Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Belfast. According to the 1911 census, Samuel George Goligher, who was born in Belfast in 1902 or 1903, was the oly son of  George Goligher, collar cutter, of 7 Artana Street, Cromac, Belfast, and his wife, Annie.   He entered the office of SAMUEL STEVENSON  SAMUEL STEVENSON in Belfast in 1918, at the age of sixteen. He remained in the practice - known as SAMUEL STEVENSON & SAMUEL STEVENSON & amp; SONS after Samuel Stevenson's death in 1924 - for the rest of his long career, becoming a partner in 1943 and senior partner in 1952. He was joined by Ted Phillipson in 1957 and John Niblock in 1968. He appears to have retired in the early 1970s and was still living in 1982.

RIBA: elected associate (Special Final Examination), 3 December 1934, having been proposed by THOMAS R. EAGAR THOMAS R. EAGAR , JAMES R. YOUNG  JAMES R. YOUNG and N. FITZSIMONS FITZSIMONS ;(1) elected fellow, 1956.(2)
RSUA: associate by 1937.

Addresses: Work: 83 Royal Avenue, Belfast, 1918-1973.
Home: 56 Bawnmore Road, Belfast, 1934;(3) 8-10 Annadale Avenue, 1971;(4) 4 Greenwood Avenue, 1974-1979; 4 Bladon Court, 1982.

For WORKS see SAMUEL STEVENSON & SAMUEL STEVENSON & amp; SONS.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the leaflet Samuel Stevenson and Sons 1886-1986(Architectural Publications, Ltd., Belfast) and from lists of RSUA members in RSUA year books and Thom's directories.

(1) RIBAJ 41 (1933-34), 1074; RIBAJ 42 (1934-35), ?.
(2) RIBA Kalendar 1957-1958, 231.
(3) See note 1, above.
(4) Belfast & Northern Ireland Directory (1971), 19.