TAYLOR, ARTHUR CREAGH
- Born: - Died: -
Architect, of Dublin, active from the 1830s until the 1870s. Arthur Creagh Taylor, who was born in 1814,(1) would appear to have been the son of a Captain Taylor(2) by his wife Jane, daughter of Arthur Gethin Creagh of Laurentinum, Co. Cork,(3) and a brother or relative of GEORGE TAYLOR  . He was apprenticed to FREDERICK DARLEY until 1835.(4) In 1841 he published an architectural pattern book, Designs for Agricultural Buildings suited to Irish Estates…To which is added Some Remarks on the Improvement of the Condition of Cottagers in this Country, by J. Naper, Esq., of Loughcrew…Co. Meath, and in 1842 he exhibited a design for a gate lodge for a Montpelier House at the Royal Hibernian Academy.(5) In 1848 he took a hundred-year lease from the Earl of Erne on a tenement on Rogerson's Quay. (6) He and George Taylor  were in business together from 1839 or earlier until 1875 or later. He appears to have retired by 1882. He died in 1894(7) and was buried in the family vault at Mount Jerome Cemetery.
RIAI: admitted associate, 1839, on the recommendation of RICHARD MORRISON , WILLIAM MURRAY and JOHN B[ENJAMIN ?] KEANE;(8) on list of members for 1850 but not on that for 1866.
Addresses: 28 Holles Street, 1839; 20 Wentworth Place, 1841; 89 Mount Street Lower, 1844-1847; 41 Kildare Street, 1849-1850; 17 Fownes Street and Turretville, Rathmines, 1853; 17 Fownes Street and The Lodge, Leinster Road West, Rathmines, 1857-1863; 14 Anglesea Street, 1869; 14 Anglesea Street, The Lodge, Leinster Road West and Rathgilbert, Co. Laois, 1874-1875; The Lodge, Leinster Road Rathmines, 1882.
See WORKS and BIBLIOGRAPHY.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Almanac, Post Office, Thom's and Shaw's directories and from Jones's transcripts from Thom's directories.
(1) Creagh's dates of birth and death are from www.familysearch.org.
(2) 'Captain Taylor' was not apparently either Alexander Taylor or George Taylor, qqv. See Joseph Leckey, 'The end of the road: the Kilcullen Turnpike 1844-1848 compared with 1787-1792', JRSAI 113 (1993), 114.
(3) Genealogy of Creagh of Bally Andrew in LGI (1904), 117.
(4) Letter to William Murray from Taylor, 28 Holles Street, 4 Nov 1839, requesting admission to Institute of Architects, in RIAI archives.
(5) IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44.
(6) Lease dated 20 Dec 1848 in PRONI, D1939/24/6/3 (see PRONI e-catalogue).
(7) See note 1, above.
(8) Proposal for his admission signed by Morrison, Murray and Keane, 25 Nov 1839, and letter from Taylor, 28 Holles Street, 29 Nov 1839, to John T. Papworth, confirming that he has read the bye-laws, in RIAI archives (photographs in IAA).
2 work entries listed in chronological order for TAYLOR, ARTHUR CREAGH
|Building:||?, ?, MONTPELIER HOUSE|
|Nature:||Design for gate lodge exh. RHA.|
|Refs:||E.McP. (but not in RHA Index)|
|Building:||CO. MEATH, WHITEWOOD LODGE (NOBBER)|
|Nature:||Gate lodge, for Lord Gormanston.|
|Refs:||Information from Dixie Dean.|
|Taylor, Arthur Creagh||Designs for Agricultural Buildings suited to Irish Estatesâ€¦.To which is added Some Remarks on the Improvement of the Condition of Cottagers in this Countr, by J. Naper, Esq., of Loughcrewâ€¦Co. Meath||1841||Dublin: Grant and Bolton, 1841.|