Selected: SCOTT, MICHAEL JOHN


Born: 1905
Died: 1989


Architect, of Dublin. Michael Scott was born in Drogheda, Co. Louth, on 14 June 1905, the second child of William Scott, a schools inspector from Co. Kerry, and his wife Hilda (née Daly). He went to school at Belvedere College before becoming a pupil in the office of JONES & JONES & amp; KELLY  KELLY where he remained from 1923 until 1926. In the evenings after work, he also attended the Metropolitan School of Art and the Abbey School of Acting, taking minor parts in Abbey productions. On completing his pupilage he became an assistant to CHARLES JOHN DUNLOP  CHARLES JOHN DUNLOP and then had a brief spell as an assistant architect in the Office of Public Works. His connection with the Abbey continued, and in 1928 he toured the USA with the company's production of Sean O'Casey's The Plough and the Stars. Before he left he had started to practise from home as an architect and had been invited to design an out-patients' department for St Ultan's Hospital in Dublin. While he was in America he took the opportunity of visiting as many hospitals as possible and on his return to Ireland in 1929 set about the St Ultan's commission. This did not prevent him from accepting an invitation to appear in George Shiels's The New Gossoon at the Court Theatre in London under the name of 'Wolfe Curran' the following year,(1) leaving his elderly assistant to keep the fledgling practice going. His double life came to an abrupt end when it was brought to light by the Daily Express.

In 1931 Scott formed a partnership with NORMAN DOUGLAS GOOD  NORMAN DOUGLAS GOOD as SCOTT & SCOTT & amp; GOOD. Substantial commissions followed; the resulting buildings were, according to Rothery, mainly in the International Style but were also influenced by Dutch modernism.(2) To what extent Good, the better-qualified of the two young men, contributed to the firm's early success is not clear; he is not mentioned at all in Scott's published conversations with Dorothy Walker. Rothery points out that Scott, from early in his career, 'employed young and talented assistants who were dedicated to the modern movement, and this policy, which lasted well into the post-war years, ensured that the buildings of the practice attracted attention and, in later years, a lot of publicity and awards'.(3) Two such assistants were JAMES BRENNAN  JAMES BRENNAN and DERMOT O'TOOLE  DERMOT O'TOOLE who both worked in Scott & Good's office. The partnership with Good was dissolved in 1936. The following year - apparently almost by default - Scott was appointed architect for the Irish Pavilion at the New York World's Fair of 1939, for which he designed a striking glass-walled International Style building on a shamrock-shaped plan.(4)

After the virtual cessation of building activity during the Second World War, Scott's practice resumed its flourishing course with the commission in 1945 to design the Store Street Bus Terminal and Department of Social Welfare offices, his most famous Dublin building. The commission led him to invite the Danish engineers Ove Arup and Jorgen Varming to open offices in Dublin in the building he now occupied at 19 Merrion Square; thus, as Sean Mulcahy points out, he established 'the first integrated architectural and engineering design studio in Ireland, sharing facilities and projects but not ownership'.(5) Among the many architects who worked at 19 Merrion Square were Robin Walker, who became an assistant in 1946, and Ronald Tallon, who arrived in 1956. Both men were made partners in 1958,(6) upon which the practice was renamed Michael Scott & Associates and later Michael Scott & Partners. Other architects to work in the office over the years included Wilfred Cantwell, Peter Doyle, Kevin Fox, Patrick Hamilton, Patrick Haughey, Norman Peachey, Kevin Roche and Patrick Scott.

Michael Scott himself retired in 1975 but continued to play an active part in the world of the arts in Ireland. He had chaired the ROSC exhibitions of 1967 and 1971 and remained a member of the committee for the 1977 and 1980 exhibitions. He died on 24 January 1989 and was buried beside his father at Tahilla, Co. Kerry, two days later. By his wife Patricia Nixon (d. 1976), whom he had married in 1932, he had four sons and a daughter. In 1972 the youngest son, Niall (b. 1940), entered the practice, which was re-named Scott Tallon Walker the same year.

Scott's suave good looks, his joie de vivre and his 'sociable, highly entertaining personality' undoubtedly contributed to his professional success. Sean Mulcahy saw him as being above all an 'impresario of projects', with the ability 'to conjure up and communicate a vision, to enthuse and reassure his client and his team, to set high standards and to see they were attained'.(7) Although, as Rothery points out, he was 'just one of a small band of young Irish architects who adopted the International Style during the 1930s', he came to be perceived as the leading pioneer and exponent of modern architecture in Ireland. Internationally he was by far the best-known Irish architect of the post-Second World War era, while at home he became a fixture of the artistic establishment: a member of the Arts Council of Ireland, of the Cultural Relations Committee, and of the Stamp Advisory Committee. Honours included doctorates from the Royal College of Art, London (1969), Trinity College, Dublin (1970) and Queen's University, Belfast (1977), fellowship of the American Institute of Architects (1972) and the RIBA's Royal Gold Medal (1975).

The Irish Architectural Archive holds a large amount of Scott material - both drawings and personal papers - in the Scott Tallon Walker Collection, Acc. 79/10, and in the Michael Scott collections., Accs. 89/44 and 2000/98.

AAI:(8) member, 1924; president 1937-1938.
RIAI: registered probationer, 1926; elected member, 1936;(9) fellow, 1948.(10)
RHA: hon. member.
RSUA: hon. fellow, 1968.

Addresses: Work:(11) O'Connell Street, 1929c;(12) 36 South Frederick Street, 1931-1937; 32 South Frederick Street, 1937->=1942; 30, Clare Street, 1944; 19 Merrion Square, 1945 until death.
Home: 3 Leinster Road West, Rathmines, 1913c->=1932; Geragh, Sandycove Point, Co. Dublin, 1938(13) until death.

See WORKS (for works up until the creation of Michael Scott & Associates, 1959) and BIBLIOGRAPHY  BIBLIOGRAPHY (until 1940 only; for a complete bibliography see O'Regan & Dearey, op. cit., 235-237)

References
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), which includes a brief biograpy of Scott by Walker on pp. 229-231, Sean Rothery, Ireland and the New Architecture (1990), and the entry on Scott in Who's Who…in Ireland (1973), 321. An obituary by Peter Doyle is in RIAI Year Book (1990), 66-68; another by Sean Mulcahy in Engineers' Journal (1989), 6. A bust(?) of Scot tby Laurence Campbell was exhibited at the RHA in 1941 (no. 400).

(1) Originally called The Girl on the Pillion, the play opened at the Abbey in 1930 (information from Abbey Theatre Archives).
(2) Rothery, op. cit., 202.
(3) Rothery, op. cit., 228.
(4) Rothery, op. cit., 224-8.
(5) Engineers' Journal (March 1989), 6.
(6) Date from the entries on Tallon and Walker in Who's Who…in Ireland, 337,347; in O'Regan & Dearey, p. 166, the date is given as 1966.
(7) See note 5, above.
(8) From lists of members and office holders in AAI Green Books.
(9) RIAI lists of members.
(10) RIAI Year Book (1949), Report of Council 1948, 1.
(11) From Thom's directories, AAI and RIAI membership lists unless otherwise stated.
(12) O'Regan & Dearey, op. cit., 68.
(13) Scott said to Dorothy Walker that he had moved in in 1939; however an advertisement in IB 80, 1 Oct 1938, 835, shows it with curtains at the windows.

68 work entries listed in chronological order for SCOTT, MICHAEL JOHN


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ABBEY STREET LOWER, NO. 027 1/2 (PEACOCK THEATRE)
Date: 1926p
Nature: Designs for same.
Refs: John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 53

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CHARLEMONT STREET, ST ULTAN'S HOSPITAL (TEACH ULTAN)
Date: 1928-29
Nature: New out patients' department.
Refs: Drawings in IAA, 89/44.32,35,36a; John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 31,49,58,229,233

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CAVENDISH ROW, GATE THEATRE
Date: 1930
Nature: Conversion of Rotunda Supper Room into theatre.
Refs: John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 68,229,233

Building: CO. DUBLIN, GLENAGEARY, SILCHESTER ROAD, RATHBARRY
Date: 1930ca
Nature: New house for Desmond Egan.
Refs: John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 68

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, STRAND ROAD (SUTTON), CEUTA
Date: 1933
Nature: New house in International Modern style.
Refs: Paul Larmour, Free State Architecture:  Modern Movement architecture in Ireland, 1922-1949 (Kinsale: Gandon Editions, 2009), 31(illus.),32. 

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HOWTH ROAD, HOUSE
Date: 1933-34
Nature: New.
Refs: John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 233

Building: CO. DUBLIN, KILLINEY, GLENALUA ROAD, CARRIGDOWN
Date: 1936
Nature: New house in International Modern style.
Refs: Paul Larmour, Free State Architecture:  Modern Movement architecture in Ireland, 1922-1949 (Kinsale: Gandon Editions, 2009), 45.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, KILLINEY, GLENALUA ROAD, REENAVANNA
Date: 1936-36
Nature: New house in International Modern style.
Refs: Paul Larmour, Free State Architecture:  Modern Movement architecture in Ireland, 1922-1949 (Kinsale: Gandon Editions, 2009), 45,48(illus.).

Building: CO. WEXFORD, ?, HOUSE
Date: 1937
Nature: Design for 'A house in Co. Wexford' exh. RHA 1937.
Refs: RHA 1937, no. 242

Building: CO. CARLOW, CARLOW, TULLOW STREET, TYNAN'S HOTEL
Date: 1937
Nature: Proposed adds. & alts.
Refs: IAA, PKS 0486 (includes drawings)

Building: CO. CARLOW, CARLOW, CHARLOTTE STREET, RITZ CINEMA
Date: 1937-38
Nature: New.
Refs: Correspondence & drawings, Jan-Jul 1937 in IAA, PKS 0483; biography of Scott in Irish Times, 21 Jun 1939; John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 233

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, INCHICORE, KILLEEN PAPER MILLS
Date: 1937-38
Nature: Proposed extensions.
Refs: Drawings in IAA, Acc. 79/10.3/1-30; design for 'Paper Factory' exh. RHA 1938, no. 290

Building: CO. DUBLIN, SANDYCOVE, SANDYCOVE POINT, GERAGH
Date: 1937-38
Nature: International Modern style house for himself.  (Modification of design by Ernest Wamsley Lewis.)
Refs: IB 80, 1 Oct 1938, 835(illus.); Architectural Design, Jul 1947, 183(illus.); Sean Rothery, Ireland and the New Architecture 1900-1940 (1991), 201(illus.),202; John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 87-93(illus.),233;  Paul Larmour, Free State Architecture:  Modern Movement architecture in Ireland, 1922-1949 (Kinsale: Gandon Editions, 2009), 45,49,50-51(illus.).

Building: UNITED STATES, NEW YORK, WORLD'S FAIR, IRISH PAVILION
Date: 1937-39
Nature: Consultant Architect: Irvin L. Scott. Interior architect: L.H. Bucknell.
Refs: Drawings, 1937-39, in IAA, Acc. 79/10.1/-97; RHA, 1939, no. 276; IB 81, 15 Apr 1939, 302(illus.); Nicholas Sheaff, 'The Shamrock Building. Michael Scott's palns and drawings for the Irish Pavilion at the New York World's Fair in 1939', Irish Arts Review 1, no. 1, Spring 1984, 26-29(illus.); Sean Rothery, Ireland and the New Architecture 1900-1940 (1991), 225-228(illus.);  Paul Larmour, Free State Architecture:  Modern Movement architecture in Ireland, 1922-1949 (Kinsale: Gandon Editions, 2009), 62-66(illus.).


Building: CO. OFFALY, EDENDERRY, HOSPITAL
Date: 1937a
Nature: Design exh. RHA.
Refs: RHA 1937, no. 270.

Building: CO. OFFALY, TULLAMORE, HOUSE
Date: 1938
Nature: New house, for Desmond Williams.
Refs: John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 233 (is this the thatched house illus. in RIAI Year Book1948, 36

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, O'CONNELL STREET UPPER, NO. 019 (SAVOY CINEMA)
Date: 1938
Nature: MS surveys damage after fire of 1938.
Refs: IAA, PKS 0500 (includes drawings)

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, ATHLONE, RITZ CINEMA
Date: 1938-39
Nature: New cinema in the International Modern style, with superstructure built on piers. Consulting engineer: Thomas Garland. General Contractors: R.J. Campbell & Co., Ringsend, Dublin. Carved wooden figures on either side of proscenium by Lawrence Campbell, RHA.
Refs: Bill of quantities, 22 Feb 1939, in IAA, PKS 0299; IB 82, 17 Feb 1940, 99(illus.); Sean Rothery, Ireland and the New Architecture 1900-1940 (1991), 190; John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 83-86(illus.),233;  Paul Larmour, Free State Architecture:  Modern Movement architecture in Ireland, 1922-1949 (Kinsale: Gandon Editions, 2009), 61(illus., from IB Feb 1940).


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, AILESBURY ROAD, NO. 058
Date: 1938-39
Nature: Proposed new house for Philip Newman.
Refs: Designs, 1938-39, in IAA, Acc. 79/10.7/1-16

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, CLONMEL, RITZ CINEMA
Date: 1939-1940
Nature: New cinema in International Modern style. Rapidly approaching completion in Mar 1940. General Contractors: Roche, Morrissey & Kennedy, Clonmel. Carved wooden figures on either side of proscenium arch by Lawrence Campbell, RHA.
Refs: IB 82, 16 Mar 1940, 163; John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 83-85(illus.),233;  Paul Larmour, Free State Architecture:  Modern Movement architecture in Ireland, 1922-1949 (Kinsale: Gandon Editions, 2009), 61(illus., from IB, Mar 1940).


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CHARLEMONT STREET, FLATS (FRENCH MULLEN HOUSE)
Date: 1940-41
Nature: New 3 & 4 room working-class flats for Charlemont Public Utility Society. Cost: £740 per flat. Consulting engineer for reinforced concete construction: Thomas Garland. General Contractors: J.C. Delany, Ltd, 9 Peter's Place, Adelaide Rd, Dublin.
Refs: Design exh. RHA 1941, no. 367; IB 83, 30 Aug 1941, 405-6(illus.); Architectural Design, Jul 1947, 190(illus.); John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 233 (gives date as 1944);  Paul Larmour, Free State Architecture:  Modern Movement architecture in Ireland, 1922-1949 (Kinsale: Gandon Editions, 2009), 72,73(illus.);  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 513-4.


Building: CO. DUBLIN, SHANKILL, ST ANNE'S
Date: 1940a
Nature: New house. For Alfred W. Kirkpatrick?
Refs: John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 233, give date as 1930c but does not appear in the directories until 1940

Building: CO. CAVAN, VIRGINIA (NEAR), HOUSE
Date: 1940s
Nature: Alterations to 19th c. house on lough, for Terence Gray.
Refs: John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 60-62,233

Building: CO. LAOIS, EMO COURT
Date: 1942
Nature: Refurbishment of chapel.
Refs: John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 233

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, ATHLONE, PALACE BAR
Date: 1942
Nature: Proposed alts., for D.E. Williams, Ltd.
Refs: Dyeline prints, 1942, in IAA, Acc. 79/10.25/1-3

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HARCOURT STREET, NO. 046-48 (FOUR PROVINCES HOUSE)
Date: 1942-48
Nature: New HQ of Irish Bakers, Confectioners and Allied Workers Amalgamated Union on site of Harcourt Street Baptist Church which was retained as dance hall Carvings by Laurence Campbell and Hilary Heron. To have murals by Francis Kelly. (Demolished 1988).
Refs: IAA, PKS 0383,0433; RIAI Year Book (1946), 44(illus.); John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 128-9,233

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ?, ROURKE'S BAKERY
Date: 1943
Nature: ?
Refs: John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 233

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ABBEY STREET LOWER, NO. 026 (ABBEY BAR)
Date: 1943-45
Nature: Proposed alts., for Thomas Lennon.
Refs: Drawings, 1943-45, in IAA, Acc. 79/10.14/1-21

Building: CO. OFFALY, TULLABEG, COLLEGE OF ST STANISLAUS
Date: 1943-47
Nature: Conversion of room into private chapel for Jesuit community, for Very Rev. Fr. O'Sullivan, SJ.. 5 windows by Evie Hone. Carved altar front, crucifix, Madonna, St Ignatius by Laurence Campbell.
Refs: Drawings, 1943-47, in IAA, Acc. 79/10.22/1-16; design for altar exh. RHA 1943, no. 276; John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 107-8

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ?, DUBLIN UNITED TRANSPORT CO. MEN'S CLUB
Date: 1943a
Nature: Design exh. RHA.
Refs: RHA 1943, no. 275

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, STILLORGAN ROAD (DONNYBROOK), CORAS IOMPAIR EIREANN BUS GARAGE
Date: 1944-1951
Nature: New. With James Brennan.
Refs: Designs, 1944-51, in IAA, Acc. 79/10.6/1-69; Architectural Survey (1953), 26(illus.); John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 123-127(illus.),230,233;  Paul Larmour, Free State Architecture:  Modern Movement architecture in Ireland, 1922-1949 (Kinsale: Gandon Editions, 2009), 84.85(illus.).



Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, STORE STREET, CIE BUS STATION & OFFICES (BUSARAS)
Date: 1944-53
Nature: Design (drawn by Kevin P. Fox) exh. RHA 1944. Plans approved 1945. For Coras Iompair Eireann. Won RIAI Triennial Gold Medal. 'From all accounts, it was not designed by Scott but largely by his team, principally Wilfred Cantwell, Kevin Fox, Robin Walker, Kevin Roche and Pat Scott (mosaics).' (Casey)
Refs: IAA, PKS 0212, 0235, 0249, 0326, 0411, 0554, ; RHA 1944, no. 241; IB 87, 6 Oct 1945, 522; Aras Mhic Dhiarmada (Basil Clancy, 1953 or later); Architectural Survey (1953), 22-25(illus.); John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 131-159(illus.),233;  Building a Business: 150 Years of the Sisk Group, ed. by Madeleine Lyons (Dublin:  Associated Editions, 2009), 68-69(illus.);  Paul Larmour, Free State Architecture:  Modern Movement architecture in Ireland, 1922-1949 (Kinsale: Gandon Editions, 2009), 84,86-88(illus.);  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 168. 



Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, AILESBURY DRIVE, HOUSES
Date: 1944a-1949
Nature: Design exh. RHA 1944.
Refs: RHA 1944, no. 243; John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 233

Building: CO. DOWN, CASTLEWELLAN CASTLE
Date: 1945
Nature: Proposed alterations, for 8th Earl Annesley.
Refs: Plans and outline specification, 1945, in PRONI, D1854/8/11 (see PRONI e-catalogue).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, INCHICORE, CIE CHASSIS FACTORY
Date: 1945-1950
Nature: New factory. Consulting engineer: Ove Arup & Partners. Contractor: G. & T. Crampton, Ltd. (£274,515; contract signed 11 Jun 1947, work to be completed in 21 months).
Refs: Drawings, 1945-50, in IAA, Acc.79/10.2/1-144; bill of variations and correspondence in IAA, PKS 0487; IAA, PKS 0211; B ?, 11 Dec 1953, 924-926(illus.); John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 119-122(illus.),233 (gives date as 1946-48);  Ruth McManus, Crampton Built (Dublin: G. & T. Crampton, 2008),;  Paul Larmour, Free State Architecture:  Modern Movement architecture in Ireland, 1922-1949 (Kinsale: Gandon Editions, 2009),84,85(illus.).



Building: CO. DUBLIN, ABBEVILLE
Date: 1945a
Nature: Work on same, for Albert P. Reynolds.
Refs: John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 131

Building: CO. KERRY, ROSSDOHAN HOUSE (SNEEM)
Date: 1946
Nature: New Dutch colonial house on part of site of earlier house (burnt 1922) for - Fitzgerald (burnt 1955ca).(According to Darby 'various architects' were involved in the design.)
Refs: Michael Darby, John Pollard Seddon (Victoria & Albert Museum, 1983), 90;  John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 233

Building: CO. OFFALY, BANAGHER, HOUSES
Date: 1946
Nature: Terrace housing for Offaly Co. Council. Cost: £650 per house.
Refs: Architectural Design, Jul 1947, 187

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, CLONMEL, BUS STATION
Date: 1946-49
Nature: With Buckley & O'Gorman. For Coras Iompair Eireann.
Refs: IAA, PKS 0412, 0531

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CHARLEMONT STREET, ST ULTAN'S HOSPITAL (TEACH ULTAN)
Date: 1947-48
Nature: Extension. Contractor: A.J. Jennings & Co.
Refs: Bill of Quantities, 29 Jul 1948, in IAA, PKS 0321; AJ107, 12 Feb 1948, 151-152(illus.); John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 233

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, CASTLEBLAYNEY, MORAGHTY, HOUSES (071)
Date: 1948
Nature: Bill of quantities for erection of 71 houses with fuel stores. Contractor: Robert Cullen & Sons. For Castleblayney UDC.
Refs: IAA, PKS 0313, 0570 (includes drawings)

Building: CO. ROSCOMMON, ROSCOMMON, COUNTY HOSPITAL
Date: 1949-1953
Nature: New hospital, designed by Robin Walker.
Refs: John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 181,234

Building: CO. ROSCOMMON, ROSCOMMON, COURTHOUSE SQUARE, COUNTY COURT HOUSE
Date: 1950
Nature: Tenders invited for carrying out repairs.
Refs: IB 92, 22 Jul 1950, 776

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CORPORATION STREET, NO. 057 (METRO-GOLDWYN MAYER PICTURES LTD.)
Date: 1950
Nature: New film vaults. Contractor: J. Lambe.
Refs: IAA, PKS 0237

Building: CO. OFFALY, BIRR, MARKET SQUARE, D.E. WILLIAMS LTD.
Date: 1950
Nature: New premises. Contractor: John Sisk & Son.
Refs: IAA, PKS 0238

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ST STEPHEN'S GREEN, NO. 027-31 (SHELBOURNE HOTEL)
Date: 1950;1954-1956
Nature: Refurbishment and extension into into Nos. 32 and 33, 1950.  New ballroom at rear, 1954-56, with 'octagonal pyramid' roof and galleries, designed by Patrick Scott with carpets by Louis Le Broquy. (Since rebuilt.) Contractor: Christopher G. Cooney, Ltd.
Refs: 1IAA, PKS 0214; John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 174(illus.),233;  Michael O'Sullivan and Bernadine O'Neill, The Shelbourne and its People (Dublin: Blackwater Press, 1999), 83-86 (information from Shane O'Toole);  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005),  .

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HARCOURT TERRACE, NO. 004
Date: 1950s?
Nature: Alterations for Michael MacLiammoir and Hilton Edward.
Refs: Information from David Griffin, IAA.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, SANTRY, MCCAIRNE'S MOTORS
Date: 1952-54
Nature: New car assembly plant.
Refs: Architectural Survey (1953), 17(illus.); AJ , 23 Aug 1956, 275-286(illus.); John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 233

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SHELBOURNE ROAD (BALLSBRIDGE), MOTOR DISTRIBUTORS LTD
Date: 1953a
Nature: New showroom.
Refs: Architectural Design (1953), 17(illus.

Building: CO. ROSCOMMON, ROSCOMMON, COUNTY OFFICES
Date: 1954
Nature: New.
Refs: John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 234

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, EAST WALL ROAD, STEWARTS & LLOYDS
Date: 1954-1956
Nature: New warehouse and offices fo Stewarts & Lloyds, tubemakers. Designed by Patrick Hamilton.
Refs: John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 233

Building: CO. GALWAY, ST CLERAN'S
Date: 1954p
Nature: Alterations, for John Huston, who bought house in 1954.
Refs: Information from David Griffin, IAA.

Building: CO. GALWAY, LETTERMORE, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1955
Nature: Proposed church with reinforced concrete shell roof for Bishop Michael Browne of Galway, designed by Robin Walker. Not executed.
Refs: John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 184(illus.),185

Building: CO. WATERFORD, WATERFORD, PARNELL STREET, CENTRAL TECHNICAL INSTITUTE
Date: 1955
Nature: Adds. & alts. With Wilfred Cantwell. For Waterford City VEC..
Refs: IAA, PKS 0203

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BRIDGEFOOT STREET, OLIVER BOND HOUSE
Date: 1955p
Nature: New flats for Dublin Corporation..
Refs: IAA, PKS 0219,0421,0427,0440, 0448, 0466; John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 233

Building: CO. GALWAY, GALWAY, SEA ROAD, CHURCH OF ST IGNATIUS (RC, JESUIT)
Date: 1956
Nature: Oratory of Madonna of the Wayside, with mosaic designed by Louis Le Broquy and executed by SARIM, Venice.
Refs: Architectural Survey (1958), 10(illus.); John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 186,187,188(illus.);  Tom May, Churches of Galway, Kilmacduagh and Kilfenora (Galway, 2000), 92(illus.). 

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, EARL STREET NORTH, NO. 023 & 24
Date: 1956
Nature: Alts. In basement, for Bolgers Stores Ltd.
Refs: IAA, PKS 1136

Building: CO. CARLOW, CARLOW, GENERAL HOSPITAL
Date: 1956-57
Nature: Proposed nw hospital designed by Robin Walker and Ronald Tallon. Not executed.
Refs: John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 181,234

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GOLDENBRIDGE, FACTORY (BROWN & POLSON)
Date: 1956-59
Nature: New factory opened. Cost £200,000. Designed by Patrick Scott.
Refs: IB 101, 14 Nov 1959, 856; John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 234

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, CARRICKMACROSS, EMMET ROAD, HOUSES (056)
Date: 1956a
Nature: Terraces of 56 2-storey houses.  Contractors: John Kenny & Sons.
Refs: Building Construction & Engineering Survey & Directory (1956), 13(illus.).

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, MONAGHAN, POUND HILL, HOUSES (090+)
Date: 1956a
Nature: Scheme of over 90 houses.   Built by direct labour.
Refs: Building Construction & Engineering Survey & Directory (1956), 15(illus.).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MARLBOROUGH STREET, NO. 002-3 (ABBEY THEATRE)
Date: 1958-66
Nature: New theatre, with Ronald Tallon. Consultant Architect: Pierre Sonrel, Paris.
Refs: IB 101, 10 Jan 1959, 9; John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 161-170(illus.),234

Building: CO. KILDARE, NEWBRIDGE, IRISH ROPES STAFF HOSTEL
Date: 1958a
Nature: New.
Refs: Architectural Survey (1958), 37(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DAWSON STREET, COFFEE BAR
Date: 1958a
Nature: -
Refs: Architectural Survey (1958), 31(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, TOWNSEND STREET, GARAGE
Date: 1959a
Nature: New filling station.
Refs: Architectural Survey (1959), 35(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CLONSKEAGH, GARAGE
Date: 1959a
Nature: New filling station.
Refs: Architectural Survey (1959), 34(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, SANDYCOVE, JOYCE'S TOWER
Date: 1962
Nature: Conversion into Joyce Museum.
Refs: John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 201-203(illus.),, 233

Building: CO. LAOIS, EMO COURT
Date: ?
Nature: Removal of old roof and insertion of long room behind parapet.Stabilizing of plaster ceiling.
Refs: E.McParland, 'Emo Court, Co. Leix', Country Life 155, 30 May 1974, 1346-49; John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995), 110

Author Title Date Details
O'regan, John, & Dearey, Nicola (eds) Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker 1995 Dublin, 1995.
Scott, Michael John [President's Inaugural Address to AAI] 1937 AAI Green Book (1938), 27-32