Short-listed entrant in Wellington Testimonial competition with design for a column.
Refs: NLI PF 20 (AD 1927?); Irish Architectural Drawings (exhibition catalogue,1965), 9 (no. 22).

Building: CO. CAVAN, KILDALLON, CHRIST CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1815-1820
Nature: Remodelling of existing T-plan church and addition of tower, effected with loan of £1000 from Board of First Fruits.  JB paid £10 for plans, 1815. Church examined, 1820.
Refs: RCB Library, 'An account of of all sums of money levied for building and repairing of churches...June 1824' (information from Frank Keohane);  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 368-9;  exterior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 242, which gives slightly different account.

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, FENNOR, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1815ca
Nature: New church. (Described by Lewis as 'a neat modern structure, rebuilt by aid of a gift of £800 from the…Board [of First Fruits], in 1815')
Refs: Signed elevation and plan in Armagh County Museum, 9/1958, see Hugh Dixon, Ulster Architecture 1800-1900 (UAHS, 1972), 16 (no. 59); S. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837), I, 618

Building: CO. CAVAN, CAVAN, CHURCH (CI, URNEY PARISH)
Date: 1816
Nature: New church. Attr. to John Bowden by Lawson. 'Usually attributed to John Bowden' (Mulligan). (Described in Pigot's Directory (1824) as 'a very handsome structure with a lofty spire, …which, though it has been used…for six or seven years, is yet in an unfinished state'.)
Refs: J.P. Lawson, Gazetteer of Ireland (1842), 231; Simon Walker, Historic Ulster Churches (Institute of Irish Studies, 2000), 95(illus.);  DB 5, 1 Jun 1863, 96; Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 249;  exterior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 245.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, GAOL SQUARE, COUNTY GAOL
Date: 1816
Nature: Plans (for adds?) by JB
Refs: NA/SPO 563/462/21

Building: CO. WEXFORD, TEMPLESHANBO, CHURCH OF ST COLMAN (CI)
Date: 1816
Nature: Payment of £10 made to 'Architect of Board of First Fruits', 1816.
Refs: RCB Library, 'An account of of all sums of money levied for building and repairing of churches...June 1824' (information from Frank Keohane)

Building: CO. ARMAGH, TARTARAGHAN, CHURCH OF ST PAUL (CI)
Date: 1816
Nature: New church built with patronage of James Verner of Church Hill and grant of £1,300 from Board of First Fruits. 
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 547.;  interior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 130.


Building: CO. KERRY, KILGOBBAN, GLEBE HOUSE
Date: 1817-1820
Nature: Additions. According to Lewis, Board of First Fruits gave £250 and lent £550 in 1820 for erection of glebe house.
Refs: Signed elevation and floorplans for 2-bay, 2-storey extension to existing house (inscr. on verso: Rev Mr Campbell/ Kilgobban /Lodged in the Registry/27 Oct 1817);  IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44, citing 'TCD A/Bp Dublin Registry'; Samuel Lewis, A Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837), II, 99. 

Building: CO. LEITRIM, DROMAHAIR, CHURCH (CI, DRUMLEASE PARISH)
Date: 1817-19
Nature: Rebuilding of church.   JB paid £5.13s.9d for plan, 1819.  'The church is a neat edifice, in a picturesque situation, rebuilt by aid of a loan of £1000, in 1817.'(Lewis).  According to Costegalde & Walker church 'was constructed in 1806 and rebult in 1816 at a cost of £1,044'.
Refs: RCB Library, 'An account of of all sums of money levied for building and repairing of churches...June 1824' (information from Frank Keohane); Samuel Lewis, A Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837), I, 518;  exterior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 240.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, KILGOBBIN, GLEBE HOUSE
Date: 1817?
Nature: Additions to existing house to form glebe house (or addition to existing glebe house to form larger one?).  (According to Lewis,Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837), II, 98,  Board of First Fruits gave £250 amd lent £550 in 1820 for erection of glebe house.)
Refs: Signed, undated plans and elevations, endorsed 'Revd Mr Campbell, Kilgobban Lodged in the Registry 27th Oct 1817', in Representative Church Body Library, Rathgar, Dublin (information from Siobhan Sexton, Architectural Conservation Officer, Mayo County Council, Feb 2015).


Building: CO. CLARE, BUNRATTY, GLEBE HOUSE
Date: 1817ca
Nature: JB's suggestions for, adopted
Refs: NLI MS 8821(6)7

Building: CO. TYRONE, KILDRESS, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1818
Nature: New church on site conveyed for that purpose by William Richardson. Cost £1296.2s. (Lewis and OS Memoirs say £1600 was granted by Board of First Fruits).
Refs: Plan, elevation, estimate of works, copy specifications, Feb 1814, in PRONI, DIO/4/22/7/10, see PRONI e-catalogue;  Angélique Day & Patrick McWilliams, eds., Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland, Vol. 20: Parishes of Co. Tyrone 2 (1993), 60; Samuel Lewis, A Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837), II, 88; J.B. Leslie, Armagh Clergy & Parishes (1911), 325;  illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 126.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, TANDRAGEE, CHURCH OF ST MARK (CI, BALLYMORE PARISH)
Date: 1818
Nature: Enlargement, addition of tower.
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 540;  illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013),121.

Building: CO. LOUTH, DUNDALK, MARKET SQUARE, COUNTY COURT HOUSE
Date: 1818ca
Nature: Supervised building of Parke's design
Refs: JB's connection with Parke described in Ferrard Papers, PRONI T2519/4 (ref. given by A. Malcolmson to E. McP); P.J. Geraghty, 'Urban improvement and the erection of municipal buildings in County Louth during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries', County Louth Archaeological and Historical Journal 25, no. 3 (1995), 313

Building: CO. ARMAGH, MULLAVILLY (TANDRAGEE), CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1818p
Nature: JB's plans for enlarging church (addition of transepts and chancel) approved by vestry, 15 Dec 1818.  Loan of £800 from Board of First Fruits.
Refs: RCB Library, 'An account of of all sums of money levied for building and repairing of churches...June 1824' (information from Frank Keohane);  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 456.


Building: CO. DUBLIN, SWORDS, DISPENSARY
Date: 1819
Nature: Tenders invited for erecting same.
Refs: Freeman's Journal, 27 Apr 1819.

Building: CO. CAVAN, ARVAGH, CHURCH (CI, ARVAGH PARISH)
Date: 1819
Nature: 'The church was built by aid of a gift of £900 and a loan of £100 , in 1819, from the late Board of First Fruits.'(Lewis).  'Small hall-and-tower church 'probably by John Bowden' (Mulligan)
Refs: Samuel Lewis, A Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837), I, 79;   Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 140;  illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 239.

Building: CO. DERRY, MAGHERA, CHURCH OF ST LURACH (CI)
Date: 1819-1820
Nature: New church 'to a standard design by John Bowden'(Rowan); 'a neat edifice of stonewith a square embattled tower crowned with pinnacles, towards which the…Board[of First Fruits] granted a loan of £1363.6.2½' (Lewis).
Refs: S. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837), II, 330; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 410; Angélique Day & Patrick McWilliams, eds.Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland Vol. 18, 7;  exterior illus. in Clergy of Derry & Raphoe (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1999), 92, and Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 170. 

Building: CO. CAVAN, MILLTOWN, CHURCH OF ST COLUMBA (CI, DRUMLANE PARISH)
Date: 1819-21
Nature: 'The church is a neat building with a square tower, erected in 1819 by a loan of £1500 from the late Board of First Fruits' (Lewis) Date on plaque on church given as 1821.  Contractor: 'Mr Dolittle' (probably John Delittle or Doolittle, Dublin) who was paid a total of £1286.12s.1821-22 for building church and a further £22.15s. 'for inspecting the building of the new church'.
Refs: Photocopies of JB's designs in NLI A.D.1707-1709; S. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837), 517;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 456;  illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 239.  

Building: CO. CAVAN, CAVAN, ROYAL SCHOOL
Date: 1819a
Nature: Supervised building of Johnston's design. Completed 1819. Cost: £7,553. Contractor: John McMahon.
Refs: JRSAI 100 (1970), 55;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 255-6.

Building: CO. DONEGAL, FAHAN, CHURCH OF ST MURA (CI, FAHAN UPPER PARISH)
Date: 1820
Nature: Church built with loan of £1,000 from Board of First Fruits. Stone in tower over entrance inscr. 'Built AD 1820. Rev. Wm Knox, Rector'.
Refs: J.B. Leslie, Derry Clegy and Parishes (1937), 223-5;  Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 290;  F.W. Fawcett and D.W.T. Crooks, eds., Clergy of Derry & Raphoe (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1999),137(illus.).

Building: CO. CAVAN, BALLYHAISE, CHURCH (CI, CASTLETERRA PARISH)
Date: 1820
Nature: Rebuilding of 1820 'probably by John Bowden'. Cost £1,107.
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 164-5;  Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 241(illus.).
 

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, TIPPERARY, CHURCH OF ST MARY (CI)
Date: 1820-1829
Nature: 'A new garrison church was built in 1820.   The architect was Mr. Baldwin[sic] of the Board of First Fruits, which contributed £2,800 to the cost.  This building was completed in 1829, although 1839 is the date over the door.' (Clergy of Cashel) (Lewis gives date as 1830.)

Refs: Samuel Lewis, A Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837), II, 635;  Clergy of Cashel and Emly; Clergy of Leighlin (Ulster Historical Foundation, 2012), 109-111.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MOUNT STREET CRESCENT, ST STEPHEN'S CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1820-24
Nature: Designed by JB & completed after his death by Welland. Being built in 1821-22. .Consecrated 5 Dec 1824.
Refs: 4 page specification for building church, signed and dated 1820, among material from the archive of Early & Co., sold at auction by Whyte's of Molesworth Street, Dublin, 5 April 2008 (Lot 96); Saunders's News Letter, 1 Jan 1822; Dublin Penny Journal 4, 97(illus.); 'Annals of Dublin' in Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Almanac (1847); IB 51, ? ? 1909, 624-7; M.Craig, Dublin 1660-1860 (1952), 294;  exterior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 295.

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, TULLAMAIN (FETHARD), CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1820ca
Nature: New church.
Refs: Signed elevation and plan in Armagh County Museum, 8/1958, see Hugh Dixon, Ulster Architecture 1800-1900 (UAHS, 1972), 16 (no. 60)

Building: CO. WICKLOW, DUNGANSTOWN, CHURCH OF ST KEVIN (CI)
Date: 1821
Nature: JB paid £5 for his plans for enlarging church, Easter 1822..   Magin, builder, paid £70 for executing same, Easter 1823. Loan of £400 from Board of First Fruits for same.
Refs: RCB Library, 'An account of of all sums of money levied for building and repairing of churches...June 1824' (information from Frank Keohane);  Samuel Lewis, A Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837), I, 577;  exterior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 301.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, DRUMSALLAN, CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY (CI)
Date: 1821
Nature: Attr. to JB by Mulligan.
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 326.

Building: CO. DERRY, EGLINTON, CHURCH OF ST CANICE (CI, FAUGHANVALE PARISH)
Date: 1821-22
Nature: New church with pinnacled tower. Cost: £1,000 (lent by Board of First Fruits)..
Refs: Angélique Day & Patrick McWilliams, eds.Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland Vo. 36, 6; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 273; exterior illus. in Clergy of Derry & Raphoe (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1999), 78, and Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 168.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BLACKROCK, CROSS AVENUE, CHURCH OF SS PHILIP & JAMES (CI, BOOTERSTOWN PARISH)
Date: 1821-24
Nature: Church designed by JB and executed by his assistant, Joseph Welland.
Refs: Hazel P. Smyth, The Town of the road:  the story of Booterstown (2nd ed., 1994), 90-92.

Building: CO. DERRY, DERRY, CATHEDRAL OF ST COLUMB (CI)
Date: 1822
Nature: Spire possibly by JB.
Refs: Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 377

Building: CO. ARMAGH, KEADY, CHURCH STREET, CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW (CI)
Date: 1822
Nature: Additions (W tower, and 2-bay N transept) attr. to Bowden by Mulligan.
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013),365;  illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 126.

Building: CO. GALWAY, GALWAY, MARKET STREET, CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS (CI)
Date: 1822a
Nature: Proposed alterations, gallery.
Refs: Drawing by ILR[John Lushington Reilly], 24 Oct 1822, in IAA, 77/42

Building: CO. DERRY, BOVEVAGH, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1823
Nature: New church with 3-bay nave and tower; 'built in 1820 by a loan from the Board of Frist Fruits and cost 900 pounds' (OS Memoir); 'a large and handsome edifice…erected in 1823, by aid of a gift of £300 by the late Board of First Fruits.'(Lewis). 'A pretty example of the tower and hall type as designed by John Bowden, identical to churches at Faughanvale and Eglinton.' (Rowan)
Refs: A. Day, P. McWilliams & Nóirín Dobson, eds., Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland Vol. 25, 3,23; S. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837), I, 218; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 149; Clergy of Derry & Raphoe (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1999), Pt 1, 48 (illus.)

Building: CO. DERRY, AGHANLOO, CHURCH OF ST LUGHA (CI)
Date: 1823-26
Nature: New church built 'to a frequently used design by John Bowden' (Rowan). Started 12 Aug 1823 and finished 25 Mar 1825. Consecrated 2 Jul 1826.
Refs: J.B. Leslie, Derry Clegy and Parishes (1937), 92-3; W.D. Girvan, Historic Buildings in North Derry (UAHS, 1975), 40(no. 128),47(illus.); Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 355; Angélique Day & Patrick McWilliams, Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland XI, 2; Clergy of Derry & Raphoe (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1999), Pt 1, 38(illus.).

Building: CO. CAVAN, CAVAN, COUNTY COURT HOUSE
Date: 1824-25
Nature: New court house, attributed to William Farrell by Brett 'though the Parliamentary Gazetteer says it is a graceful structure, erected at a cost of £11,000, after a design by Bowden'. Also given to JB (who died in 1822) by Lawson.  Mulligan gives court house to Farrell but says that Bowden had 'proposed a design, but died in 1822. Contractor: Williams & Cockburn.
Refs: J.P. Lawson, Gazetteer of Ireland (1842), 231; C.E.B. Brett, Court Houses and Market Houses of the Province of Ulster (UAHS, 1973), 55(illus.), 56;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 252. 

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, SHRONEHILL, GLEBE HOUSE
Date: ?
Nature: Designs for same by JB.
Refs: Signed, undated plans & elevations, Surrey History Centre, Guildford Muniments, Midleton Papers 145/Box 93 (B of I).

Building: CO. ARMAGH?, EGLISH, CHURCH (CI)
Date: ?
Nature: -
Refs: NLI MS. 8821 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44)

Building: CO. DERRY, DERRY, BISHOP STREET, BISHOP'S PALACE
Date: ?
Nature: Rowan suggests JB as architect of early 19th c. alterations
Refs: North West Ulster, 393

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, MAN OF WAR ROAD (BACKING ON), HOUSE FOR ARTHUR CRAWFORD
Date: ?
Nature: New 'villa'.
Refs: Undated elevation, on paper watermarked 1810, in IAA, Acc. 82/26.

Building: CO. ANTRIM, PORTGLENONE, ERASMUS SMITH SCHOOL
Date: ?
Nature: New school.
Refs: Designs for Erasmus Smith Schools in the High School, Danum, Rathgar, Dublin.