Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of London, for whom see Directory of British Architects 1834-1914 (RIBA 2001), II, 628. Apart from alterations at Kilruddery, Co. Wicklow, for the eleventh Earl of Meath, all Slater's recorded work in Ireland - both before and after he entered into partnership with RICHARD HERBERT CARPENTER  RICHARD HERBERT CARPENTER in 1863 - was for the Church of Ireland. Before forming the partnership with Carpenter, he designed the cathedral of St Fethlimidh at Kilmore, Co. Cavan (1857-60) and Christ Church, Bray, Co. Dublin (1860-63). Between 1858 and 1863 he also restored the east end of Limerick cathedral and re-roofed the nave and south aisle.

See WORKS; see also works of SLATER & CARPENTER. SLATER & CARPENTER.




7 work entries listed in chronological order for SLATER, WILLIAM #


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. CAVAN, KILMORE (CAVAN), CATHEDRAL OF ST FETHLIMIDH (CI)
Date: 1857-1860;1869
Nature: New cruciform cathedral in Middle Pointed Gothic style, not far from old cathedral which was part of episcopal palace. Norman door from old cathedral incorporated in vestry. FS laid by Lady Farnham, 19 May 1858 (Blacker says 20 Jun 1858). Consecrated, 17 Jul 1860. Cost: £8,000 (excl. fittings). Builder: William Hague, Cavan. Bishop's throne and reredos carved by Forsyth, London. Font & pulpit by Purdy & Outhwaite, Dublin. S transept window by Ward & Hughes, S aisle window by Clayton & Bell. Minton tiles in chancel. SE porch added, 1869.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 1, no. 27 (Jun 1858), 547; B.H. Blacker, 'Sketches of Irish Churches' in Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 15, no. 165, 22 Feb 1873, 300;  B 16, 15 May 1858, 343;  B 18, 18,25 Aug 1860, 528(illus.),529(illus.),548; DB 3, 1 Aug 1861, 586,587(illus.);  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 392;  Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 232-238(illus.)


Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, BRIDGE STREET, CATHEDRAL OF ST MARY (CI)
Date: 1858-63
Nature: Restoration of E end, including new E window.  Stained glass of E window: Clayton & Bell to design by WS (memorial to Augustus Stafford, MP). New roof over nave. Restoration of S transept paid for by widow of Thomas Westropp, merchant, of Limerick.. Builder: Ryan & Son, Limerick. .  Also Westropp family monument in S transept (executed by Henry Poole & Son, Westminster).
Refs: Drawing exh. Dublin International Exhibition of Art & Manufacture 1865, No. 166; B 16, 13 Feb,25 Sep 1858, 115,651; 21, 3 Jan,8 Jul 1863, 17,517;  Civil Engineer and Architect's Journal  21 (May 1858), (Oct 1858), 350, 171;   DB 2, 1 Sep,1 Dec 1860, 329,378; 3, 1,15 Sep 1861, 618,633-4; 7, 1 Jul 1865, 161;  Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 4, no. 40 (15 Oct 1862), 597;  M. Lenihan, Limerick; its history and antiquities (1866), 602; Lynda Mulvin, 'St Mary's Cathedral, Limerick: unpublished correspondence of the cathedral restoration in the nineteenth century', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 4 (2001), 185-193.

Building: CO. WICKLOW, BRAY, CHURCH ROAD, CHRIST CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1860-63;1864-65
Nature: New Gothic church to accommodate 1,000 people on site which is part of property of late Lord Herbert.  Nave, chancel, side aisles, tower, through which is principal entrance.Work supervised by Gillespie. FS laid 15 Sep 1861. Consecrated 25? Jul 1863. Work supervised by William Gillespie. Contractor: T.H. Carroll. Tower and spire erected 1864-5 (Contractor: John Butler).
Refs: Drawing(s) for new church, signed and dated Sep 1860, in RCB Library, portfolio 13; drawing exhibited at Dublin International Exhibition of Art & Manufactures, 1865 (no.163); IAA, PKS B02/16, A03 (Apr,Sep 1860, Apr,Sep,Oct 1861, pp.37v,38v, 89v,90v), L1 (pp.40,41,43-46,66,503,&c.);   B 16, 7 Aug 1858, 539;19, 3 Aug,14 Sep 1861, 533,636;  DB 3, 15 May 1861, 519; 5, 1 Aug 1863, 133; 6, 1 Aug 1864, 154; 7, 1 Jun 1865, 143;  Irish Times, 7 Sep 1861;  Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 2, no. 27 (15 Sep 1861), 296;   B.H. Blacker,Sketches of Irish Churches (Dublin, 1871-73), ?;  exterior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 287 (which states that spire was erected in 1870). 

Building: CO. WICKLOW, BRAY, CHURCH ROAD, CHRIST CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1860-63;1864-65
Nature: New Gothic church to accommodate 1,000 people on site which is part of property of late Lord Herbert.  Nave, chancel, side aisles, tower, through which is principal entrance.Work supervised by Gillespie. FS laid 15 Sep 1861. Consecrated 25? Jul 1863. Work supervised by William Gillespie. Contractor: T.H. Carroll. Tower and spire erected 1864-5 (Contractor: John Butler).
Refs: Drawing(s) for new church, signed and dated Sep 1860, in RCB Library, portfolio 13; drawing exhibited at Dublin International Exhibition of Art & Manufactures, 1865 (no.163); IAA, PKS B02/16, A03 (Apr,Sep 1860, Apr,Sep,Oct 1861, pp.37v,38v, 89v,90v), L1 (pp.40,41,43-46,66,503,&c.);   B 16, 7 Aug 1858, 539;19, 3 Aug,14 Sep 1861, 533,636;  DB 3, 15 May 1861, 519; 5, 1 Aug 1863, 133; 6, 1 Aug 1864, 154; 7, 1 Jun 1865, 143;  Irish Times, 7 Sep 1861;  Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 2, no. 27 (15 Sep 1861), 296;   B.H. Blacker,Sketches of Irish Churches (Dublin, 1871-73), ?;  exterior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 287 (which states that spire was erected in 1870). 

Building: CO. WICKLOW, KILRUDDERY
Date: 1861-62
Nature: Alts. including Dutch gable and oriel window on S front. For 11th Earl of Meath.
Refs: Detail drawing of window, 11 Nov 1861, in collection of Earl of Meath, Kilruddery (photograph in IAA, Reading Room box files).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CLYDE ROAD, CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW (CI)
Date: 1863
Nature: Practice among 5 invited to submit portfolio of work prior to choosing architect for church. T.H. Wyatt chosen.
Refs: B 21, 5 Sep 1863, 644

Building: CO. CAVAN, KILMORE, BISHOP'S PALACE
Date: ?
Nature: Gothic archway and lodge 'attributable to William Slater'.
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 396.