STELFOX, ARTHUR WILSON
- Born: 1883 Died: 1972
Architect, of Belfast and Dublin. Arthur Stelfox, a son of JAMES STELFOX , was born on 15 December 1883 and educated at Campbell College, Belfast, from 1895 to 1900. He was a pupil of WILLIAM JOHN FENNELL in Belfast from 1901 to 1903, remaining in the office as an assistant until 1905. He also attended the Architectural Association's Schools and the Belfast School of Art and travelled in France and England. On becoming an associate of the RIBA in 1908, he set up in independent practice in Belfast. He remained in Belfast until at least 1914 but had moved to the Dublin suburb of Rathmines by 1922. He was still living at the same address in Rathmines in 1956. He died on 19 May 1972.
Stelfox was a keen and well-known naturalist. For his activities in this capacity, see Robert Lloyd Praeger, Some Irish Naturalists: a biographical notebook (Dundalgan Press, Dundalk, 1949), 158-159. Volume 17 of the Irish Naturalists' Journal which was published in 1973, the year after his death, was dedicated to him.
RIBA: passed preliminary exam, June 1904;(1) passed intermediate exam (in 12th place), June 1907;(2) passed final exam, June 1908;(3) elected associate, 2 November 1908, having been proposed by W.J. Fennell, WILLIAM JOHN GILLILAND and NICHOLAS FITZSIMONS. (4)
Addresses: Work: Scottish Temperance Buildings, Donegall Square South, Belfast, 1914.
Home: Oakleigh, Ormeau Park, Belfast, 1904;(5) 3 Chlorine Gardens, Malone Road, Belfast, 1907;(6) Delamore, Chlorine Gardens, Belfast, 1908; Mayfield, 14 Clareville Road, Rathmines, Dublin, <=1922->=1956.(7)
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Directory of British Architects 1834-1914 (RIBA 2001), II, 691. The information about Stelfox as a naturalist was kindly provided by Keith Haines, Campbell College, Belfast.
(1) RIBAJ 11 (1903-4), 479.
(2) RIBAJ 14 (1906-7), 622.
(3) RIBAJ 15 (1907-8), 537.
(4) RIBAJ 16 (1908-9), 40.
(5) See note 1, above.
(6) See note 2, above.
(7) See note 3, above.
(8) Who's Who in Architecture 1923, 234, and Thom's directories.