Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architectural practice of Drogheda and Dublin. In 1894 ANTHONY SCOTT ANTHONY SCOTT , architect and engineer in Navan, Co. Meath, opened a second office in Drogheda, Co. Louth, assisted by his eldest son WILLIAM ALPHONSUS SCOTT WILLIAM ALPHONSUS SCOTT . His practice was henceforth known as ANTHONY SCOTT & SON  ANTHONY SCOTT & SON although this did not apparently indicate a formal partnership between father and son.(1) The Navan office appears to have have been given up at some point before 1902, when Anthony Scott transferred the practice from Drogheda to Dublin. A notice announcing the move in the Irish Builder in December 1902 names the firm as 'Anthony Scott & Sons',(5) which, if correct, suggests that ANTHONY COLMAN SCOTT  ANTHONY COLMAN SCOTT was by then also working with his father. In fact William Scott, who had been in London for three years, remained in his father's office only very briefly after his return,(6) so that, somewhat confusingly, the name of the practice reverted again to Anthony Scott & Son. Pupils and assistants in the office included THOMAS SHEPARD. THOMAS SHEPARD.

See WORKS; see also works of ANTHONY SCOTT ANTHONY SCOTT , ANTHONY COLMAN SCOTT  ANTHONY COLMAN SCOTT and WILLIAM ALPHONSUS SCOTT. WILLIAM ALPHONSUS SCOTT.



References



(1) According to Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 31, William Scott returned to Ireland in June 1902 'following an offer of partnership in his father's office'.


8 work entries listed in chronological order for SCOTT, ANTHONY, & SON(S)


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. MEATH, CLOONEY, HOUSE
Date: 1894
Nature: New house, for Francis McKeever, to be commenced. Faced with Kingscourt bricks & Portmarnock strings. Oak half-timbered gables, oak verandah.
Refs: IB 36, 15 Feb 1894, 47

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, ROCHFORTBRIDGE, CONVENT HALL SCHOOLS
Date: 1895
Nature: New.  Contractor: T. Reilly, Killucan (£1,235).
Refs: IB 37, 1 Jul 1895, 167; 63rd Report of the Commissioners of National Education in Ireland (1896), 22.

Building: CO. MEATH, PORTAN, HOUSE
Date: 1895
Nature: New house for Nicholas Delaney, Esq. Contract taken for £1,065.
Refs: IB 37, 15 Apr,1 Jul 1895, 100,167

Building: CO. MEATH, JAMESTOWN (RATOATH), HOUSE
Date: 1896
Nature: Proposed new villa residence for B. McCabe, Esq.
Refs: IB 38, 1 Feb 1896, 29,31(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, EARL STREET NORTH, NO. 011 & 12 (O'REILLY & CO.)
Date: 1899
Nature: Refurbishment of former premises of Jackson & Co., grocers, to create'a thoroughly equipped new drapery and outfitting establishment' for O'Reilly & Co. Contractor: Thomas Roche, d
Dublin.
Refs: Irish Times, 27 Mar 1899.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MOUNTJOY SQUARE, NO. 001 & 2
Date: 1902
Nature: 'Nos. 1-2 were rendered, cannelled and given classical trim in 1902  for the Ancient Order of Hibernians by A, Scott & Son.' (Casey)
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 202.

Building: CO. CLARE, ENNISTYMON, CONVENT OF MERCY NATIONAL SCHOOL
Date: 1914
Nature: Tenders invited for erection of new schools at Convent of Mercy.
Refs: Freeman's Journal, 28,29 Apr 1914; IB 56, 9 May 1914, 296.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, KINSEALY, SCHOOLMASTER'S RESIDENCE
Date: 1915
Nature: Residence attached to RC schools.
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, MS p1/2