TAYLOR, RICHARD 
- Born: - Died: -
Architect and/or builder who was commissioned by the Grand Jury of Co. Tyrone to build a new gaol and session house for Dungannon in 1792. According to Pigot & Co.'s City of Dublin and Hibernian Provincial Directory (1824), p. 382, the 'baronial gaol and court house' was already in decay by that date, and in 1830 a new court house was built to designs by JOHN HARGRAVE . See also RICHARD TAYLOR  and - TAYLOR .
Copies of official letters from Major General George Vaughan Hart of Kilderry, Co. Donegal, to various recipients, 1804-1805, in PRONI iinclude one or more to a 'Mr R. Taylor, architect', probably either Richard Taylor  or RICHARD TAYLOR . (1)
All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from C.E.B. Brett, Court Houses and Market Houses of the Province of Ulster (UAHS, 1973), 99.
(1) PRONI, D3077/E/26, see PRONI e-catlogue, http://applications.proni.gov.uk/LL_DCAL_PRONI_ECATNI/ResultDetails.aspx (last visited, Nov 2011)
1 work entries listed in chronological order for TAYLOR, RICHARD 
|Building:||CO. TYRONE, DUNGANNON, GEORGE'S STREET, COURT HOUSE (OLD) & GAOL|
|Nature:||RT commissioned by Grand Jury to build new court house & gaol; 'in decay' by 1824. (Gaol was underneath the court house, see Thomas Reid, Travels in Ireland (1823), 163.)
|Refs:||Pigot and Co.'s City of Dublin and Hibernian Provincial Directory (1824), 382; C.E.B. Brett, Court Houses and Market Houses of the Province of Ulster (UAHS, 1973), 99,101(illus.)|