TUTHILL, ROBERT REEVES
- Born: 1827c Died: -
Engineer to the Newry Navigation Company. Robert Reeves Tuthill was born circa 1827 in Co. Meath, a son of Christopher Tuthill, who is described in the registers of Trinity College, Dublin, as 'navarchus' or 'captain of a ship'. He was admitted to Trinity College in 1843 at the age of sixteen and obtained the BA degree in 1848(1) and the Diploma in Civil Engineering the following year.(2) After working in England,(3) he succeeded JOHN RAMSAY as engineer to the Newry Navigation Company in 1858 or 1859(3) and held the post until 1876, when he was succeeded in turn by Bernard B. Murray.(4) He subsequently emigrated to South Africa, and was living in Port Elizabeth in 1886.(5)
ICEI: elected member, 1860;(6) auditor, 1862-1865.(7)
(1) Alumni Dublinenses, 828.
(2) R.C. Cox, compiler, Trinity College School of Engineering: 'Graduates' in Engineering 1843-1992 (1993), unpaginated.
(3) ICEI Membership Applications, I, 32.
(4) Information from Thom's directories.
(5) List of ICEI members, Jan 1887, in TICEI 17 (1885-6).
(6) See note 5, above.
(7) Jones transcripts from Thom's directories.
1 work entries listed in chronological order for TUTHILL, ROBERT REEVES
|Building:||CO. ARMAGH, MADDEN (NEAR), KNOCK BRIDGE|
|Nature:||Bridge over canal near Madden station on Belfast Junction Railway to be taken down and reconstructed under direction of RRT, Newry Navigation Co.|
|Refs:||DB 3, 15 Jun 1861, 578|