SMITHSON, THOMAS *
- Born: - Died: -
Timber merchant and builder, of Dublin. Thomas Smithson was probably a son of JOHN SMITHSON (q.v.) with whom he was in partnership from 1800 until 1805. From 1806 until 1817 Wilson's Dublin Directory lists him as a timber merchant and builder at 59 North King Street (1806-16) and at 60 North King Street (1817). He was admitted a freeman of Dublin by Grace Especial at Michaelmas 1805 as a member of the Carpenters' Guild.(1)
Thomas Pleasants (1729-1818) was a patron of Smithson's. In 1815 when he announced his intention of presenting the Dublin Society with a gateway and lodges for the Botanic Gardens, he asked Smithson to prepare the plans and execute them. The work was badly carried out, however, and needed immediate repairs. As a result Pleasants removed the instruction in his will that Smithson should design and execute a monument to his father-in-law Sergeant George Daunt, for which he had provided £300, and instructed that another architect should be appointed.(2)
(1) 'An alphabetical list of the Freemen of the City of Dublin, 1774-1824', The Irish Ancestor XV (1983), Nos. 1 & 2, 114.
(2) Beatrice Bayley Butler, 'Thomas Pleasants 1729-1818', Dublin Historical Record41, No. 4 (Sep 1988), 178; as Smithson was Pleasants' chosen architect, it is possible that he also designed and/or built the Stove Tenter House, Cork St, for Pleasants in 1814.