SLATER & CARPENTER #
- Born: - Died: -
Architectural partnership formed between WILLIAM SLATER and RICHARD HERBERT CARPENTER in 1863 and continuing until Slater's death in 1872. All their work in Ireland was for Church of Ireland churches. They designed St Mary's, Crumlin Road, Belfast, and St Patrick's, Ardragh, Co. Monaghan, both of 1865-8. They also enlarged St Mark's, Armagh (1867) and added a chancel and a McClintock family mausoleum to Drumcar church, Co. Louth (1868). Their 'elaborate plans' for the restoration of the cathedral on the Rock of Cashel, Co. Tipperary, were not executed,(1) nor their proposal of 1868 for enlarging the church at Carrickmacross, Co. Monaghan.
(1) IB 9, 15 Mar 1867, 127
6 work entries listed in chronological order for SLATER & CARPENTER #
|Building:||CO. MONAGHAN, CORVALLEY, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI, ARDRAGH PERPETUAL CURACY)|
|Nature:||New church, paid for and endowed by E.P. Shirley (of Lough Fea). FS laid by his son, 23 Nov 1865. Simple oblong building with apsidal sanctuary with alabaster-lined walls and Minton tiles on floor. Chancel arch of green Gaway marble. Consecrated 13 Oct 1868. Intended eventually to form chancel of much larger church. Shirley family vault in crypt below sanctuary. Builder: Parks, Carrickmacross. Stained glass: Clayton & Bell. Marble work by Sibthorpe, Dublin. (According to Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette, church was 'from the design of W. Slone, Esq.').
|Refs:||DB 7, 1 Dec 1865, 286; B 27, 9 Jan 1869, 33; Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 10, no. 113, 20 Oct 1868, 229; J.B. Leslie, Clogher Clergy and Parishes (1929), 114; A catalogue of the Bradshaw Collection of Irish books in the University Library Cambridge (1916), II, 1011; illus. in Clergy of Clogher (Ulster Historical Foundation, 2006), Part 1, 17; Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 294- 5. St. Patrick's Church, Ardragh Parish, Shanco, Corvalley, Carrickmacross, Co.Monaghan, http://www.carrickmacross.clogher.anglican.org/Ardragh%20Parish%20History%20draft%20notes.pdf (last visited, Apr 2014).|
|Building:||CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, CRUMLIN ROAD, ST MARY'S CHURCH (CI)|
|Nature:||New cruciform church in Early Pointed Gothic style with tower and spire built under auspices of Church Extension & Endowment Society .. External facing of white Scrabo stone. FS laid 27 Oct 1865. To seat 650. Cons. 26 Nov 1868. Contractor: James Henry. Estimated cost £2,400 but eventual cost £6,500. (Was work supervised by Lanyon, Lynn & Lanyon, see PKS account books, A03 (Sep 1865)?). (Church blitzed, 1941, and restored, 1946.)
Signed drawings (elevation, section of roof and details), dated Feb 1866 (date of contract, 9 Aug 1866), in RCB Library, portfolio 6 (illus. in RCB website www.archdrawing.ireland.anglican.org); drawing exh. at Dublin International Exhibition of Arts & Manufactures, 1865 (no.162); DB 7, 1 Jul,1 Nov 1865, 161,264; 8, 15 May 1866, 133; IB 9, 15 Jan 1867, 21; 10, 1 Feb,1 Dec 1868, 33,293; 11, 1 Jan 1869, 9; B 23, 18 Nov 1865, 818; 27, 9 Jan 1869, 33; Armagh Guardian, 2 Nov 1865; Irish Churchman, 2, no. 4, 15 May 1869, 50; C.E.B. Brett, Buildngs of Belfast (2nd ed., 1985), 48; Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 34 (no. 67, illus.); exterior also illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 219.
|Building:||CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, MALL, CHURCH OF ST MARK (CI)|
|Nature:||Extension of aisles & nave, new polygonal chancel, new vestry. Tenders invited, Apr 1866. Consecrated, 6 Sep (or 7?) 1868. Contractor: John Waldron, Abbeyleix. 'The new part of the church has the appearance frojmthe western end of being a large chancel, but it is, in fact, an elongation of the old building with an apse at the end. In it are contained the organ and seats for the choir, the primate's seat, the prayer desk, lectern and pulpit.'(Irish Churchman)
Signed drawing(s), also signed by contractor, Jan 1867, and countersigned by Welland & Gillespie,, in RCB Library Library, folio 2A; Armagh Guardian, 24 Nov 1865, 13 Apr 1866, 11 Sep 1868; Irish Churchman 1, no. 8, 19 Sep 1868, 118; IB 10, 15 Sep 1868, 233; Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 115-6, Pl.79.
|Building:||CO. TIPPERARY, CASHEL, ROCK OF CASHEL, CATHEDRAL|
|Nature:||S & C submit 'elaborate plans' for restoration of same.|
|Refs:||IB 9, 15 Mar 1867, 127|
|Building:||CO. LOUTH, DRUMCAR, CHURCH OF ST FINTAN (CI)|
|Nature:||Addition of chancel and octagonal McClintock Mausoleum.|
|Refs:||Designs, signed and dated Apr 1868, in RCB Library, portfolio 2B; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 249-50|
|Building:||CO. MONAGHAN, CARRICKMACROSS, CHURCH OF ST FINNBARR (CI, MAGHEROSS PARISH)|
|Nature:||Unexecuted proposal for addition of S aisle and polygonal chancel.
Set of 4 signed designs, 27 Oct 1868, in possession of Carrickmacross church vestry (2010) (photographs in IAA).