- Born: - Died: -
Architect, of Donegall Place, Belfast, and Glasgow, for whom see Dictionary of Scottish Architects (www.scottisharchitects.org.uk). In 1863 Francis Stirrat (or Stirratt) was taken into partnership by JAMES HAMILTON  , of Glasgow, to open a branch office in Belfast. Stirrat and Hamilton were associated in the design of three buildings in Belfast and Co. Down in 1866,(1) but from 1867 until at least 1871 Stirrat was practising independently in Belfast as an architect and 'architect's surveyor'(2) . He was one of the unsuccessful entrants in the Belfast Board of Guardians schools competition of 1872(3) and is presumably the Stirrat of 'Stirrat & Co.' who designed alterations for Geraldstown House, Navan, Co. Meath, in the same year.(4) He had returned to Glasgow by 1879, when he entered and won the competition for Govanhill Burgh Hall. His pupils and assistants while he was in Belfast included JOHN RUSSELL .
RIAI: elected fellow 27 June 1867, having been proposed by WILLIAM FOGERTY , THOMAS DREW and JOHN MCCURDY ;(5) still on list of fellows in 1871(6) but no longer so in 1878.(7)
Address: Donegall Place Buildings, 3 Donegall Place, Belfast, 1867-1871.(8)
(1) DB 8, 1 Mar,15 May 1866, 66,133.
(2) Marcus Patton, Central Belfast: an historical gazetteer (UAHS, 1993), 103.
(3) B 30, 30 Nov 1872, 950; he was one of the deputation of architects who protested to the Board of Guardians about the choice of Young & Mackenzie's design.
(4) Priced measurement of additional works, 4 Apr 1872, in IAA, PKS B05/37, 604-611.
(7) RIAI council meeting minutes, 9 Apr 1867, 81; general meeting minutes, 18 Apr,27 Jun 1867, 208,210.
(8) RIAI Sessional Papers 1863-4 to 1869-70, list of members [c. Oct 1871].
(9) MS list of members, 1878, in RIAI archives.
(10) Patton, loc. cit., above, states that Stirrat had his office circa 1870 at a building on the site of Nos. 7-9 Donegall Sq, which was destroyed by fire in 1876.
8 work entries listed in chronological order for STIRRAT, FRANCIS
|Building:||CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, HIGH STREET, SHOPS|
|Nature:||To be erected by the architects Mssrs. Hamilton & Stirrat.|
|Refs:||DB 8, 1 Mar 1866, 66|
|Building:||CO. DOWN, GLENCRAIG (CRAIGAVAD), PARSONAGE|
|Nature:||New parsonage to be built for Glencraig church. Designed by 'Mssrs. Hamilton & Sirrat'(sic).|
|Refs:||DB 8, 15 May 1866, 133|
|Building:||CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, WELLINGTON PLACE, WAREHOUSE|
|Nature:||Conversion of dwelling house into warehouse, by 'Hamilton & Stirratt'.|
|Refs:||DB 8, 15 May 1866, 133|
|Building:||CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, HIGH STREET (& CHURCH LANE), WILLIAM REID|
|Nature:||'a classic composition of Grecian and Italian blended…rather ornate…faced with and having dressings of cement'. Erected for Mr William Reid. Builder: John Murphy.|
|Refs:||IB 9, 15 Jan 1867, 21; Marcus Patton, Central Belfast: an historical gazetteer (UAHS, 1993), 188|
|Building:||CO. DOWN, CASTLE WARD|
|Nature:||Additions at either end of house, one including new main entrance with porch.. For Edward, 4th Viscount Bangor.|
Signed drawings (plans, elevation, sections, perspective view), dated 1869, in National Trust collection, Castle Ward. Inv. Nos. 834280-834286, see http://www.nationaltrustcollections.org.uk/search/1 (last visited Jan 2013).
|Building:||CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, GREAT VICTORIA STREET, NO. 113 (SYNAGOGUE)|
|Nature:||Ruskinian Gothic. (Demolished 1993.)|
|Refs:||Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 42 (no. 87, illus.); Marcus Patton, Central Belfast: an historical gazetteer (UAHS, 1993),168,172(illus.); Sharman Kadish, Jewish Heritage in England(English Heritage, 2006), 205|
|Building:||CO. MEATH, GERALDSTOWN HOUSE (NAVAN)|
|Nature:||Alts., for Capt. Ball. Architect: 'Stirrat & Co.' (i.e. FS?) Contractor: Hammond.|
|Refs:||IAA, PKS B05/37, A06 (Mar 1872)|
|Building:||CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, LISBURN ROAD, UNION SCHOOL|
|Nature:||Competition entrant and member of deputation of unsuccessful entrants who made representations to the Board about the selection of YOUNG & MACKENZIE's design, 19 Nov 1872..|
|Refs:||B 30, 30 Nov 1872, 950|