- Born: - Died: 1768
Architect and engineer, of Limerick, whose death was reported in Faulkner's Dublin Journal for 15-17 September 1768; the notice described him as an architect who had 'conducted the Shannon Navigation and Public Works of the city, for several years past'.(1) According to the Architectural Publication Society's Dictionary Uzuld or Usulle, who was born circa 1720,(2) is said to have been Dutch in origin.(3) He was deputy to WILLIAM OCKENDEN when an unsuccessful attempt was being made to create a navigable passage between Killaloe and Limerick circa 1760.(4) He is credited by Ferrar with the design of a new bridge in Limerick, which was erected in 1761-62 to connect the old city with Newtown Pery.(5) In partnership with Andrew Welsh, he also built the Lock Mill on the canal in Limerick, completed in 1764 at a cost of £6000.(6) He married Susanna Morgan in Limerick in April 1760.(7) His will was proved in the Prerogative Court in 1768(8) and his widow's fourteen months later.(9)
(1) His death is also noted in the Freeman's Journal, 17-20 Sep 1768.
(3) APSD, L, 91, and U, 10 (under Usulle); the name appears to have been fairly common in England, however.
(4) Ruth Delany, A Celebration of 250 years of Ireland's inland waterways (1988), 50.
(5) J. Ferrar, The History of Limerick…to the year 1787 (1787), ?; it was replaced by the Mathew Bridge in 1844-6.
(6) See note 4, above, and M. Lenihan, Limerick; its history and antiquities (1866), 355, 436. A photograph of the mills, which Uzuld may well have designed, is in Jim Kemmy & Larry Walsh, Limerick in old picture postcards(1997), unpaginated.
(7) See note 2, above.
(8) Abstract of will, granted 13 Dec 1768 in NA, Ref: T/12573/62.
(9) Abstract of will, granted 13 Feb 1770, in NA, Ref: T/12573/63.
2 work entries listed in chronological order for UZULD, EDWARD
|Building:||CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, NEW BRIDGE|
|Nature:||FS laid 9 Jun 1761. Opened Sep 1762. Cost: £1,800. (Replaced by Father Mathew Bridge, 1844)|
|Refs:||J. Ferrar, The History of Limerick…to the year 1787 (1787), ?; Patrick Fitzgerald & John James McGregor, The history, topography, and antiquities, of the county and city of Limerick (Dublin, 1826-7), II, 612; M. Lenihan, Limerick; its history and antiquities (1866), 476; APSD, V, L, 91|
|Building:||CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, LOCK MILL|
|Nature:||Completed in 1764 at a cost of £6000. For Andrew Welsh and Edward Uzuld (who may well have been the architect).|
|Refs:||M. Lenihan, Limerick; its history and antiquities (1866), 355, 436; illus. in Jim Kemmy & Larry Walsh, Limerick in old picture postcards(1997), No. 33(illus.)|