Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Stained glass suppliers, of Soho, London, active from circa 1850 when Henry Hughes (1822-1883) replaced James Henry Nixon (1802-1857) as the partner of Thomas Ward (1808-1870). After the death of Henry Hughes the firm was taken over by Thomas Figgis Curtis and the name changed to CURTIS CURTIS , WARD & HUGHES HUGHES .

See WORKS.



References



(1) DB 8, ? ? 1866, 218.
(2) James Stevens Curl, The Londonderry Plantation, 1609-1914 (1986), 414,482n27.


18 work entries listed in chronological order for WARD & HUGHES *#


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. FERMANAGH, CLABBY, CHURCH OF ST MARGARET (CI)
Date:
Nature: 5-lancet stained glass E window in memory of Rev. J.G. Porter 1886 (Ascension, Nativity and Christ blessing Children) and triple lancet window in S wall in memory of Rev. F. Hurst, 1889 (Presentation in the Temple, Simeon blessing Christ, Virgin Mary) .
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3297/ (last visited, Dec 2014).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PARK AVENUE (SANDYMOUNT), CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI)
Date: 1852
Nature: 3 windows in sanctuary apse.
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/2985/ (last visited, Sep 2015).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MOUNT STREET CRESCENT, ST STEPHEN'S CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1852ca
Nature: 3 windows in chancel apse: Calling of SS Peter and Andrew, Stoning of St Stephen, Christ with Martha and Mary.
Refs: Illus. in Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/2955/ (last visited, Oct 2013).

Building: CO. CAVAN, KILMORE (CAVAN), CATHEDRAL OF ST FETHLIMIDH (CI)
Date: 1860
Nature: Stained glass window in S transept (Sower & Reaper) for Nesbitt family.
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3056/ (last visited, Aug 2014).

Building: CO. MAYO, CONG, CHURCH OF ST MARY (CI)
Date: 1861ca
Nature: E window, c. 1861, and window in north easternmost corner of nave both attrib. to W & H by Lawrence.
Refs: David Lawrence, 'Church of Ireland: The United Diocese of Tuam, Killala and Achonry: Stained-Glass Windows' (RCB report, 2000), I, 47

Building: CO. DOWN, SEAFORDE, CHURCH (CI, LOUGHINISLAND PARISH)
Date: 1866
Nature: 2 memorial windows erected by brother and widow of Francis Forde (d.1850).
Refs: DB 8, 1 Sep 1866, 218

Building: CO. DERRY, CULMORE, CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY (CI)
Date: 1866
Nature: E window, presented by Irish Society.
Refs: James Stevens Curl, The Londonderry Plantation, 1609-1914 (1986), 414. 

Building: CO. ARMAGH, KILLYLEA, CHURCH OF ST MARK (CI)
Date: 1867;1874
Nature: Stained glass E window in memory of Margaret Armstrong, 1874, and window in N wall of nave (Good Samaritan), 1867.
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/window/15869/ (last visited, Aug 2014).

Building: CO. DOWN, BALLYLESSON, CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY (CI, DRUMBO PARISH)
Date: 1870ca
Nature: 2 windows in S transept: covenant of David & Jonathan; death of Jonathan.
Refs: B 29, 28 Jan 1871, 72

Building: CO. GALWAY, TUAM, CATHEDRAL OF ST MARY (CI)
Date: 1871p;1873p
Nature: Window in chancel (S wall, 2nd from E) (Parable of the Sower) and west northmost window in S transept (Parable of the Prodigal Son) attrib. to studio of W & H by Lawrence.
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3052/ (last visited, Jul 2015).

Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1875
Nature: Marquess of Ormond having stained glass E window installed at cost of £1000. Copy of original window destroyed by Cromwellian soldiery.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 15, no. 165, 22 Feb 1873, 296;  Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3015/ (last visited, Aug 2015).

Building: CO. CAVAN, CAVAN, CHURCH (CI, URNEY PARISH)
Date: 1876
Nature: Quadruple lancet window in N transept (Sower & Reaper) in memory of the Rev. Joseph Carson Moore, 'executed by a London firm'.  Attrib. to Ward & Hughes by Lawrence in Gloine.
Refs: IB 18, 1 Oct 1876, 296;  Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3088/ (last visited, Jan 2014).

Building: CO. ARMAGH, GRANGE (LOUGHGALL), CHURCH OF ST AIDAN (CI)
Date: 1876
Nature: Stained glass E window (Acts of Mercy). In memory of Hester, wife of Rev. Richard Johnston. Designed by Henry Hughes.
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3396/ (last visited, Apr 2014).

Building: CO. CAVAN, KILMORE (CAVAN), CATHEDRAL OF ST FETHLIMIDH (CI)
Date: 1876
Nature: W window depicting Acts of Mercy and Parables just erected in memory of Bishop Carson.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 18, no. 209, 23 Sep 1876, 287; illus. in Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3056/ (last visited, Sep 2015).

Building: CO. DERRY, DRAPERSTOWN, CHURCH OF ST COLUMBA (CI, BALLYNASCREEN PARISH)
Date: 1877
Nature: Stained glass window (Light of the World and Good Shepherd) 'recently' erected in memory of late Rev. Samuel Montgomery. In W wall of tower.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 19, no. 216, 1 Apr 1877, 114.

Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1877
Nature: Window 'just erected' in gable of S transept in memory of Rt. Rev. Dr O'Brien, Bishop of Ossory. subjects comprise six of the great acts of faith mentionioned in Hebrews xi.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 19, no. 216, 1 Apr 1877, 117.

Building: CO. DERRY, DERRY, CLOONEY TERRACE (WATERSIDE), CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS (CI)
Date: 1877
Nature: E window (actually 6 lancets) installed, 21 Oct 1877. By Henry Hughes.
Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 19, no. 224, 1 Nov 1877.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 19, no. 224, 1 Nov 1877, 339..illus. in Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3350/ (last visited, Nov 2015).

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, TAMLAGHT (ENNISKILLEN), CHURCH OF ST TIGHERNACH (CI, DERRYVULLEN SOUTH PARISH)
Date: 1882;1904
Nature: Five lancet windows at E end, 1882, in memory of Rev. J.Y. Rutledge (Christ as Good Shepherd in centre, flanked by Sower, Reaper and angels);  double lancet in S wall of nave, 1882, in memory of William Auchinleck Dane and his daughters Florence and Anna (Christ walking on water);  double lancet in N wall of nave, 1882, in memory of Lotta and William Dane(Christ blessing children);  double lancet in N wall of nave, 1904, by Curtis, Ward & Hughes (designer George Measures Parlby), in memory of Richard Martin Dane (Christ as Light of World and Christ as Bread of Life).
Refs: gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3286/ , last visited, Dec 2014.