Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Belfast. Henry Seaver, one of the six sons of the Very Rev. Charles Seaver, DD, Dean of Connor and his wife Fanny Ann (née Shields),(1) was born in Belfast in 1860.(2) He was educated in Belfast, first attending school at Methodist College and then studying engineering at Queen's College, from which he graduated with the BE degree in 1880. After serving his articles in the office of YOUNG & YOUNG & amp; MACKENZIE MACKENZIE ,(3) he started independent practice in 1885. Among his first recorded commissions were premises for the Belfast Evening Telegraph in Royal Avenue, completed in 1886; in a long account of the building in the Irish Builder, Seaver was described as 'a rising young member of his profession in the town of Belfast'.(4) A number of domestic commissions followed; two of his house designs were reproduced in The Architect in 1888 and 1889.(5) Early recognition was followed by a long and busy career, which included several churches for the Church of Ireland, starting with St John's, Malone Road, where his brother was rector, and St Barnabas, Duncairn Gardens, both designed in 1892. His most imposing building in central Belfast was the Scottish Temperance Building (1904) on the corner of Bedford Street and Donegall Square, where he moved his own office in 1909. It was not until the 1930s that he took a partner, choosing his former pupil and assistant ROBERT HANNA GIBSON.  ROBERT HANNA GIBSON.

Seaver was active in the public life of Belfast and - according to his obituarist ('Aquilo') in the Irish Builder- took 'both a keen and a practical interest in philanthropic and educational movements'. He was appointed a Belfast Harbour Commissioner in 1908 and a member of the Northern Ireland Panel of Referees for the purpose of the Finance (1909-10) Act and of the Panel of Arbitrators for the purpose of the Acquisition of Land (Assessment of Compensation) Act, in 1919.(6) He was a member of the Senate and deputy-chairman of Convocation of Queen's University and a governor of the Belfast Academical Institution; according to Larmour, it was Seaver who proposed the founding of the Ulster Academy of Arts in 1928.(7) During the First World War he acted as honorary architect to the Ulster Joint Committee of British Red Cross Society and Order of St John for whom he designed the convalescent hospital in Galwally Road, Belfast. As a young man he was a member of the Irish national lacrosse team.(8)

According 'Aquilo', Seaver had been 'in virtual retirement' for some time before his death, which took place on 6 May 1941 at home in Belfast.(9) He had married Norah, daughter of Charles William Lepper, of Belfast, and had three daughters and an only son, Charles, who was killed in the First World War. 'Aquilo' writes of his 'absolute rectitude, his kindliness of disposition, his knowledge of men and of books, his store of genial reminiscences…his humorous and sanely optimistic outlook'. As a young man he had been a keen sportsman and was a member of the Irish international lacrosse team; later he became a founding member of the Malone Golf Club.

As well as Robert Hanna Gibson, his pupils and assistants included ADELS ALEXANDER BLOUNT ADELS ALEXANDER BLOUNT , GEORGE LEO WILLIE BLOUNT  GEORGE LEO WILLIE BLOUNT and THOMAS O'HARA. THOMAS O'HARA.

RIAI: elected member, 2 May 1901, having been proposed by WILLIAM JOHN GILLILAND WILLIAM JOHN GILLILAND , seconded by SAMUEL PATRICK CLOSE  SAMUEL PATRICK CLOSE and GEORGE WILLIAM CROWE GEORGE WILLIAM CROWE ;(10) raised to fellow, 1917;(11) no longer on lists of members after 1929.
RSUA: council member, 1909; president, 1912-1913;(12) as president, joint assessor with HENRY ALBERT CUTLER  HENRY ALBERT CUTLER of Belfast Working Class Housing competition, 1912;(13) hon. treasurer, 1914-1920.(14)

Addresses: Work: 35 Royal Avenue, Belfast, 1886-1887;(15) Royal Avenue, Belfast, 1892;(16) 128 Royal Avenue, Belfast, 1900-1908;(17) Scottish Temperance Building, 16 Donegall Square South, 1909 until death.
Home: Lisroyan, 154 Malone Road, Belfast, 1896;  30 Malone Road, 1911; 154 Malone Road at time of death.

See WORKS; see also works of SEAVER & SEAVER & amp; GIBSON. GIBSON.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the entry on Seaver in R.M. Young, Belfast and the Province of Ulster(1909), 602, from the article 'Irishmen of Note: Mr Henry Seaver, FRIAI, By "Aquilo'" in IB 64, 2 Dec 1922, 809, from the obituary in IB 83, 24 May 1941, 261, and from Paul Larmour, 'The Squire of Malone', Perspective Jan/Feb 1995, 59-60. The first, second and last are illustrated with portrait photographs of Seaver. There is also an obituary in Belfast Newsletter, 8 May 1941.

(1)
R.M. Young, Belfast and the Province of Ulster(1909), 629.
(2)
The Seavers were a family of Danish origins who held property in Co. Armagh in the nineteenth century; see G. Seaver, History of the Seaver Family (1950).
(3)
Drawings by him of Young & Mackenzie's designs for the main doorway of Clifton Street Presbyterian Churchmain and for the main doorway of Kirke's warehouse, in Donegall Square, Belfast, are repr. in IB 23, 15 Apr 1881 and IB 24, 1 Sep 1882, respectively.
(4)
IB 28, 1 Jul 1886, 200.
(5)
These were for a 'villa residence near Belfast' , 17 Aug 1888, and for Glenfarlough, Strandtown, Belfast, 2 Aug 1889.
(6)
IB 70, 3 Mar 1928, 204.
(7)
Op. cit., above.
(8)
Directory of British Architects 1834-1914 (RIBA 2001), II, 573.
(9)
Larmour, op. cit., above, gives the date as 7 May.
(10)
RIAI general meeting minutes, 2 May 1901, 359;  IAA, RIAI office archives (Acc. 93/136), membership forms 1878-1909 (extremely fragile).
(11)
JRIAI (1918), 5.
(12)
IB 54, 20 Jan,9 Nov 1912, 35,644; 55, 1 Feb,11 Oct 1913, 75,663.
(13)
IB 54, 23 Nov 1912, 667.
(14)
List of past office bearers in RSUA Jubilee Year Book 1951-1952, 5.
(15)
IB 28, 20 Jul 1886, 200; 29, 15 Mar 1887, 80.
(16)
IB 30, 1 Oct 1888, 254; 34, 1 Jun 1892, 124.
(17)
IB 42, 1 Apr 1900, 323; RIAI lists of members.


92 work entries listed in chronological order for SEAVER, HENRY


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, ROYAL AVENUE, NO. 124-136 (BELFAST EVENING TELEGRAPH)
Date: 1886
Nature: New office & printing works at junction of Royal Ave & Little Donegall St; 'acknowledge to have the most im;osing exterior of any newspaper office in Ireland'. Style 'a free treatment of the Classic period'. Dumfries red sandstone used for principal elevations, red perforated brick for others. Contractor: H. & J. Martin, Ormeau Works, Belfast.
Refs: Architect 34, 9 Jul 1886, 28; IB 28, 1 Jul 1886, 199-200; Marcus Patton, Central Belfast: an historical gazetteer (UAHS, 1993), 289-90

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, BOTANIC AVENUE, PARSONAGE
Date: 1886-87
Nature: New red brick house with Dumfries stone dressings lately erected for select vestry of Drew Memorial Church. Completed early 1887. Contractor: Fitzpatrick Bros, Great Victoria St.
Refs: IB 28, 15 Jul 1886, 212; 29, 15 Mar 1887, 80

Building: CO. ARMAGH, PORTADOWN, HIGH STREET (& EDWARD STREET), SHOP (JOSEPH FLEMING)
Date: 1888
Nature: New shop nearly completed by Oct 1888. 55' frontage to High St, 95' frontage to Edward St. Local brick, Portland cement dressings, Bangor slates, Wwhite Ashton Hall bricks for chimneys. Contractor: Collen Bros., Portadown.
Refs: IB 30, 1 Oct 1888, 254

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, KNOCK, HOUSE
Date: 1888
Nature: Villa residence for R.W. Francis Graham. Red perforated bricks with Dumfries stone dressings. Internal joinery in yellow and pitch pine.
Refs: Architect40, 17 Aug 1888, 91(illus.?)

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, BALLYNAFEIGH, HOUSES (002)
Date: 1889
Nature: Tenders received for building same.
Refs: IB 31, 1 Jul 1889, 172

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, DONEGALL PLACE (& DONEGALL SQUARE N), SHOPS
Date: 1889
Nature: Being built for Dr Armstrong. Contractor: H. & J. Martin.
Refs: PRONI, W.H. Stephens & Sons papers, D1898/1/5; IB 31, 15 Jul 1889, 191

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, STRANDTOWN, GLENFARLOUGH
Date: 1889
Nature: Large red-brick villa for James Taylor, Esq. Perforated brick walls with Dumfries stone dressings. Contractor: H. & J. Martin, Belfast.
Refs: Architect, 2 Aug 1889, 65(illus.) (?also Architect 39, 25 May 1888, suppl.p.3)

Building: CO. ANTRIM, LISBURN, HOUSE
Date: 1889
Nature: Alts., for Hugh Fraser.
Refs: Architect 41, 15 Mar 1889, 6

Building: CO. ANTRIM, LISBURN, NICHOLSON MEMORIAL SCHOOLS
Date: 1889
Nature: Adds. Tender of A. Sinclair, Lisburn (£580) accepted.
Refs: IB 31, 1 Jul 1889, 172; Architect 41, 21 Jun 1889, suppl. p.3

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, GROSVENOR ROAD, CHURCH OF ST PHILIP OR DREW MEMORIAL CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1889-1890
Nature: Enlargement of mission hall & school.
Refs: Architect 42, 13 Dec 1889, suppl. p.1; IB 32, 1 May 1890, 112

Building: CO. SLIGO, SLIGO, JOHN STREET, CATHEDRAL (FORMERLY CHURCH) OF ST JOHN (CI)
Date: 1890
Nature: Church painted and decorated to designs of HS by Mssrs. Meldrum, Sligo.  HS also designed prayer desk and sedilia presented by Christopher L'Estrange in memory of his parents, executed by A.P. Sharp, Dublin.
Refs: Irish Times, 27 Aug 1890.

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, BLOOMFIELD, HOUSE
Date: 1890ca
Nature: New villa.
Refs: Architect, 17 Jan 1890, suppl. p.1

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, UNIVERSITY STREET, ALL SAINT'S SCHOOL HOUSE & PAROCHIAL HALL
Date: 1890ca
Nature: New.
Refs: Architect, ? ? 1890, ?

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, DUNCAIRN GARDENS, CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS (CI)
Date: 1891-92
Nature: Church for new district formed out of parish of St James. Early English style. To accommodate 550 worshippers, increasing to 779 when south aisle is added. Contract, Oct 1891 (£2,425). Memorial stone laid 7 May 1892 by Lord Mayor of Belfast, Daniel Dixon, JP.. Opened 20 Dec 1892. Contractor: Thomas McMillan, Belfast. Pulpit by Purdy & Millard. (Destroyed in blitz, 1941)
Refs: Architect, 23 Oct 1891, suppl. p.3; B 62, 21 May 1892, 405; 63, 31 Dec 1892, 525; IB 34, 15 May,1 Jun 1892, 117,124; 35, 1 Jan 1893, 11

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, ?, STAR MUSIC HALL
Date: 1892
Nature: New music hall to be built.
Refs: Architect 47, 22 Apr 1892, suppl. p.9

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, MALONE ROAD, NO. 050 (LANSDOWNE)
Date: 1892
Nature: Red brick 3 storey, with minimal half timbering to gable.
Refs: Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 117

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, MALONE ROAD, ST JOHN'S CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1892-96
Nature: New English Decorated Gothic church to seat 600. FS laid 3 Jun 1893. Chancel & transepts consecrated 21(or 22?) Apr 1894. Nave added 1905-6. Scrabo sandstone with Aberfoyle slates. Contractor: W.J. Campbell & Son. (HS's brother Richard was rector of this church.)
Refs: IB 35, 15 Jul 1893, 168; B 65, 8 Jul 1893, 34;  John Frederick MacNeice, The Church of Ireland in Belfast (Belfast, 1931), 41-2;  Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 56 (no. 130, illus.); Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 105; Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013),  218(illus.) date transepts to 1906(N) and 1908(S).
 

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, MALONE ROAD, NO. 154 (LISROYAN)
Date: 1896
Nature: Roughcast, red tiled house, designed for himself.
Refs: Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991),127

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, MALONE ROAD, NO. 148 (ST JOHN'S RECTORY)
Date: 1896
Nature: Plain red-brick house designed for his brother the Rev. Richard Whitchurch Seaver, rector of St John's.
Refs: Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991),127

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, PRINCE'S STREET, BROWNE, CORBETT & CO.
Date: 1896
Nature: Adds. to bonded store, new stores, cooperage & stabling to be erected.
Refs: IB 38, 1 Jul 1896, 144

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, RICHMOND PARK, NO. 002
Date: 1896
Nature: Built as clubhouse for Malone Golf Club. Extended on E side, 1906, by Graeme-Watt and Tulloch.
Refs: Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 152-3

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, DERAMORE PARK, NO. 006 & 8
Date: 1898
Nature: Pair of semi-detached villas attr. to HS by Larmour on basis of similarity to Nos. 1 & 3.
Refs: Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 53

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, MARLBOROUGH PARK SOUTH, NO. 109-115
Date: 1898
Nature: 2 pairs of semi-detached red brick houses.
Refs: Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 133

Building: CO. ARMAGH, HEATH HALL (NEWRY)
Date: 1898ca
Nature: HS employed by his cousin Jonathan C.P.B. Seaver to add entrance tower to Heath Hall the family home to commemorate return from Australia of his father, the ageing Thomas Seaver, who d. 1900. (In ruins by 2013.)
Refs: George Fenn. Seaver,History of the Seaver family (1950), 115(illus. facing p. 114);  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 447.


Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, DERAMORE PARK, NO. 010 & 12
Date: 1899
Nature: Pair of semi-detached villas attr. to HS by Larmour on basis of similarity to Nos. 1 & 3.
Refs: Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 53

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, MYRTLEFIELD PARK, NO. 064 & 66
Date: 1899
Nature: Pair of detached red brick and roughcast villas with timber porches and some Art Nouveau leaded lights.
Refs: Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 141

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, DERAMORE DRIVE, NO. 024
Date: 1899;1911
Nature: Red brick house with canted bays designed for Alexander Thompson 1899 but not built until 1911 by Robert Thompson.
Refs: Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 51

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, DERAMORE PARK, NO. 001 & 3
Date: 1900
Nature: Pair of semi-detached villas for Thomas Shanks. Builder: James Kidd, Leadbetter St.
Refs: IB 42, 1 Feb 1900, 256; Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 51

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, ROYAL AVENUE, NO. 028 (ASSN. FOR EMPLOYMENT OF INDUSTRIOUS BLIND)
Date: 1900
Nature: New shop & stores in Berry St. Tenders invited Mar 1900.
Refs: B 78, 19 Mar 1900, 278; IB 42, 1 Apr 1900, 323

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, BERRY STREET, SHOPS & STORES
Date: 1900
Nature: Tenders invited for erecting same.
Refs: B 78, 17 Mar 1900, 278

Building: CO. DOWN, BANGOR, RANFURLY AVENUE, NO. 043 (LAUREL LODGE)
Date: 1900-1901
Nature: New two-storey classical red brick house with pinkish sandstone dressings for Charles Lepper. (Later Garth House School)
Refs: Marcus Patton, Bangor: an historical gazetteer (UAHS, 1999), 182

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, BLOOMFIELD, ST DONARD'S PARISH SCHOOL
Date: 1901
Nature: New?
Refs: IB 43, 27 Mar 1901, 675

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, DERAMORE PARK, NO. 021 & 23
Date: 1901
Nature: Pair of semi-detached villas for Thomas Shanks.
Refs: Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 52

Building: CO. DOWN, NEWCASTLE, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI)
Date: 1902
Nature: Addition of transept.
Refs: IB 44, ? ? 1902, 1348; Clergy of Down & Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996), 223

Building: CO. DOWN, DRUMBO, HOUSE
Date: 1902
Nature: New villa. For Mr A. McIlroy. Tenders invited Apr 1902.
Refs: B 88, 26 Apr 1902, 434; IB 44, 8 May 1902, 1240

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, DERAMORE PARK SOUTH, NO. 016
Date: 1902
Nature: Plain red brick villa. For Thomas Shanks.
Refs: Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 54

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, DERAMORE PARK, NO. 018
Date: 1902
Nature: Red brick villa with canted bays & hipped dormers. For Thomas Shanks.
Refs: Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 53

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, GREAT VICTORIA STREET, NO. 027-45 (LINCOLN BUILDINGS)
Date: 1902-03
Nature: New 6-storey red brick warehouse.
Refs: IB 44, 22 May,5 Jun 1902, 1254,1274; B 86, 30 Jan 1904, 115; Marcus Patton, Central Belfast: an historical gazetteer (UAHS, 1993), 166

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, FRANKLIN STREET, FRANKLIN HOUSE (S. SINCLAIR & CO.)
Date: 1902-3;1907;191
Nature: New warehouse. Tenders being sought? 1902-3. Extensions, 1907, 1910.(McLaughlin & Harvey contractor for latter: was this in Howard St?).
Refs: IB 44, 4,18 Dec 1902, 1510,1524; 45, 1 Jan 1903, 1540; 49, 20 Apr 1907, 288; 52, 30 Apr 1910, 281; Marcus Patton, Central Belfast: an historical gazetteer (UAHS, 1993), 44

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, DERAMORE PARK SOUTH, NO. 001
Date: 1904
Nature: Red brick villa with half-timbered gable. For Thomas Shanks.
Refs: Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 53

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, DERAMORE PARK SOUTH, NO. 006
Date: 1904
Nature: Roughcast with half-timbered gables. For J.A. McAuley.
Refs: Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 54

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, DONEGALL SQUARE SOUTH, NO. 015-16 (SCOTTISH TEMPERANCE BUILDINGS)
Date: 1904
Nature: Large Scottish Baronial block of shops and offices. Tenders invited May 1904. Tender of James Henry & Sons, Crumlin Rd, contractors accepted. To cost about £40,000.
Refs: IB 46, 21 May,4 Jun,8 Oct 1904, 302,350,648,846(illus. in supplement); Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 73 (no. 164, illus.); Marcus Patton, Central Belfast: an historical gazetteer (UAHS, 1993), 120,135(illus.)

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, MALONE ROAD, NO. 138
Date: 1904
Nature: Asymmetrical red brick house.
Refs: Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 124

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, MALONE ROAD, NO. 150 (JENNYMOUNT)
Date: 1904
Nature: Red brick and roughcast 2-storey villa, for Mrs Thompson.
Refs: Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991),127

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, OLDPARK ROAD, SCHOOL
Date: 1904
Nature: New school for St Silas's church. Foundations just laid, May 1904.
Refs: B 86, 28 May 1904, ?

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, VICTORIA STREET, JAMES BLACK & CO.
Date: 1904a
Nature: New block of warehouses, shops & offices just completed for James Black & Co. Building contractor: James Henry & Son, Crumlin Rd.
Refs: IB 46, 16 Jan 1904, 40

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, MYRTLEFIELD PARK, NO. 019 (INGLEDENE)
Date: 1906
Nature: Red brick & roughcast with red tiled roof and tile-hung gables.
Refs: Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 139

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, MYRTLEFIELD PARK, NO. 077
Date: 1906
Nature: Edwardian villa with Art Nouveau leaded lights and a good open timber porch.
Refs: Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 140

Building: CO. DOWN, CULTRA, THE HILL
Date: 1907
Nature: New house, for F.J. Heyn, Esq. Tender of H. & J. Martin (£3,000) accepted.
Refs: IB 49, 19 Oct,2 Nov 1907, 729,754; C.E.B. Brett, Buildings of North County Down (UAHS, 2002), 130

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, ROYAL AVENUE, NO. 124-136 (BELFAST EVENING TELEGRAPH)
Date: 1907
Nature: New 5 storey ferro-concrete extension on Hennebique system on site formerly occupied by J. & R. O'Kane in Library St by McLaughlin & Harvey for W. & G. Baird. Under construction in Dec 1907.
Refs: IB 49, 4 May,15 Jun, 28 Dec 1907, 324,425,893

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, DERAMORE PARK, NO. 027
Date: 1908
Nature: Symmetrical 2-storey red brick villa with window shutters.
Refs: Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 52

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, ROYAL AVENUE, NO. 028 (ASSN. FOR EMPLOYMENT OF INDUSTRIOUS BLIND)
Date: 1908-09
Nature: Almost total reconstruction of workshops destroyed by fire in 1908. Contractor: H. & J. Martin. Facade in 'Marmo' by Leeds Fireclay Co. (Demolished c.1985 for Castlecourt development.)
Refs: IB 50, 27 Jun,25 Jul 1908, 405,465; B 96, 17 Apr 1909, 474-5; Marcus Patton, Central Belfast: an historical Gazetteer (UAHS, 1993), 287

Building: CO. DOWN, ANNALONG, LINTON MEMORIAL HALL
Date: 1909
Nature: New. Tenders invited May 1909.
Refs: B 96, 22 May 1909, 628; IB 51, 29 May 1909, 341

Building: CO. SLIGO, LONGFORD HOUSE
Date: 1909a
Nature: Rebuilding, for Sir Malby Crofton, 3rd Bt..
Refs: R.M. Young, Belfast and the Province of Ulster(1909), 602; IB 64, 2 Dec 1922, 809

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, CASTLE STREET, SHOPS & WAREHOUSES
Date: 1910
Nature: Plans for new shops & warehouses for Mr Clarke.
Refs: IB 52, 15 Oct,12 Nov 1910, 643,703

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, DOWNSHIRE PLACE, WAREHOUSE (JOHN THOMPSON & SONS)
Date: 1910
Nature: Rebuilding after fire. Tender of William Dowling, Belfast, for £1,100 accepted.
Refs: IB 52, 19 Mar,11 Jun 1910, 181,382

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BALLYDIVITY HOUSE
Date: 1911
Nature: Proposed alts for Stewart Moore family. Not executed.
Refs: C.E.B. Brett, Buildings of Co. Antrim (1996), 146

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, ROYAL AVENUE, NO. 124-136 (BELFAST EVENING TELEGRAPH)
Date: 1911
Nature: Tender of James Hogg & Sons, Ormeau Rd, accepted for new premises (i.e. extension) in Library & Union Sts.
Refs: IB 53, 19 Aug 1911, 562

Building: CO. DOWN, DUNDRUM, CHURCH OF ST DONARD (CI, DOWNSHIRE MEMORIAL)
Date: 1913
Nature: Repairs.
Refs: IB 55, 24 May 1913, 351

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, GALWALLY PARK, HILDON CONVALESCENT HOME
Date: 1917
Nature: To be opened shortly for Ulster Joint Committee of British Red Cross Society and Order of St John. Substantially built with wooden extension. HS hon. architect. Contractor: H. & J. Martin.
Refs: IB 59, 14 Apr 1917, 183

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, ?, NORTHERN BANK
Date: 1922
Nature: Contractor: Henry Laverty & Sons.
Refs: IB 64, 18 Nov 1922, 792

Building: CO. TYRONE, STRABANE, NORTHERN BANK
Date: 1922-23
Nature: New premises just completed. Contractor: Henry Laverty & Son, Belfast.
Refs: IB 65, 2 Jun 1923, 426; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 496; n E.D. Hill, Northern Bank, 51

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, MARLBOROUGH PARK SOUTH, VICTORIA COLLEGE SCHOOL
Date: 1922-23;1928
Nature: Remodelling of Drumglass House to serve as hostel for 100 students and laying out of grounds for recreational purposes, 1922, and? dormitory at rear of Drumglass House, 1923; sun parlour, 1928.
Refs: IB 64, 2 Dec 1922, 809; Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 130

Building: CO. DOWN, NEWTOWNARDS, NORTHERN BANK
Date: 1922a
Nature: New?
Refs: IB 64, 2 Dec 1922, 809

Building: CO. ARMAGH, PORTADOWN, NORTHERN BANK
Date: 1922a
Nature: New bank. (Replaced in 1980s.)
Refs: IB 64, 2 Dec 1922, 809;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 509.


Building: CO. TYRONE, OMAGH, MARKET STREET, NORTHERN BANK
Date: 1922a
Nature: New?
Refs: IB 64, 2 Dec 1922, 809

Building: CO. TYRONE, DUNGANNON, NORTHLAND PLACE, NORTHLAND HOUSE
Date: 1922a
Nature: HS said to have 'waved his Prospero's wand' over Northland House.
Refs: IB 64, 2 Dec 1922, 809

Building: CO. ARMAGH, GOSFORD CASTLE (MARKETHILL)
Date: 1922a
Nature: HS said to have 'waved his Prospero's wand' over Gosford Castle.
Refs: IB 64, 2 Dec 1922, 809

Building: CO. ARMAGH, TANDRAGEE CASTLE
Date: 1922a
Nature: HS said to have 'waved his Prospero's wand' over Tandragee Castle.
Refs: Reports on castle by HS, 1912-14, in PRONI, D2223/15/37 (see PRONI e-catalogue); IB 64, 2 Dec 1922, 809

Building: CO. DUBLIN, SKERRIES, STRAND STREET GREAT, NORTHERN BANK
Date: 1922a
Nature: New?
Refs: IB 64, 2 Dec 1922, 809

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, BELFAST CASTLE
Date: 1922a
Nature: HS said to have 'waved his Prospero's wand' over Belfast Castle.
Refs: IB 64, 2 Dec 1922, 809

Building: CO. ANTRIM, KNOCKAGH HILL (GREENISLAND), CO. ANTRIM WAR MEMORIAL
Date: 1922p
Nature: Proposed 110' high basalt obelisk with names of all Co. Antrim men who fell in First World War 'which is to rise on Knockagh Hill'. (Built in much reduced form)
Refs: IB 64, 21 Oct,2 Dec 1922, 722,809; C.E.B. Brett, Buildings of Co. Antrim (1996), 297(illus.)

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, YORK ROAD (& PITTSBURGH STREET), ST PAUL'S HALL
Date: 1923
Nature: Plans approved for memorial hall for vestry of St Paul's Church.
Refs: IB 65, 11 Aug 1923, 620

Building: CO. ANTRIM, TEMPLEPATRICK, ORANGE HALL, WAR MEMORIAL
Date: 1923
Nature: Tenders invited for building war memorial at Orange Hall.
Refs: IB 65, 19 May 1923, 385

Building: CO. ANTRIM, LISBURN, MARKET STREET (& RAILWAY STREET), NORTHERN BANK
Date: 1923-24
Nature: Rebuilding. Contractor: Dowling Ltd., Cromwell Rd, Belfast.
Refs: IB 65, 10 Mar 1923, 177; 66, 25 Jun 1924, 578; E.D. Hill, Northern Bank, 53

Building: CO. DOWN, KILLYLEAGH, MASONIC HALL
Date: 1924
Nature: New. Tenders invited.
Refs: IB 66, 17 May 1924, 446

Building: CO. ANTRIM, PORTRUSH, KELLY MEMORIAL SCHOOLS
Date: 1924
Nature: Rebuilding.
Refs: IB 66, 23 Feb 1924, 150

Building: CO. DOWN, NEWCASTLE, TULLYBRANNIGAN CEMETERY, CHAPEL OF ST COLMAN (CI)
Date: 1925-27
Nature: Romanesque mortuary chapel. Tenders invited Sep-Oct 1925. Consecrated 28 Jul 1927.
Refs: IB 67, 5 Sep,17 Oct 1925, 734,861;  Fred Rankin, ed., Clergy of Down and Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996),  224(illus.).

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, KENT STREET, STORES (W. & G. BAIRD)
Date: 1926
Nature: Plans for new stores approved by City Surveyor.
Refs: IB 68, 6 Feb 1926, 98

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, ROYAL AVENUE, NO. 124-136 (BELFAST EVENING TELEGRAPH)
Date: 1926
Nature: Addition in Little Donegall St, for W. & G. Baird. Plans approved by City Surveyor.
Refs: IB 68, 9 Jan 1926, 21

Building: CO. ARMAGH, PORTADOWN, CHURCH OF ST MARK (CI)
Date: 1928-1930
Nature: War memorial tower replacing smaller original tower. FS laid in or before Nov 1928. To cost £10,000. Contractor: Collen Bros, Portadown.
Refs: IB 70, 3 Mar,10 Nov 1928, 195,967; 72, 8 Nov 1930, 994; C.E.B. Brett, D., Dunleath, R. Oram & A.J. Rowan. Historic Buildings…in the designated area of the Craigavon Development Commission (UAHS, 1970), 3;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 504.

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, HOLYWOOD ROAD (DUNDELA), ST MARK'S CHURCH HALL
Date: 1929
Nature: New hall. Presented by widow and sons of F.L. Heyn.
Refs: John Frederick MacNeice, The church of Ireland in Belfast (Belfast, 1931),37.

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, KENILWORTH PLACE, CHURCH OF ST MARTIN (CI)
Date: 1932-33
Nature: Mission church in parish of Ballymacarrett, built with financial assistance from Southern Church Mission. Consecrated 8 Apr 1933.
Refs: IB 74, 19 Nov 1932, 1052; Clergy of Down & Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996), 85(illus.)

Building: CO. DOWN, SAUL, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1933
Nature: New church to commemorate St Patrick's landing in Ireland at Saul. FS laid Ascension Day 1933. Dedicated All Saints' Day 1933. Contractor: Cairns Bros.
Refs: IB 75, 8 Apr,6 May 1933, 292,370; watercolour view by R.H. Gibson exh. RHA 1946,  Fred Rankin, ed., Clergy of Down and Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996)155(illus.); Simon Walker, Historic Ulster Churches (Institute of Irish Studies, 2000), 139(illus.); R. Oram, Expressions of Faith: Ulster's Church Heritage (2001), 91(illus.)

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, MARLBOROUGH PARK SOUTH, VICTORIA COLLEGE SCHOOL
Date: 1933
Nature: Recreation and assembly hall. 90 x 40 ft. Roughcast. Contractor: William Dowling, Cromwell Rd, Belfast.
Refs: IB 75, 15,29 Jul,12 Aug 1933, 610,632,699; Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 130

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, ROSEMARY STREET, CLIFTON, SON & CO.
Date: 1933
Nature: Plans approved for alts.
Refs: IB 75, 26 Aug 1933, 734

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, WOODVALE ROAD, CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW (CI)
Date: 1933
Nature: North vestry.
Refs: IB 75, 1 Jul 1933, 566; Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 41 (no. 84)

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, UNIVERSITY ROAD (& LOWER CRESC.), VICTORIA COLLEGE GYMNASIUM
Date: 1933
Nature: Plans appr. for addition to same.
Refs: IB 75, 9 Sep 1933, 781

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1934a
Nature: Extensive renovations to roof, which was put on about 100 years earlier during Cottingham restoration.
Refs: IB 76, 24 Mar 1934, 245

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, ORBY STREET, ORANGEFIELD PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH HALL
Date: 1936
Nature: -
Refs: IB 78, 27 Jun 1936, 572

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, MALONE ROAD, ST JOHN'S CHURCH HALL
Date: 1938
Nature: Rustic brick with reconstructed stone dressings, facing Osborne Pk.
Refs: IB 80, 11 Jun 1938, 497; Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 109

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, LINEN HALL STREET, NO. 012-22
Date: ?
Nature: 'rather Gothic brick linen warehouse...for Moore & Weinberg' replaced by DHSS Offices 1984-85.
Refs: Marcus Patton, Central Belfast: an historical gazetteer (UAHS, 1993), 214,231(illus.) (Patton gives impossibly early date of c. 1875)