Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect. According to the 1911 census,  William Needham Spence, elder son of ARTHUR WILLIAM SPENCE ARTHUR WILLIAM SPENCE , iron founder and mechanical engineer, of Cork Street, Dublin, was born in Co. Dublin circa in 1894 or 1895. He had become a pupil in the office of BATCHELOR & BATCHELOR & amp; HICKS  HICKS by 1914, when he exhibited 'an excellent set of measured drawings of Trinity College chapel' at the exhibition of stuendents' work at the Metropolitan School of Art.(1)
. His studies were interrupted by service in the First World War. He joined up in 1916 with a commission in the Royal Engineers, served in Mesopotamia and was mentioned in dispatches. After the war he worked in London, first with the firm of Campbell Jones, Sons, & Smithers and later in the Ministry of Supply, where he held an appointment at the time of his death. He died on 15 January 1956, aged sixty-one.

AAI: elected member, 1913; winner of Downes Bronze Medal for measured drawings for session 1913-14.(2)
RIBA: probationer, 1913;(3) student, 1914;(4) associate (special war exam), 1921.(5)

Addresses: Home: Lithgow, 12 Oakley Road, Ranelagh, <=1911-1914;(6) Ranelagh, 1921;(7) 24 Rutland Park Mansions, Willesden Green, London NW2, 1923.(8)



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the brief obituary by F.G. Hicks in RIBAJ 63 (1955-56), 404.

(1) Freeman's Journal, 26 Dec 1914. The drawings were published in AJ 57, 21 Mar 1923, 528-531.
(2) AAI Green Book (1915), 46. The prizewinning drawings were presumably the measured drawings of Trinity College chapel, see note 1, above.
(3) RIBAJ 20 (1912-13), 650.
(4) RIBAJ 22 (1914-14), 120.
(5) RIBAJ 28 (1920-21), 146.
(6) See notes 2 & 3, above.
(7) See note 4, above.
(8) Who's Who in Architecture 1923, 232.


Author Title Date Details
Spence, William Needham 'The Chapel, Trinity College, Dublin'
1923 AJ , 21 Mar 1923, 528-531, 581,583