County surveyor for Cos. Leitrim, 1834-1836, and Sligo, 1836-1872. Noblett St Leger was the fourth son of Heyward St Leger (1771-1847), of Heyward's Hill, Co. Cork, and his wife Matilda, née Rogers. He worked for He was appointed county surveyor for Co. Leitrim in May 1834; at the time of his appointment he appears to have been working in Waterford, where he and SAMSON CARTER made a survey of the harbour for the Harbour Commissioners, published in London in 1835. In October 1836 he was transferred from Co. Leitrim to Co. Sligo, where he remained for the rest of his life. From 1849 or earlier until 1853 he was also engineer to the borough of Sligo. He was one of the draughtsmen who drew views and plans of properties for inclusion in the rentals prepared for their sale according to the provisions of the Incumbered Esatates Act of 1849.
St Leger died suddenly on 8 April 1872 and was buried in Sligo cemetery on Cleveragh Road He had married Elizabeth Catherine Cullen (d. 1887) second daughter of John James Cullen of Skreeney, Co. Leitrim, in March 1836. Their only child, Heyward, died in infancy. According to his sister-in-law Kate Cullen, he was a reliable and congenial man, who 'came from a musical family, and sang himself in a pleasing manner'. He was succeeded in the Sligo surveyorship by CHARLES BOOTH JONES.
ICEI: founder member, 1835.
GLFI: member of Lodge 20, Sligo, in 1855-57.
Addresses: Home: Quay St, Sligo; Wine Street, Sligo; The Mall, Sligo, <=1845-<=1972.
See WORKS, BIBLIOGRAPHY.
The fullest account of Rogers's life and particularly of his career as a county surveyor is in Brendan O'Donoghue, The Irish County Surveyors 1834-1944 (Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2007), 286-287. References and information supplied to the compiler of this database by Brendan O'Donoghue are marked B.O'D. All other information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Hilary Pyle, The Sligo-Leitrim World of Kate Cullen 1832-1913(1997), 19, 30, 79,119.
Dublin Evening Post, 20 May 1834 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44).
Mealy's auction, Books & Manuscripts, 18 May 2004, Lot 688.
Jones transcripts from Thom's directories; according to Pyle, op. cit., above, 79, he fell out with John Benson.
His view of Tanrego House, Co. Sligo, sold on 26 Jan 1855, is repr. in Mary Cecilia Lyons, Illustrated Incumbered Estates Ireland, 1850-1905 (1993), 131.
Inscription on mausoleum in Sligo cemetery (B.O'D.).
See note 1, above.
See note 1, above.
Photocopy of transcript of minutes of first meeting of Engineers' Society of Ireland, 6 Aug 1835, in IAA, Jones File F73; IB 12, 15 Aug 1870, 197.
GLFI archives, Dublin.
Dates from Jones transcripts from Thom's directories.