Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect or builder, of Dublin. Robert Somerset was admitted to the Dublin Society's School for Drawing in Architecture on 1 March 1782(1) and to the School of Landscape and Ornament in 1787.(2) A 'Robert Somersett' was admitted a freeman of the City of Dublin as a member of the Carpenters' Guild by virtue of service at Christmas 1795(3) and a Robert Somerset prepared plans for an addition to Monaghan county gaol in 1811.(4) An 'R. Somerset' signed drawings for the Erasmus Smith School at Beltiny, Co. Tyrone, in 1813.(5)  He is probably also the 'Mr Somerst, Architect' who was paid £617.5s.5d. for roofing and repairs to Ematris Church of Ireland church in 1814.(6)

See WORKS.



References



(1) IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44. (but not in MS. transcript from Royal Dublin Society minutes of School of Drawing in Architecture admissions and prizewinners in IAA.
(2) Gitta Willemson, The Dublin Society Drawing Schools 1746-1876 (2000), 90.
(3) 'An alphabetical list of the Freemen of the City of Dublin, 1774-1824', The Irish Ancestor XV (1983), Nos. 1 & 2, 112.
(4) NA/SPO 547/353/5 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44).
(5) Signed and dated elevations and plans in Erasmus Smith drawings collection, High School, Danum, Zion Road, Rathgar, Dublin.
(6) RCB Library, 'An account of of all sums of money levied for building and repairing of churches...June 1824' (information from Frank Keohane).


3 work entries listed in chronological order for SOMERSET, ROBERT


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. MONAGHAN, MONAGHAN, COUNTY GAOL
Date: 1811
Nature: Plans for addition, signed and dated March 1811.
Refs: NA/SPO 547/353/5 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44)

Building: CO. TYRONE, BELTINY, ERASMUS SMITH SCHOOL
Date: 1813
Nature: Plans for same by 'R. Somerset' approved. For Rev. Francis Gervais.
Refs: Signed and dated elevations and plans in Erasmus Smith drawings collection, High School, Danum, Zion Road, Rathgar, Dublin.

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, EMATRIS, CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST (CI)
Date: 1814
Nature: 'Mr Somerset, Architect' paid £617.5s.5d 'for roofing, repairing walls, windows, and doors and other work done, as per bill and receipt'.
Refs: RCB Library, 'An account of of all sums of money levied for building and repairing of churches...June 1824' (information from Frank Keohane).