Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Surveyor and engineer. George Taylor, a Scotsman by birth and brother of ALEXANDER TAYLOR ALEXANDER TAYLOR , trained under the Scottish surveyor Peter May. In 1775 he and Andrew Skinner published a guide to the highways of Scotland in book form, and the following year they embarked on a similar project for the roads of Ireland. Skinner had established an office in Dublin by the end of of 1776 and the two men and their team started work on their survey on 1 February 1777. Maps of the roads of Ireland was published in 1778 at a price of one guinea. A revised edition appeared in 1783 and further editions in 1785, 1786, 1803 and 1813.(1) While the first edition was in preparation Taylor and Skinner also produced a map of Co. Louth, which was published in Dublin and London on 28 September 1778.(2) Their proposal to the Dublin Society to make a three-inch map of the whole country was not taken up.

From 1779 until 1782 Taylor was in North America as a military surveyor with the British army, holding the rank of captain in the Duke of Cumberland's regiment.(3) He then went home to Aberdeen, where, according to Leckey, 'he married Barbara Thomson, bought his father's estate, and was made a freeman of the city'.(4) In 1796 he returned to Ireland to work on the improvement of the Dublin-Kilcullen turnpike. The following year he and his brother Alexander and John Anderson of Cork undertook to pay off much of the debt which the turnpike had incurred in exchange for receiving the income from the tolls. In 1804, after Anderson exchanged his interest in the turnpike for Alexander Taylor's interest in the Cork mails, the Taylor brothers became the sole recipients of the toll income.(5) In 1807 George Taylor started work on Howth Harbour but resigned in 1808 to be succeeded by JOHN RENNIE. JOHN RENNIE. (6) He was living in Camden Street, Dublin, in the 1820s. He died in 1841. He had three sons: Archibald, who was in the army, George, a road engineer - possibly GEORGE TAYLOR [3] -  GEORGE TAYLOR [3] - and William.(7)

See WORKS and BIBLIOGRAPHY. BIBLIOGRAPHY.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Sarah Bendall, ed., Dictionary of Land Surveyors and Local Map-Makers of Great Britain and Ireland 1530-1850 (2nd edition, 1997), 503.

(1) For a more detailed account of the this work see introduction by J.H. Andrews to the facsimile reprint of the first edition, Irish University Press, 1969.
(2) Andrews, loc. cit., above, ix.
(3) Joseph Leckey, 'The end of the road: the Kilcullecn Turnpike 1844-1848 compared with 1787-1792', JRSAI 113 (1993), 113.
(4) Leckey, op. cit., 114; www.familysearch.org records the marriage of a George Taylor and Barbara Thomson at the church of St Nicholas, Aberdeen, on 22 August 1784.
(5) Leckey, op. cit., 113-114.
(6) Report from the Committee on Howth Harbour (1810).
(7) Leckey, op. cit., 114.


1 work entries listed in chronological order for TAYLOR, GEORGE [1]


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HOWTH, HARBOUR
Date: 1807-08
Nature: GT employed on harbour works, 1807, but resigns, 1808.
Refs: Report from the Committee on Howth Harbour (1810)

Author Title Date Details
Taylor, George, & Skinner, Andrew Maps of the Roads of Ireland 1778 London: G. Nicol, 1778. 2nd edition, 1783. Further editions and impressions 1785,1786,1803,1813. Facsimile of 2nd edition, Irish University Press, 1969.