Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Civil engineer, of Dublin. According to Bendell, George Taylor [3] was a son of GEORGE TAYLOR [1] GEORGE TAYLOR [1] . In the early 1830s he was involved in road construction.(2) From 1839 or earlier until at least 1875 he and Arthur Creagh Taylor were in practice together in Dublin, initially as 'civil engineers, architects and builders', and eventually as 'land agents, &c.' Arthur Taylor had retired by 1882, but George was apparently still in practice as a surveyor and valuer at this date.

Addresses: 28 Holles Street, 1839; 44 Great Brunswick Street and 19 Wentworth Place, before 1845; 89 Mount Street Lower, 1844-1847; 41 Kildare Street, 1849-1850; 17 Fownes Street and Turretville, Rathmines, 1853; 17 Fownes Street and The Lodge, Leinster Road West, Rathmines, 1857-1863; 14 Anglesea Street, 1868-9; 14 Anglesea Street, Beltra, Leinster Road West and Rathgilbert, Co. Laois, 1874-1875; 11 Eustace Street and Beltra, Leinster Road West, 1882.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Post Office, Shaw's and Thom's directories and Jones's transcripts from the latter.

(1) Sarah Bendall, ed., Dictionary of Land Surveyors and Local Map-Makers of Great Britain and Ireland 1530-1850 (2nd edition, 1997), 503, but cf. Joseph Leckey, 'The end of the road: the Kilcullen Turnpike 1844-1848 compared with 1787-1792', JRSAI 113 (1993), 114.
(2) J.H. Andrews in introduction to the facsimile reprint of the 2nd edition of Taylor & Skinner's Maps of the Roads of Ireland, Irish University Press, 1969, xv, citing Report from the select committee on turnpike roads in Ireland (1832), 2530,2591.