Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of London, for whom see Oxford DNB,Directory of British Architects 1834-1914 (RIBA 2001), 1078-9, and the Wyatt family tree in Derek Linstrum, Catalogue of the Drawings Collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects: the Wyatt family (1974). Thomas Henry Wyatt, one of the prolific dynasty of architects who were descended from John Wyatt (1675-1742) of Weeford, Staffordshire, was born at Loughlynn House, Co. Roscommon, where his father Matthew Wyatt (1773-1831), a barrister, was then living. According to the account written by his grandson in the Architectural Publication Society's Dictionary of Architecture, the family moved to England in 1818 when Thomas Henry would only have been about eleven. Thomas Henry's younger brother and pupil, MATTHEW DIGBY WYATT MATTHEW DIGBY WYATT , was born in England.

In Ireland Thomas Henry Wyatt designed St Bartholomew's church, Dublin, the Church of Ireland church at Abbeyleix, Co. Laois, and enlarged and altered the Church of Ireland church at Gowran, co. Kilkenny. He also reported on the completion of the restoration of St Canice's Cathedral, Kilkenny.(1) He worked on several country houses: Abbey Leix, Co. Laois, Ramsfort, Co. Wexford, Lissadell, Co. Sligo, and Palmerstown House, Co. Kildare.

See WORKS, for Irish work only.



References



(1) IB 18, 1 Apr 1876, 97.


7 work entries listed in chronological order for WYATT, THOMAS HENRY #


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. LAOIS, ABBEY LEIX
Date: 1860ca-1875ca
Nature: Works at same, including balustrade round roof, refacing of exterior walls in Portland cement, enrichment of window architraves, forecourt on entrance front, formal terraced flower garden. For Thomas, 3rd Viscount de Vesci. (Lady de Vesci was a sister of Sidney Herbert, MP.) Contractor: Cockburn. Clerk of Works: Pratt.
Refs: Letters from THW to 3rd Viscount de Vesci, in NLI, MS, 39,038/1-3, and sketches of house? in NLI AD 3586 (see A.P.W. Malcomson, The De Vesci Papers (Irish Manuscripts Commission, 2006), 79-80,165; DB 1, 1 Aug 1859, 103 (architect wrongly named Digby Wyatt); Building Trades Directory (1868), 144; John Cornforth, 'Abbey Leix, Co. Leix, Ireland', Country Life 190, 26 Sep 1991, 90(illus.),91(illus.),93

Building: CO. LAOIS, ABBEYLEIX, CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL & ALL ANGELS (CI)
Date: 1863-1865
Nature: Rebuilding, chiefly at expense of Lord de Vesci. Tower and spire of previous church retained. Consecrated 2 May 1865 by Bishop of Ossory. Builder: James Scanlan. Cost: £3,500.
Refs: DB 5, 1 Apr 1863, 63; 6, 15 Nov 1864, 236; 7, 15 May,15 Oct 1865, 131,244(illus.); Jubilee Number, 1909, 68(illus.);  exterior illus. in Clergy of Cashel and Emly; Clergy of Leighlin (Ulster Historical Foundation, 2012), 184; exterior and interior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 184.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CLYDE ROAD, CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW (CI)
Date: 1864-67
Nature: New church to accommodate 550 adults.  Design by THW selected from among 5 practices invited to submit portfolio of work prior to choosing architect for church. FS laid by Viscount De Vesci, Ascension Day, 25 May 1865; consecrated by Archbp. of Dublin, 23 Dec 1867. Builder: James Scanlan, Mountmellick. Cost about £7,000, of which £2,500 provided by Ecclesiastical Commissioners, £1000 by trustees of Pembroke Estate (besides the site), £500 by Beresford Fund and £500 by late Archbishop of Duboin. part by private subscription.. Proposed spire not executed. Font given by THW. Carving throughout by C.W. Harrison.
Refs: Signed drawings, also signed by contractor, 1865, in RCB Library, portfolio 14; IAA, PKS A03 (Nov 1864, p.100Av), L1 (pp.744,751,767,880,891,942 &c.); B 21, 5 Sep 1863, 644; 23, 6 May 1865, 313,314(illus.); DB 7, 1 Jun 1865, 143; IB 10, 1 Jan, 1 Feb 1868, 9,28(illus.); 11, 1 Jul 1869, 152;  Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 7, no. 72, 17 Jun 1865, 141-2;  'Annals of Dublin' in Post Office Dublin Directory (1875), 801;  interior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 295. 

Building: CO. SLIGO, LISSADELL
Date: 1870ca
Nature: Proposed alts (unexecuted) including creation of new dining room by filling in recess where service access meets basement. For (Sir) Henry William Gore-Booth.
Refs: 4 signed, undated drawings in PRONI, Lissadell Papers, D/4131/G/2 and MIC590/1 (see PRONI e-catalogue)

Building: CO. KILKENNY, GOWRAN, CHURCH OF ST MARY (CI)
Date: 1871
Nature: Alts., including addition of chancel of chancel, new windows, buttresses between nave windows, doorway in N wall of tower &c. Contractors: Hayes, Bagenalstown.
Refs: Signed, undated drawing(s) in RCB Library, portfolio 24; IB 13., 1 Apr 1871, 93; 14, 1 Jan 1872, 13; St Mary's Church: Visitors' Guide, leaflet by Duchas The Heritage Service

Building: CO. KILDARE, PALMERSTOWN HOUSE (NAAS)
Date: 1874-1879
Nature: 'Queen Anne' style house, for Mayo Trust (in memory of Earl of Mayo who was assassinated in Andaman Islands, 1872). Builder: Henry Sharpe. Plastering work by James Hogan & Sons (and A. Moyna?).bEstimated cost: £21,277.
Refs: IAA, PKS B06/45, B06a/01, B08/22, B09/17, A06 (Jul 1874); Mark Bence-Jones, Burke’s Guide to Country Houses. Volume I, Ireland. (London, 1978),230(illus.)

Building: CO. WEXFORD, RAMSFORT (GOREY)
Date: ?
Nature: Works at same, ante 1868. For Stephen Ram.
Refs: Building Trades Directory (1868), 144