Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Belfast, active in the 1820s and 1830s. William Smith was the architect of May Street Presbyterian Church and the Belfast Savings Bank, both of 1829, though Brett finds it hard to believe that designs of such different quality could have been produced by the same man. W. Smith of Belfast also designed the Lying-In Hospital in the Antrim Road, opened in 1830, and 'Mr Smyth' of Belfast the Doric Wesleyan church in Linenhall Street, Derry, opened in 1835.(1)

Address: 5 Castle Lane, 1841.(2)

See WORKS.



References



(1) C.E.B. Brett, Buildings of Belfast (2nd ed., 1985), 20-21.
(2) Martin's Belfast Directory for 1841-42, 81.


4 work entries listed in chronological order for SMITH, WILLIAM [2]


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, MAY STREET, PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Date: 1828-29
Nature: New church with Ionic portico. Builder: John Brown.
Refs: APSD, B, 56; C.E.B. Brett, Buildings of Belfast (2nd ed., 1985), 21; Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 6 (no. 9, illus.); Marcus Patton, Central Belfast: an historical gazetteer (UAHS, 1993), 219(illus.),229-30

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, KING STREET, BELFAST SAVINGS BANK
Date: 1829a
Nature: New bank with shallow Ionic porch. (Demolished, 1984.) Supervising architect Joseph (?probably James) Boyd.
Refs: C.E.B. Brett, Buildings of Belfast (2nd ed., 1985), 21; C.E.B. Brett, MS. architect files; Marcus Patton, Central Belfast: an historical gazetteer (UAHS, 1993), 207-9

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, ANTRIM ROAD, LYING-IN HOSPITAL
Date: 1830a
Nature: New hospital by 'W. Smith' opened 1830; 'plain stucco box'. (Demolished, 1904.). Builder: A. Moody.
Refs: C.E.B. Brett, Buildings of Belfast (2nd ed., 1985), 21-22; C.E.B. Brett architects files, citing 'Stephenson'.

Building: CO. DERRY, DERRY, LINENHALL STREET, METHODIST CHURCH
Date: 1834-35
Nature: New church by 'Mr Smyth' of Belfast. Large grant given by Irish Society. Doric. In progress, 1834. Opened 8 Nov 1835.
Refs: S. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837), II, 305; Report of a visit to the estates of the Honorable the Irish Society in Londonderry and Coleraine in the year 1834 (1834), ?; C.E.B. Brett architects files, citing 'O[rdnance]/S[survey] Derry 1837'; C.E.B. Brett, Buildings of Belfast (2nd ed., 1985), 22