Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Belfast. Mortimer Thomson was probably a son of Mortimer Thomson (1811-1862)(1) of Killyleagh, Co. Down.(2) Details of his architectural training are not known. His earliest recorded work, the Catholic church of St Mary Star of the Sea (1861) was built in Killyleagh.(3) Later in the 1860s he designed another Catholic church, at Crossgar, Co. Down, which was begun in 1867.(4) This was favorably mentioned in the Irish Builder in April 1869 as a building which 'so far exhibiting quiet elegance and good taste, does credit to an architect whose name we meet with for the first time, Mr. M. Thompson'.(5) In 1874 or 1875 Thomson formed a partnership with TIMOTHY HEVEY  TIMOTHY HEVEY which was cut short by Hevey's untimely death in December 1878. Thomson continued to practice on his own. Although most of his recorded work was for the Catholic church, he designed at least two Presbyterian manses. An article on his religious buildings appeared in the Newtownards Chronicle of 14 July 1883.(6)

Thomson appears to have been a man of some means. In 1863 he leased Ballyboley House (also known as Mourne View) near Greyabbey, Co. Down, from Lord Dufferin with eighty-one acres of land.(7) On 28 January 1888 the Newtownards Chronicle gave a report of horse racing which had taken place on his property.(8) He died at Ballyboley House on 17 May 1894.(9)

Address: Home: Ballyboley House, Greyabbey, Co. Down, 1863 until death.

See WORKS.



References

This entry was compiled with the help of Ros Davies's Co. Down website http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rosdavies/ (2008) .

(1)
www.familysearch.org .
(2)
He is listed in Slater's National Commercial Directory (1846), 472, where he is described as clerk to the petty sessions, with an address in Shore Street, Killyleagh. His name appears on a railway prospectus of 26 May 1861 as one of the promoters of a line to Killyleagh (Davies, loc. cit., above).
(3)
C.E.B. Brett, Historic Buildings…in…East Down (UAHS, 1973), 38(illus.), 39.
(4)
IB 9, 1 Mar 1867, 68; 11, 1 Apr 1869, 80; C.E.B. Brett, Historic Buildings…in…East Down (UAHS, 1973), 47 (citing J. O'Laverty, Diocese of Down and Connor (1878), I, 336).
(5)
IB 11, 1 Apr 1869, 80.
(6)
Davies, loc. cit., above.
(7)
Information from Griffith's Valuation (Davis, loc. cit.).
(8)
Information from Newtownards Chronicle (Davis, loc. cit.).
(9)
Information from Down Recorder (Davis, loc. cit., who gives year wrongly as 1884).


23 work entries listed in chronological order for THOMSON, MORTIMER H.


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DOWN, KILLYLEAGH, IRISH STREET, CHURCH OF S. MARY STAR OF THE SEA (RC)
Date: 1859-1861
Nature: Small Gothic church, replacing one of 1832, with lancet windows and bellcote. Opened Oct 1861; 'said to be an edifice of great architectural beauty'(DB)
Refs: DB 3, 1 Nov 1861, 666; C.E.B. Brett, Historic Buildings…in…East Down (UAHS, 1973), 38(illus.),39 (citing J. O'Laverty, Diocese of Down and Connor (1878), I, 338)

Building: CO. DOWN, CROSSGAR, CHURCH OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION & S. JOSEPH (RC)
Date: 1867-1876
Nature: New church in Kilmore parish, replacing one of 1800. Gothic, with octagonal tower, in local blue stone with white Glasgow stone dressings. FS laid by Dr Dorrian 21 Feb 1867. Builder: James Gracey, Downpatrick. Stonework by Samuel Hastings. Consecrated 10 Sep 1876.
Refs: IB 9, 1 Mar 1867, 68; 11, 1 Apr 1869, 80; C.E.B. Brett, Historic Buildings…in…East Down (UAHS, 1973), 47 (citing J. O'Laverty, Diocese of Down and Connor (1878), I, 336)

Building: CO. DOWN, KILMORE, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1869
Nature: New church approaching completion.
Refs: IB 11, 1 Apr 1869, 80

Building: CO. DOWN, DOWNPATRICK, IRISH STREET, ST PATRICK'S CONVENT OF MERCY
Date: 1872-74
Nature: New convent completed at cost of over £5,000..Gothic style. Local blue stone faced with Belfast red bricks. Dressings of white Scrabo stone and black brick. Contractor: John Murphy, Belfast. Clerk of Works: S. McMullan.
Refs: IB 17, 1 Jan 1875, 9; 19, 1 Feb 1877, 34,38(illus.); J. O'Laverty, Diocese of Down & Connor (1878), ?

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, DONEGALL STREET, ST PATRICK'S CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1873-77
Nature: New cruciform church, to seat 2000, with tower and spire. Apsidal end. With Timothy Hevey. Opened 12 Aug 1877. Builder: Collen Bros., Portadown & Dublin. Decorative carving by Neill & Pearse, Dublin.
Refs: IB 16, 15 Dec 1874, 343; 17, 1 Jan 1875,3,6-7(illus.); 19, 15 Aug 1877, 245; J. O'Laverty, Diocese of Down & Connor (1878), ?; Sean O'Reilly, 'Timothy Hevey (1846-1878): an episode in Irish High Victorian architecture', Ph.D. thesis, submitted to the National University of Ireland, June 1994, 186-7

Building: CO. ARMAGH, LURGAN, DERRYMACASHED ROAD, CONVENT
Date: 1874
Nature: Adds., with Timothy Hevey. (possibly unexecuted) for Rev. James McKenna.
Refs: IB 16, 15 Dec 1874, 343; Sean O'Reilly, 'Timothy Hevey (1846-1878): an episode in Irish High Victorian architecture', Ph.D. thesis, submitted to the National University of Ireland, June 1994, 243

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, ?, ST PAUL'S ORPHANAGE
Date: 1874
Nature: Additions.
Refs: IB 16, 15 Dec 1874, 343

Building: CO. ARMAGH, LURGAN, DERRYMACASHED ROAD, PAROCHIAL HOUSE
Date: 1874
Nature: With Timothy Hevey, for Rev. James McKenna. Unexecuted? (Existing house not built until 1881)
Refs: IB 16, 15 Dec 1874, 343; Sean O'Reilly, 'Timothy Hevey (1846-1878): an episode in Irish High Victorian architecture', Ph.D. thesis, submitted to the National University of Ireland, June 1994, 223-4

Building: CO. ARMAGH, LURGAN, DERRYMACASHED ROAD, ST PATRICK'S SCHOOLS
Date: 1874
Nature: With Timothy Hevey, for Rev. James McKenna. Unexecuted. (Existing school not built until 1881)
Refs: IB 16, 15 Dec 1874, 343; Sean O'Reilly, 'Timothy Hevey (1846-1878): an episode in Irish High Victorian architecture', Ph.D. thesis, submitted to the National University of Ireland, June 1994, 223-4

Building: CO. DOWN, CARROWDORE, PRESBYTERIAN MANSE
Date: 1875
Nature: New manse costing nearly £1,000.. Contractor: Moore, Holywood.
Refs: IB 17, 1 Jan 1875, 9

Building: CO. DOWN, DOWNPATRICK, ST PATRICK'S CONVENT OF MERCY SCHOOL
Date: 1875p
Nature: New school for Sisters of Mercy. Contractor: P. & M. Nolan, Belfast.. Estimated cost about £1000. Clerk of Works: S. McMullan.
Refs: IB 17, 1 Jan 1875, 9; 19, 1 Feb 1877, 34

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, PRINCE'S DOCK STREET, ST JOSEPH'S CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1877-79
Nature: Executed by Mortimer Thomson, based on Hevey's proposal. Builder: Henry Fulton, Belfast. Clerk of Works: Robert Flanagan.
Refs: J. O'Laverty, Diocese of Down & Connor (1878), ?; Sean O'Reilly, 'Timothy Hevey (1846-1878): an episode in Irish High Victorian architecture', Ph.D. thesis, submitted to the National University of Ireland, June 1994, 190-91; Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 46 (no. 100, illus.)

Building: CO. DOWN, CASTLEWELLAN, CHURCH OF ST MALACHY (RC)
Date: 1880-1884
Nature: New Gothic church with Tower and spire, for Fr. McWilliams. FS laid by Bishop Dorrian, Jul 1880. Dedicated 7 Sep 1884 by Very Rev. V.P. Hood. Cost £15,000.
Refs: (illus.)

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, ANTRIM ROAD, ST MALACHY'S DIOCESAN SEMINARY
Date: 1881-82
Nature: Adds.
Refs: Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 38 (no. 76)

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, DERBY STREET, ST PETER'S PRO-CATHEDRAL (RC)
Date: 1886
Nature: Addition of spires at cost of £500.. Contractor: Henry Fulton, Belfast.
Refs: ? Rogers, St Peter's Pro-Cathedral 1866-1966; C.E.B. Brett, Buildings of Belfast (2nd ed., 1985), 44; Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 23 (no. 41, illus.)

Building: CO. DOWN, BANGOR, BRUNSWICK ROAD, CHURCH OF ST COMGALL (RC)
Date: 1886-1890
Nature: New Gothic Revival church with square tower, on site of chapel of 1851, for Rev. Patrick McConvey.
Refs: Marcus Patton, Bangor: an historical gazetteer (UAHS, 1999), 29

Building: CO. DOWN, HOLYWOOD, CHURCH OF ST COLUMBKILLE (RC)
Date: 1888
Nature: New tower and spire to be added to church built to designs by T. Hevey 'about fifteen years ago'. For Very Rev. P. O'Laverty, PP.
Refs: Architect 40, 7 Sep 1888, suppl. p.1; IB 30, 15 Sep 1888, 242

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BALLIVOY, HOUSE
Date: 1888
Nature: New house.
Refs: Architect 39, 22 Jun 1888, suppl. p.1

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, TOBERGILL STREET, HOUSE
Date: 1889ca
Nature: New house to be built.
Refs: Architect 41, 14 Jun 1889, suppl. p.1

Building: CO. DOWN, KILLINCHY, MANSE
Date: 1892
Nature: Adds.
Refs: Architect 47, 26 Feb 1892, suppl. p.9

Building: CO. ARMAGH, PORTADOWN, QUEEN'S HOTEL
Date: 1892
Nature: Livery stables and covered yard to be built.
Refs: Architect 47, 14 May 1892, suppl p.14

Building: CO. DOWN, DOWNPATRICK, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: 1892
Nature: Addition of tower and spire.
Refs: Architect 47, 6 May 1892, suppl. p.13

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, ORMEAU ROAD (BALLYNAFEIGH), NAZARETH HOUSE
Date: 1893-1895
Nature: Chapel block.
Refs: Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 76 (no. 171.)