SMYTHE, VIVIAN DU BEDAT
- Born: 1889/90 Died: -
Architect and engineer, of Dublin and Bournemouth. According to the Dublin census of 1911, Vivian Smythe, son of Alfred Smythe, JP, of 50, Kenilworth Square, Rathgar, was born in Dublin in 1889 or 1890. He was living in Carlisle when he was elected a member of the AAI in 1917 but had returned to Dublin by the following year. By 1922 he had moved to Southampton and was still there when he resigned from the RIAI in 1930. There is no evidence that he returned to Ireland. Only one work, a new belfry at Harold's Cross church (1915) is recorded in the Irish Builder.(1)
AAI: elected member, 1917; resigned, 1923.
RIAI: elected member, 1919;(2) resigned, 1930.(3)
Addresses: 50 Kenilworth Square, Rathgar, 1915; 44 Broad Street, Carlisle, 1917; 50 Kenilworth Square, Rathgar, 1918; 38 Brighton Square, Rathgar, 1919-1921; Cheam House, Exeter Road, Bournemouth, 1922; Sherwood, Irving Road, West Southbourne, Bournemouth, 1924-1930.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Thom's Directory for 1907 abd 1915 and AAI and RIAI membership lists.
(1) IB 57, 24 Apr 1915, 197.
(2) JRIAI (1920), 4.
(3) JRIAI (1931), 16.
1 work entries listed in chronological order for SMYTHE, VIVIAN DU BEDAT
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HAROLD'S CROSS, CHURCH (CI)|
|Nature:||New belfry to house bell presented by A.W. Spence. Bell, which 'sounds a tenor note in D natural', made by Wm. Spence & Son, Cork St, Dublin|
|Refs:||IB 57, 24 Apr 1915, 197.|