Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Drogheda and later of Dublin. William Scott, eldest of the four sons of ANTHONY SCOTT ANTHONY SCOTT , was born in Dublin on 1 September 1871. He attended Manorhamilton Classical School and St Finian's Seminary, Navan, before entering his father's office in Navan(1) in 1887. At some stage he also studied at the Metropolitan School of Art in Dublin. From 1890 to 1893 he was an articled pupil in the office of THOMAS NEWENHAM DEANE & THOMAS NEWENHAM DEANE & amp; SON. At that time Deane was Superintendent of National Monuments, and it may have been during or immediately after serving his apprenticeship that Scott spent six months with the Board of Works renovating ancient monuments. In 1893 he rejoined his father, who at about the same time opened a new office in Drogheda under the name of ANTHONY SCOTT & ANTHONY SCOTT & amp; SON. While working with his father, Scott sat the RIBA intermediate and final examinations in London and in 1897 entered and won the Enniskillen Town Hall Competition. In 1899 he went to London, where he spent three years, working for the first year in various offices, including that of Frederic Chancellor & Son, and for the second and third years in the Architect's Department of London County Council, initially in the housing section and from May 1900(2) in the Fire Brigade Branch. He returned to Dublin in June 1902.(3) In the same year his father moved his officefrom Navan to Dublin. Although Larmour states that it was the offer of a partnership in his father's new Dublin office that persuaded him to return from London, the arrangement was short-lived; by 1904 William was working independently from his home in Drumcondra. His brother ANTHONY COLMAN SCOTT  ANTHONY COLMAN SCOTT had meanwhile joined his father, whose practice therefore continued to be known as Anthony Scott & Son.

Scott returned to Ireland from London deeply influenced by the Arts & Crafts movement. Early Irish Christian and Byzantine architecture also proved a major source of inspiration for the Catholic church work which formed a large part of his practice. His domestic architecture tended to be for private clients rather than for public bodies, although he was appointed assistant consulting architect to South Dublin Rural District Council in 1908.(4) His early success in the Enniskillen town hall competition was followed by designs for the town hall at Cavan (1907-11), and in 1915 he acted as assessor for the Louth County Offices in Dundalk.(5) Through his membership of the Society of Architects and the RIBA, Scott retained links with the British architectural scene. He also familiarized himself with Continental European architecture by travelling in Belgium, France Germany, Austria and Italy. In 1904 he attended the international conference of architects in Madrid.(6) Two years later, in May 1906, he and his friend the critic ROBERT ELLIOTT ROBERT ELLIOTT , who had done much to publicize his work, set out on an 'extended architectural tour'; their route included visits to Ravenna and Constantinople and 'a study of the earlier Byzantine basilicas' in Turkey.(7)

In 1911 Scott was appointed to the new Chair of Architecture at University College, Dublin, succeeding Sir THOMAS DREW THOMAS DREW , who had died only two months after his appointment.(8) In November of the same year he embarked on a series of lectures in connection with the course.(9) The course appears to have had an informal structure and few students, JOSEPH VINCENT DOWNES  JOSEPH VINCENT DOWNES and VINCENT KELLY  VINCENT KELLY being the only graduates during the ten years Scott occupied the chair. Kelly recalled learning the Orders from Scott in a pub on Leeson Street, where Scott 'used to dip his finger into the head of the pint and made the drawing on the table'. After Scott's death the School remained in abeyance until the appointment of RUDOLF MAXIMILIAN BUTLER  RUDOLF MAXIMILIAN BUTLER to the professorship in about 1926.(10)

Scott died, aged fifty, on 23 April 1921 from pneumonia brought on by a severe chill caught when he walked in his university robes in Archbishop Walsh's funeral procession.(11) He was prone to pneumonia and had experienced severe attacks in 1913(12) and 1914. He was buried in the family plot in Glasnevin Cemetery. Three years before his death he had had the experience of reading his own obituary, having been mistakenly confused with the English architect William Scott, who died at Cannes in 1918.(13)   He had married Catherine, daughter of Patrick Crumley, MP, DL, of Enniskillen, in 1900 but had no children. His niece Ethna Byrne Costigan, daughter of Scott's sister Mary Ellen and THOMAS JOSEPH BYRNE THOMAS JOSEPH BYRNE , remembered him as a genial uncle playing with her baby sister Joan, who 'was delighted when Uncle Willie took her in his arms and dandled her and pretended to hide her under his jacket, saying to Mummy that he'd like to steal her away and bring her home with him', though she recalled that the 'beautiful house in Mountjoy Square' where her childless uncle and aunt lived 'always seemed silent and lonely'.(14)

For his entry in Who's Who Scott listed his recreations as 'Fishing, yachting, motoring, nature study'. By the latter years of his life, at least, he had become a heavy drinker - W.B. Yeats refers to him as a 'drunken genius' in letters to John Quinn and Herbert Grierson of 1918 and 1921(15) - yet his creativity seems to have remained unimpaired until the end.(16)

The Irish Architectural Archive holds the following Scott material: a competition design for the Presbyterian Assembly Hall, Belfast, 1901 (Acc. 87/98); a set of drawings for St Brendan's Schools, Loughrea, 1905, and two undated detail drawings for confessionals in Loughrea Cathedral (Acc. 95/47); a set of drawings for the church on Station Island, Lough Derg, Co. Donegal, 1920 (Acc. 2000/40); a model, with an attached report, for an unexecuted table for Thoor Ballylee, Co. Galway, 1918.(Acc. 93/39).

AAI: elected member, 1896;(17) reads paper on 'Egypt, the Cradle of Architecture', 24 January 1899;(18) reads paper on 'The Round Towers of Ireland', 21 November 1899;(19) reads paper on 'Irish Romanesque Architecture', 27 October 1908;(20) reads paper on 'The Byzantine Architecture of Constantinople, Ravenna and Venice', 5 December 1911;(21) elected president, 1913;(22) committee member, 1915-1917.
RIAI: probationer, <=1889-1900; elected member, 2 May 1901, having been proposed by WALTER GLYNN DOOLIN WALTER GLYNN DOOLIN , seconded by FREDERICK BATCHELOR FREDERICK BATCHELOR , GEORGE PATRICK SHERIDAN  GEORGE PATRICK SHERIDAN and Rudolf Maxilmilian Butler;(23) raised to fellow, 1913;(24) member of council, 1912, 1916-18; hon. treasurer, 1913-1915.(25)
RIBA:(26) student, 1895; passed final exam, 1898; elected associate, 1899.
RSAI: elected member, 16 July 1894.(27) re-elected member, 30 January 1912.(28)
RHA: elected associate member, 18 July 1910.(29)
Society of Architects: member, 1899, winning Silver Medal in Society's examination;(30) member of council; appointed examiner in planning and design, 1906;(31) reads paper on Greek architecture, 7 May 1912.(32)

Addresses:(33) 16 William Street, Drogheda, 1894-1898; 35 Fanthorpe Street, London, SW, 1902; 34 Sackville Street, 1903; 72 Hollybank Road, Drumcondra, 1903-1904; 74 Hollybank Road, Drumcondra, 1905;(34) 45 Mountjoy Square, 1906 until death, also Bewley's Chambers, 19-20, Fleet St, Dublin, 1919(35) until death.

See WORKS and BIBLIOGRAPHY BIBLIOGRAPHY



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 28-41, the entries on Scott in Who was who 1916-1928, 731, and Directory of British Architects 1834-1900 (RIBA, 1993), 813. Obituaries are in IB 63, 7 May 1921, 326, and JRIAI (1922), ? (by R.M. Butler). Brief biograhies are in the Freeman's Journal, 4 Apr 1911, and AAI Green Book (1914), 9-10. A crayon portrait of Scott by Francis Joseph O'Donohoe is reproduced in IA & C 1, 15 Apr 1911, 170 and in Larmour, loc. cit. (Photocopy in IAA, Acc. 87/110). A portrait photograph in IB 53, 13 May, 1911, 305, appears again in IB 54, 31 Aug 1912, 498, and IB 55, 21 Jun 1913, 396; a different photograph forms the frontispiece to AAI Green Book (1914). For assessments of Scott's work see Nicola Gordon Bowe & Elizabeth Cumming, The Arts and Crafts Movements in Dublin & Edinburgh 1885-1925 (1998), 190-191, and Sean Rothery, Ireland and the New Architecture 1900-1940 (1991), 29-36.

(1) According to Larmour, the office was already in Drogheda.
(2) Rothery, op. cit., above, 31.
(2) IB 44, 3 Jul 1902, 1299.
(4) Freeman's Journal, 22 Oct 1908;  IB 50, 31 Oct 1908, 653.
(5) IB 57, 16 Jan,10 Apr 1915, 34,161; Building News 108, 22 Jan 1915, 97; 109, 14 Jul 1915, 38.
(6) IB 46, 23 Apr 1904, 237.
(7) IB 48, 5 May 1906, 345.
(8) IB 53, 15 Apr,13 May 1911, 229,305; 54, 14 Sep 1912, 526; IA & C 1, 8 Apr 1911, 147;Building News 100, 14 Apr 1911, 544; RIBAJ 20 (1912-13), 121.
(9) IB 53, 25 Nov 1911, 773; Building News 101, 24 Nov 1911, 727; Scott gave lectures to a number of other bodies: the AAI (see below), the Society of Architects (see below), the National Literary Society,(IB 46, 27 Feb 1904, 111) and the Classical Association of Ireland.(IB 55, 6 Dec 1913, 757).
(10) John O'Regan & Nicola Dearey, eds., Michael Scott Architect in (casual) conversation with Dorothy Walker (1995),69.
(11) IB 63, 7 May 1921, 326; Byrne Costigan 217. According to Byrne Costigan, p. 217, the funeral was that of Cardinal Logue.
(12) Building News 105, 5 Sep 1913, 328.
(13) Who Was Who 1916-1928 perpetuates the error.
(14) Byrne Costigan, op. cit., 87. According to Byrne-Costigan's cousin, John Byrne (verbal communication), Thomas Joseph's Byrne and R.M. Butler, were Scott's executors.
(15) Mary Hanley & Liam Miller, Thoor Ballylee home of William Butler Yeats (2nd revised edition, 1977), 16,21.
(16) With the exception of the years 1908, 1913 and 1914, he exhibited regularly at the Royal Hibernian Academy from 1904 until 1920. In addition to the designs listed under WORKS, he also exhibited 'Study for a church' (1911, no. 352), 'Memorial Tower' (1912, no. 414), 'Design for Memorial Cross' (1915, no. 480), 'Design for a Chalice' (1918, no. 333) and a watercolour view of 'Old Houses, Wych Street, London' (1920, no. 309).
(17) Lists of members in IAA Green Books.
(18) IB 41, 15 Jan 1899, 11.
(19) Irish Times, 23 Nov 1899;  IB 41, 15 Nov,1 Dec 1899, 188,201 .
(20) IB 50, 28 Nov 1908, 722, and Building News 95, 4 Dec 1908, 791-793.
(21) IB 53, 9 Dec 1911, 806,813.
(22) IB 55, 15 Mar 1913, 161.
(23) RIAI general meeting minutes, 2 May 1901, 359;  IAA, RIAI office archives (Acc. 93/136), membership forms 1878-1909 (extremely fragile).
(24) JRIAI (1914), 7.
(25) JRIAI (1922), 2.
(26) RIBAJ 6 (1898-99), 77,287.
(27) JRSAI 24, 298.
(28) JRSAI 42 (1912), 83.
(29) Freeman's Journal, 23 Jul 1910.
(30) IB 48, 5 May 1906, 344.
(31) See note 28, above.
(32) IB 54, 11 May 1912, 273.
(33) Information from Thom's directories, RSAI, RIAI and AAI lists of members unless otherwise attributed.
(34) IB 47, 9 Sep 1905, 634, and RHA Index, III, 139.
(35) IB 61, 13 Sep 1919, 394.


122 work entries listed in chronological order for SCOTT, WILLIAM ALPHONSUS


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. MEATH, DUNSHAUGHLIN, UNION WORKHOUSE
Date: 1895
Nature: Alts. to children's ward, for Board of Guardians.
Refs: IB 37, 15 Dec 1895, 290

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, ENNISKILLEN, TOWNHALL STREET, TOWN HALL
Date: 1897-1901
Nature: Anthony & William Scott win competition (Assessor: Thomas Drew). Building begun Sep 1897. FS laid by Lady Enniskillen, 2 May 1898. Opened 6 Jan 1901 by Countess of Erne. Cost: £13,000. Contractor: James Harvey, Enniskillen..
Refs: Design exh. RHA 1899, no. 299; IB 39, 1,15 Jun Jun,15 Jul 1897, 103,125,141; 40, 15 May 1898, 77; 41, 15 Jun,15 Oct,1 Dec 1899, 64,65,159(illus. in supplement),199; 42, 15 Jan,1 Oct 1900, 243,493; 43, 16 Jan 1901, 600; 44, 30 Jan 1902, 1021; Building News 73, 17 Dec 1897, 867(illus. in supplement); 80, 18 Jan 1901, 85; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 281

Building: CO. SLIGO, CLOGHEREVAGH
Date: 1899
Nature: Remodelling of house for Capt. Graham Owen Robert Wynne (whose wife, Maud Anna, was sister of Lord Killanin).
Refs: Nicola Gordon Bowe, '"The wild heath has broken out again in the heather field': Philanthropic endeavour and Arts and Crafts achievement in early 20th-century Kilkenny, Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies II (1999), 74

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, FISHERWICK PLACE, PRESBYTERIAN ASSEMBLY BUILDING
Date: 1899-1900
Nature: Competition entrant, with T.J. Byrne.
Refs: Perspective view in IAA, Acc. 87/98.1; see D.J. Griffin and S. Lincoln, Drawings from the Irish Architectural Archive (IAA, 1993), 69(illus.); IB 43, 1 Jan 1901, 591

Building: ENGLAND, LONDON, HAMPSTEAD, WEST END LANE FIRE STATION
Date: 1901
Nature: Designed by WAS under Charles Winmill for London County Council.
Refs: Sean Rothery, Ireland and the New Architecture1900-1940 (1991), 30(illus.),31; Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 30(illus.)

Building: ENGLAND, CHIPSTEAD (SURREY), HOUSES
Date: 1902
Nature: Erected 1902 for J. Ryder Hunt, 'one of the big London surveyors'. Designs exh. RHA.
Refs: RHA 1906, nos. 297,302; IB 48, 28 Jul 1906, 600(illus. in supplement); Nicola Gordon Bowe, '"The wild heath has broken out again in the heather field': Philanthropic endeavour and Arts and Crafts achievement in early 20th-century Kilkenny, Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies II (1999), 73; Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 31(illus.)

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, RAHARNEY (KILLUCAN), CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1903
Nature: Imps.
Refs: IB 45, 21 May 1903, 1782

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, KILLYHEVLIN HOUSE (ENNISKILLEN)
Date: 1903
Nature: 'a clearly Voysey-influenced house', for William E. Hurst. Contractor: James Harvey, Enniskillen.
Refs: Designs exh. RHA 1904, nos. 305,306, and 1907, no. 365; IB 46, 26 Mar 1904, 182; 50, 25 Jan 1908, [illus. in supplement];Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 286; Nicola Gordon Bowe, '"The wild heath has broken out again in the heather field': Philanthropic endeavour and Arts and Crafts achievement in early 20th-century Kilkenny, Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies II (1999), 74; Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 31(illus.);  Richard W. Chambers, St Patrick's Church, Castle Archdale: a centenary celebration (2008),85.

Building: CO. GALWAY, SPIDDAL, CHURCH OF ST ENDA (RC)
Date: 1903-1907
Nature: Free Celtic Revival church, adjacent to old church.. Granite & limestone. For Father Mark Conroy, PP. Pew in N transept for co-founder, Lord Killanin. Started Spring 1904. FS laid 9 Oct 1904. Dedicated 18 Aug 1907 by Dr McCormack, Bishop of Galway. Also high altar, BV altar & font (1907). Builder: Thomas Griffin & Son, Galway. Stained glass window: Sarah Purser. Altars & marble work by Galway Granite Co. Commission received on advice of Edward Martyn.
Refs: Design exh. RHA 1904, nos. 295, 301, and 1905, no.340; IB 55, 16 Jul,13 Aug 1903, 1868(illus.),1907; 56, 26 Mar,5 Nov 1904, 182,758; 57, 6 May 1905, 310; 59, 24 Aug,7 Sep 1907, 577,582,618; B 86, 20 Feb 1904, 211; 87, 3 Dec 1904, 578(illus. in supplement); The Mantle, Vol 2 (1958); Jeanne Sheehy, The Rediscovery of Ireland's Past: the Celtic Revival 1830-1930 (1980), 137-8(illus.); Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 31-32(illus.);  Tom May, Churches of Galway, Kilmacduagh and Kilfenora (Galway, 2000), 160-163(illus.).

Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1904
Nature: O'Growney memorial tomb designed by Scott in form of small Celtic oratory. For Gaelic League.
Refs: Design exh. RHA 1904, no. 301; IB 46, 30 Jan 1904, 37; 47, 14 Jan,8 Apr 1905, 5,229-30(illus.); B 87, 31 Dec 1904,697(illus. in supplement); described in article by Robert Elliott in The Leader, ? ? 1905, ?; Jeanne Sheehy, The Rediscovery of Ireland's Past: the Celtic Revival 1830-1930 (1980), 138(illus.); Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 32,33(illus.)

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, ADRUMSEE (CLONES), CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1904
Nature: Tenders invited for additions.
Refs: B 86, 12 Mar 1904, 298

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, DYSART, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1905
Nature: Tenders invited for carrying out additions.
Refs: B 47, 13 May 1905, 527

Building: CO. GALWAY, LOUGHREA, ST BRENDAN'S SCHOOLS
Date: 1905
Nature: New school in Piggott's Lane, for Dr O'Dea, Bishop of Clonfert. Contractor: Peter Sweeny, Loughrea. (Demolished early 1990s by ESB.)
Refs: Contract drawings, dated 17 May 1905, block plan, details, in IAA, Acc. 95/47

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, CLONES, DIAMOND, HOUSES (005)
Date: 1905
Nature: Terrace of 3 Arts & Crafts houses adjoining church wall, 1905, and 2 on lower E side.
Refs: Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 33(illus.),34;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 277.


Building: CO. FERMANAGH, ENNISKILLEN, BELMORE STREET, CONVENT OF MERCY
Date: 1905-1906
Nature: Chapel. Irish Romanesque. contractor: Hynes & Son, Enniskillen.
Refs: Design exh RHA 1906, nos. 274,298,299; IB 48, 24 Mar,6 Oct 1906, 232,789(illus. in supplement); 53, 1 Apr 1911, 206(illus.); AJ 64, 18 Aug 1926, 207(illus.); Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 279; Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 32-33(illus.)

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, EMYVALE, DISPENSARY & DISPENSARY RESIDENCE
Date: 1905-1907
Nature: Tenders invited for erection of same, 1905. Completed, 1906. Contractor: Henry McGeough, Old Cross Sq, Monaghan. Cost: £937.
Refs: IB 47, 15 Jul,12 Aug,9 Sep 1905, 494,562,634; 48, 1 Dec 1906, 968; 49, 9 Feb 1907, 100

Building: CO. KILKENNY, TALBOT'S INCH (KILKENNY), CUL-NA-GREINE
Date: 1905p
Nature: House for manager of Woollen Mill, Mr Hunter.
Refs: Nicola Gordon Bowe, '"The wild heath has broken out again in the heather field': Philanthropic endeavour and Arts and Crafts achievement in early 20th-century Kilkenny, Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies II (1999), 75

Building: CO. KILKENNY, TALBOT'S INCH (KILKENNY), HOUSES (026)
Date: 1906
Nature: 26 houses for married workers in Arts & Crafts style.
Refs: Design for pair of foremen's cottages exh, RHA 1907, no. 358?; IB 49, 30 Nov 1907, [illus. in supplement]; Nicola Gordon Bowe, '"The wild heath has broken out again in the heather field': Philanthropic endeavour and Arts and Crafts achievement in early 20th-century Kilkenny, Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies II (1999), 75-78 (illus.)Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 36(illus.)

Building: CO. GALWAY, ABBEY (LOUGHREA), CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1906
Nature: Tenders invited for carrying out alts. & imps. for Rev. Patrick Egan, PP.
Refs: IB 48, 22 Sep 1906, 782

Building: CO. GALWAY, DUNIRY (LOUGHREA), CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1906
Nature: Tenders invited for carrying out alts. & imps. for Rev. Patrick Egan, PP.
Refs: IB 48, 22 Sep 1906, 782; B 91, 22 Sep 1906, 356

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, ENNISKILLEN, FORESTERS' HALL
Date: 1906a
Nature: New. Design exh. RHA.
Refs: RHA 1906, no. 269; IB 48, 24 Mar 1906, 232

Building: CO. GALWAY, GALWAY, CLADDAGH HALL
Date: 1907
Nature: 'designed as a school of industry and public meeting rooms for the local fishing community under the aegis of the Gaelic League, but now much altered'.
Refs: Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 35(illus.)

Building: CO. LOUTH, DROGHEDA, SHOP STREET, CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE (RC, AUGUSTINIAN)
Date: 1907
Nature: Altar, in course of completion. Sculptor: Early & Co, Camden St.
Refs: IB 49, 19 Oct,22 Nov 1907, 729,761

Building: ENGLAND, HOVE (SUSSEX), PUBLIC LIBRARY
Date: 1907
Nature: Design exhibited at RHA (competition entry?)
Refs: RHA 1907, no. 359

Building: CO. KILKENNY, TALBOT'S INCH (KILKENNY), TIGH NA CAIRDE
Date: 1907
Nature: House for Kilkenny Woodworkers factory manager, William Faulds.
Refs: Nicola Gordon Bowe, '"The wild heath has broken out again in the heather field': Philanthropic endeavour and Arts and Crafts achievement in early 20th-century Kilkenny, Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies II (1999), 84-85(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, TALLAGHT, ST MARY'S PRIORY (DOMINICAN)
Date: 1907
Nature: Rebuilding of house lately destroyed by fire, renovation, for Very Rev. B. Duggan, OP. Contractor: John Reid, Malahide.
Refs: IB 49, 1 Jun,24 Aug 1907, 394,594

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, LOUGHBAWN, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: 1907
Nature: Tenders invited for carrying out alts. & imps. (addition of chancel and belfry; refenestration).
Refs: B 92, 9 Feb 1907, 171;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 176.


Building: CO. GALWAY, ATHENRY, AGRICULTURAL COLLEGE
Date: 1907-08
Nature: Farm buildings, gate lodge. £27,000. For Department of Agriculture. Executed in much reduced form.
Refs: Drawings in OPW, old ref. I.3.6; IB 49, 18 May,1 Jun 1907, 358,377; 50, 27 Jun,8 Aug 1908, 406,[illus. in suppl.]; Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 35(illus.),36

Building: CO. CAVAN, CAVAN, TOWN HALL
Date: 1907-10
Nature: New, Norman style, stone-built, 3 storeys high. Opened 19 Jan 1910. Contractor: Wm O'Callaghan & Sons, Magheralin (£2,688).
Refs: IB 49, 14 Dec 1907, 861; 50, 25 Jan,26 Dec 1908, 53,789; 51, 11 Dec 1909, 790; 52, 5 Feb,9 Jul 1910, 85,(illus.in suppl. of July 9 issue); 53, 13 May 1911, 325; B 95, 28 Nov 1908, 597; Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 35,36(illus.);  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 252-253(illus.).


Building: CO. ROSCOMMON, MOORE, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1907;1918
Nature: New bell tower in form of ancient round tower, 75 ft high to springing of roof. Detached from church. Local limestone. Tenders invited for completion of same, Oct 1918.
Refs: B 93, 3 Aug 1907, 142(illus.); IB 60, 12 Oct 1918, 382

Building: CO. CORK, TIMOLEAGUE, CHURCH OF THE NATIVITY OF OUR LADY (RC)
Date: 1907a
Nature: Competition entry exh. RHA.
Refs: RHA 1907, 357; IB 49, 19 Oct 1907, 737(illus. in supplement); Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 36(illus.)

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, MILLBROOK (CLONES), HOUSES (005)
Date: 1908
Nature: Mr Felix Kierans, Glynch House, Newbliss, about to erect 5 new houses.
Refs: IB 50, 8 Aug 1908, 493

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, CLONES, BUSINESS PREMISES (MCHENRY & MAGUIRE)
Date: 1908
Nature: Extensive adds. about to be made.
Refs: IB 50, 8 Aug 1908, 493

Building: CO. WEXFORD, GOREY, BENEDICTINE COLLEGE (PROPOSED)
Date: 1908
Nature: Plans for proposed college.
Refs: IB 50, 27 Jun 1908, 410

Building: CO. CAVAN, KNOCKNINNY, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1908
Nature: Renovation. Contractor: F. Duffy, Park St, Monaghan (£1,000).
Refs: IB 50, 21 Mar 1908, 181

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, KNOCKNINNY, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1908
Nature: Renovation, including re-slating, new ceilings, seating, new altars and new stations of the Cross. Total cost over £1,000. Contractor: F. Duffy.
Refs: IB 50, 21 Mar 1908, 181

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, ENNISKILLEN, HIGH STREET, HOUSE
Date: 1908-09
Nature: Large new residence for Mr Charles McDonagh. Contractor: James McAdorey.
Refs: IB 50, 8 Aug 1908, 493; 51, 24 Jul 1909, 470

Building: CO. DONEGAL, BUNDORAN, CRUDDEN MALE ORPHANAGE
Date: 1908-09
Nature: New male orphanage. Estimated cost £3,595. Opened Dec. 1909 by Bishop of Clogher. £50,000 bequeathed by Miss Sarah Crudden for erecting male & female orphanages. Contractor: James Clarence, Ballysodare, Co. Sligo. Scott exhibits design for 'Gate lodge, Bundoran' (i.e for this building?) at RHA, 1912. (NB In description of opening ceremony in Freeman's Journal, 11 Dec 1900, only T.F. McNamara is mentioned - did McNamara in fact design both male and female orphanages?)
Refs: IB 50, 13,27 Jun 1908, 373,406; 51, 24 Jul,25 Dec 1909, 469,817; RHA 1912, no. 424; Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 35

Building: CO. GALWAY, SPIDDAL HOUSE
Date: 1908-09
Nature: Alts & extension, including open loggias and tower, for 2nd Baron Killanin. New entrance gateway and lodge, 1908. contractor: O'Flaherty & Son, Galway. (Burned down, May 1923.)
Refs: Drawings, 1908, in W.H. Byrne drawings collection; RHA 1909, nos. 291,298; IB 50, 27 Jun 1908, 405; 57, 24 Jul 1909, 469; 52, 6 Aug 1910, [illus. in suppl.]; Tuam Herald, 28 Oct 1922, 5 May 1923;  Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 36(illus.)

Building: CO. GALWAY, DRIMCONG (MOYCULLEN)
Date: 1908-09
Nature: Adds. & alts. (to house of Col. Kilkelly?) new gate lodge. For Col. Martin.(Not clear whether this is one house or two.)
Refs: IB 50, 27 Jun 1908, 406; 51, 6 Feb 1909, 65

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, IRVINESTOWN, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1908-1910
Nature: W.A.S. winner of limited competition for designing new church. Design 'a blend of Gothic and Early Irish'.. Tenders invited July 1908. In progress in Aug 1910. Foundation stone blessed 9 Oct 1910.  Contractor: J. McAdorey & Son, Dundalk.
Refs: RHA 1912, no. 312; IB 50, 25 Jul,8 Aug 1908, 465,493; 51, 17 Apr,24 Jul 1909, 241,469;  Freeman's Journal, 19 Aug 1910;  Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 321; Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 38.

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, MONEA, CHURCH OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION (RC)
Date: 1908-1911
Nature: New. FS laid 17 Oct 1909. Contractor: Joseph Flanagan (or Flannigan), Markethill.
Refs: Design exh. RHA 1918, no. 323; IB 50, 27 Jun,8 Aug 1908, 414,493; 51, 6 Mar,24 Jul,7 Aug,16 Oct 1909, 128,145,469,506(illus.),645,662; 53, 22 Jul 1911, 493;  Freeman's Journal, 19 Oc 1908;  Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 423; Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 38

Building: CO. LAOIS, ?, CASTLETOWN MONUMENT (PROPOSED)
Date: 1909
Nature: Memorial tower to 1st Lord Castletown 'intended for "the Crown of Ossory"' (Larmour). Not built.
Refs: Design for 'Memorial Tower' (this one?) exh. RHA 1912, no. 414; Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 36

Building: CO. GALWAY, DEERFIELD
Date: 1909
Nature: Alts. & adds. to farm buildings.
Refs: IB 51, 24 Jul 1909, 469

Building: CO. LEITRIM, BALLINAMORE, CHURCH (RC, OUGHTERAGH PARISH)
Date: 1909
Nature: Improvements.
Refs: IB 51, 18 Sep 1909, 598

Building: CO. CAVAN, CAVAN, ST JOSEPH'S CONVENT OF POOR CLARES
Date: 1909
Nature: WAS preparing plans for same. For Poor Clare Sisters.
Refs: IB 51, 24 Jul 1909, 565; Building Neww 97, 30 Jul 1909, 178

Building: CO. MEATH, DUNSHAUGHLIN, PAROCHIAL HOUSE
Date: 1909-10
Nature: New. For Rev. B. Guinan. Contractor: P. Hussey, Terenure.
Refs: IB 51, 24 Jul,27 Nov 1909, 469,755; 52, 24 Dec 1910, 791

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PARNELL SQUARE, NO. 042 (ST KEVIN'S HOUSE)
Date: 1909-10
Nature: Alts. & adds.to residence for Catholic girls. For Rev. J.P. Dowling. Contractor: J. & M. Clarke.
Refs: IB 51, 24 Jul 1909, 470; 52, 19 Mar,12 Nov 1910, 181,699

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, ENNISKILLEN, TECHNICAL SCHOOL
Date: 1909-1911
Nature: New technical school in altered and renovated old county gaol. Opened by Countess of Aberdeen 25 Oct 1911.
Refs: IB 51, 20 Feb 1909, 114; 53, 11 Nov 1911, 758

Building: CO. TYRONE, LOUGHRY (COOKSTOWN), ULSTER DAIRY SCHOOL
Date: 1910
Nature: New.
Refs: Detail drawings, Sep 1910, 3 labelled 'Ulster Diary School', 1 labelled 'Horticultural College, Cookstown' formerly (1976) in OPW drawings collection (now in NA?);   Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 36

Building: CO. MEATH, MOYNALVY, PAROCHIAL HOUSE
Date: 1910
Nature: Adds. & imps. Tenders invited, Jun 1910.
Refs: Freeman's Journal, 18 Jun 1910; IB 52, 25 Jun 1910, 414

Building: CO. CAVAN, CAVAN, ST JOSEPH'S INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL
Date: 1910
Nature: Addition.
Refs: IB 52, 6 Aug,3 Sep 1910, 504,545,559

Building: CO. GALWAY, GALWAY, MIDDLE STREET, PRO-CATHEDRAL OF ST NICHOLAS (RC)
Date: 1910
Nature: Proposals for new cathedral for Bishop Thomas O'Dea. FS laid, 1910. Scott exhibits 'Preliminary Sketch' at RHA 1919. (Unexecuted.)
Refs: RHA 1919, no. 338; IB 58, 26 Feb 1916, 85;  Tom May, Churches of Galway, Kilmacduagh and Kilfenora (Galway, 2000), 50.

Building: CO. GALWAY, GALWAY, MIDDLE STREET, PRO-CATHEDRAL OF ST NICHOLAS (RC)
Date: 1910
Nature: FS of cathedral and diocesan college laid 1910. To be Irish in character. 'Preliminary sketch' exh RHA, 1919. (Unexecuted.)
Refs: IB 52, 11 Jun 1910, 378; 53, 19 Aug 1911, 545; 54, 31 Aug 1912, ?; RHA 1919, no. 338; Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 38

Building: CO. CAVAN, CURLOUGH (BAWNBOY), CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1910
Nature: Extension of original T plan church by addition of chancel and vestry.  Tenders invited, 1910. Contractor: Francis Duffy, Monaghan
Refs: Freeman's Journal, 18 Jun 1910;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013),  179.

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, MONAGHAN, DISTRICT LUNATIC ASYLUM
Date: 1910-11
Nature: Tenders invited for carrying out repairs to Protestant chapel and internal work to laundry and engine room, 1910. Addition, 1911. For Monaghan & Cavan Asylum Board.
Refs: IB 52, 9 Jul,6 Aug 1910, 444,504; 53, 30 Sep 1911, 658

Building: CO. CAVAN, CORLOUGH (BAWNBOY), CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1910-11
Nature: Renovation and remodelling. Contractor: Francis Duffy, Park St, Monaghan.
Refs: IB 52, 25 Jun 1910, 414; 53, 5 Aug 1911, 526

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, KILLEVAN, CHURCH OF ST LAVINIUS (RC)
Date: 1910-11
Nature: Improvement and renovation, including new apsidal chancel, sacristy & heating chamber. Total cost: £1,000. Tenders invited Mar 1910. Contractor: Francis Duffy, Park St, Monaghan.
Refs: IB 52, 5,19 Mar,11 Jun 1910, 149,182,381; 53, 45 Aug 1911, 530;  Freeman's Journal, 14 Mar 1910;  B 98, 19 Mar 1910, 335; Building News 98, 17 Jun 1910, 830;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 371-2.


Building: CO. MONAGHAN, KILLEVAN, CHURCH OF ST LAVINIUS (RC)
Date: 1910-11
Nature: Improvement and renovation, including new apsidal chancel, sacristy & heating chamber. Total cost: £1,000. Tenders invited Mar 1910. Contractor: Francis Duffy, Park St, Monaghan.
Refs: IB 52, 5,19 Mar,11 Jun 1910, 149,182,381; 53, 45 Aug 1911, 530;  Freeman's Journal, 14 Mar 1910;  B 98, 19 Mar 1910, 335; Building News 98, 17 Jun 1910, 830;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 371-2.


Building: CO. DONEGAL, LOUGH DERG, ST PATRICK'S PURGATORY, WOMEN'S HOSTEL
Date: 1910-12
Nature: New hostel for women pilgrims. Reinforced concrete construction. FS laid early 1911. Contractor: W. Conolly & Son, Dublin. To cost £8,000.
Refs: IB 52, 19 Mar,11 Jun,12 Nov 1910, 181,378,686; 53, 18 Mar,1 Apr 1911, 177,209; 54, 3 Feb,6 Jul 1912, 81,396; 59, 15 Sep 1917, 477(illus.)  Freeman's Journal, 21 Mar 1911;  Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 403; Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 36,37(illus.);  Paul Larmour, Free State Architecture:  Modern Movement architecture in Ireland, 1922-1949 (Kinsale: Gandon Editions, 2009), 10(illus.), 10(illus.),19.


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PARNELL SQUARE, NO. 041 (IRISH NATIONAL FORESTERS' HALL)
Date: 1910-12
Nature: New hall, 97 x 30 ft with stage, also store rooms, lavatories and small assembly room. Tenders invited Mar,Apr 1911. Contractor: John Dillon, Drumcondra (£1,500).
Refs: IB 52, 19 Mar 1910, 181; 53, 1 Apr 1911, 210; 54, 20 Jan 1912, 51;  Freeman's Journal, 21 Mar 1911; IA & C 1, 25 May 1911, ?;

Building: CO. GALWAY, GALWAY, ST MARY'S ROAD, ST MARY'S DIOCESAN COLLEGE
Date: 1910-12;1913-1915
Nature: New Neo Georgian building, for Dr O'Dea, Bishop of Galway. FS laid 26 May 1910. Tenders invited Jun 1910. Building started Sep 1910. Main building opened 25 Aug 1912. Granite from Shantalla and Bealagh quarries on River Corrib. Contractor: James Wynne, Dundalk (£16,117). Clerk of Works: Allen McDonald, Galway. Recreation hall and college library, 1913-15. Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes, 1915.
Refs: Original drawings by WAS in IAA, W.H. Byrne & Son drawings collection, Acc.2006/142; RHA 1912, no. 316; IB 52, 19 Mar,11 Jun,1 Oct 1910, 165,378,382,616; 53, 19 Aug 1911, 545; 54, 3 Feb,31 Aug, 28 Sep,12 Oct 1912, 81,497,499,550,552-3(illus., also illus in supplement),579(illys.); 55, 29 Mar 1913, 206;  Freeman's Journal, 8,11,18 Jun 1910;   B 96, 18 Jun 1910, 708; 103, 1 Nov 1912, 506(illus.); 104, 28 Mar 1913, 391; Building News 103, 6 Sep 1912, 347;  Tuam Herald, 4 Nov 1922;   The Mantle Vol. 2, no. 2, (1959); Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 36,37(illus.)

Building: CO. KILKENNY, TALBOT'S INCH (KILKENNY), AUT EVEN
Date: 1910a
Nature: 'Manager's House' lived in by Lady Desart.
Refs: IB 49, 30 Nov 1907,[illus. in supplement]; Nicola Gordon Bowe, '"The wild heath has broken out again in the heather field': Philanthropic endeavour and Arts and Crafts achievement in early 20th-century Kilkenny, Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies II (1999), 83-85(illus.); Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 34(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, WESTLAND ROW, ST ANDREW'S CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1910a
Nature: Redecoration of interior, with William Nairne, Denzille St, executed by Clarke, N Frederick St, with gilding by Egan, Lr Ormond Quay.  Heads of apostles in transept panels by Francis O'Donohoe. 16 saints on nave wall by Miss O'Farrell, Bray. 'The most artistic ornamental work behind the altars...carried out in fibrous plaster by Mr Ryan'.
Refs: Freeman's Journal, 1 Dec 1910;   IB 52, 10 Dec 1910, 752

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, BANNAGH (KESH), CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1911
Nature: Alts. & adds. for Rev. P. Fitzpatrick, PP. Tenders invited.
Refs: IB 53, 1 Apr 1911, 210; IA & C 1, 1 Apr 1911, 130

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, MONTIAGHROE (KESH), CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1911
Nature: Alts. & adds. for Rev. P. Fitzpatrick, PP. Tenders invited.
Refs: IB 53, 1 Apr 1911, 210; IA & C 1, 1 Apr 1911, 130

Building: CO. GALWAY, ARDRAHAN, HALL
Date: 1911
Nature: New hall, 78 x 34 ft, faced with limestone, has been erected. Built at sole cost of Edward Martyn, Tullyra Castle. Contractor: William Emerson, Dominick St, Galway. (Burned by Black & Tans.)
Refs: IA & C 1, 20 May 1911, 228; IB 56, 29 Aug 1914, 518; 57, 10 Apr 1915, 173; Building News 107, 11 Sep 1914, 333; Tuam Herald, 4 Nov 1922.

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, CLONTIBRET, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1911
Nature: Scheme of improvement and renovation. Contractor: Francis Duffy, Park St, Monaghan.
Refs: IB 53, 2 Sep,11 Nov 1911, 597,757

Building: CO. TYRONE, FIVEMILETOWN, PAROCHIAL HOUSE
Date: 1911-13
Nature: New parochial house near Ballyvadden church. For Rev. Patrick Kelly, PP. Tenders invited Feb 1912. Completed Feb 1913. Contractor: James McGrath, Omagh.
Refs: Design exh. RHA, 1916, no. 351; IB 53, 28 Oct 1911, 725; 54, 17 Feb 1912, 112; 55, 1 Feb,2 Aug 1913, 84,502

Building: CO. SLIGO, LISSADELL, HOUSE
Date: 1912
Nature: Design exh. RHA.
Refs: RHA 1912, no. 317

Building: CO. DOWN, NEWRY, TOWN HALL & MUNICIPAL OFFICES
Date: 1912
Nature: Extension. Architect: C. Blaney, Town Surveyor. WAS consulting archt
Refs: IB 54, 17 Feb,21 Dec 1912, 110,728; Building News 103, 29 Nov 1912, 774

Building: CO. GALWAY, RYEHILL (ATHENRY), COUNTY SANATORIUM
Date: 1912
Nature: Tenders of McNally, Tuam (£5,673) accepted, 1916..
Refs: IB 54, 7,21 Dec 1912, 700,708,713; 56, 28 Mar,29 Aug 1914, 181,508; 57, 20 Nov, 1915, 497,507; 58, 26 Feb1916, 86; Building News 109, 24 Nov 1915, 605

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PARNELL STREET, NO. 144 (JOHN KELLY)
Date: 1912
Nature: Reconstruction and parital rebuilding of licensed premises, for John Kelly, proprietor. Contractor: P. Hanway, 11 Great George's St.
Refs: IB 54, 12 Oct 1912, 587

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, MULEEK (BELLEEK), CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL (RC)
Date: 1912-13
Nature: New church, for Rev. C. McMeel, PP. Dedicated July? 1913 by Cardinal Logue. Contractor: John Reed (or Reid?), Enniskillen.
Refs: IB 54, 13 Apr 1912, 227; 55, 19 Jul 1913, 475; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 144

Building: CO. OFFALY, EDENDERRY, CONVENT OF ST JOHN OF GOD
Date: 1912-14
Nature: Anthony & W.A. Scott winners of limited competition for design of new parish church and convent. With W.A. Scott. Romanesque. FS laid 21 May 1914 by Bishop of Kildare & Leighlin. Contractor: William Connolly, Upper Dominick St. (or J. Coffey, Midleton, Co. Cork?)

Refs: Building News 103, 20 Nov 1912, 759; IB 54, 23 Nov 1912, 657; 55, 10 May 1913, 320; 55, 5 Jul 1913, 429; 56, 6 Jun,10 Oct 1914, 341,578; 59, 31 Mar 1917, 149;  Freeman's Journal, 19,26 May 1914.

Building: CO. OFFALY, EDENDERRY, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1912-18
Nature: W.A.Scott and his father winners of limited competition for design of new parish church and convent. Romanesque Revival. First sod turned 1913. For Rev. Paul Murphy, PP. FS laid early summer 1914 by Bishop of Kildare & Leighlin. Rapidly nearing completion in Mar 1918. Opened Jun 1919. Consecrated: 1932.Contractor: William Connolly, Upper Dominick St. and, from 1918, Jeremiah Coffey, Midleton, Co. Cork.
Refs: Building News 103, 20 Nov 1912, 759; IB 54, 23 Nov 1912, 657; 55, 10 May 1913, 320; 55, 5 Jul 1913, 429; 56, 6 Jun,10 Oct 1914, 341,578; 59, 31 Mar 1917, 149; 60, 30 Mar 1918, 161;  Freeman's Journal, 19,22,26 May 1914;  Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 38;  John McEvoy, ed., The Churches of Kildare and Leighlin 2000 AD (Strasbourg: Editions du Signe, 2000), 88-89(illus.).

Building: CO. TYRONE, FIVEMILETOWN, HOUSE
Date: 1912a
Nature: Design for house (parochial house?) exh. RHA 1912.
Refs: RHA 1912, no. 425

Building: CO. MEATH, CASTLETOWN KILPATRICK, PAROCHIAL HOUSE
Date: 1913
Nature: Tenders invited for carrying out adds. & imps. for Rev. John Corcoran, PP.
Refs: Freeman's Journal, 21,22,27 Nov 1913;   IB 55, 22 Nov 1913, 752;  B 109, 28 Nov 1013, 595

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, ENNISKILLEN, BELMORE STREET, CONVENT OF MERCY INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL
Date: 1913
Nature: New intermediate school with 'towering step-form belfry' (Larmour).
Refs: IB 55, 27 Sep 1913, 624; Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 36

Building: CO. CAVAN, CORLOUGH, PAROCHIAL HOUSE
Date: 1913
Nature: ?New (or alts. to old?) parochial house. Contracter: Francis Duffy, Park St, Monaghan.
Refs: Design exh. RHA 1917, no. 275; IB 55, 1 Mar 1913, 147

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MERRION ROAD (BALLSBRIDGE), ROYAL DUBLIN SOCIETY
Date: 1913
Nature: WAS designs Ovada Bazaar in which space is 'laid out architecturally as a reproduction of the the town of Ovada in Italy'. Was this in RDS Hall?
Refs: IB 55, 7 Jun 1913, 365

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, LORD EDWARD STREET, NO. 021-25 (MUNICIPAL BUILDINGS) (PROPOSED)
Date: 1913
Nature: Competition entrant. Submitted design 'bold tetrastyle portico, the column bases being placed at first floor level'.
Refs: IB 55, 12 Apr 1913, 259

Building: CO. MEATH, KELLS, KENLIS PLACE, PAROCHIAL HALL
Date: 1913-14
Nature: New hall and billiard room on site of Christian Brothers' residence. Erected in two stages. Billiard room opened Feb 1914. Hall opened Dec 1914. Placed in charge of St Vincent de Paul Society. Contractor: Patrick Smith (£690).
Refs: IB 54, 17 Aug 1912, 476; 55, 18 Jan 1913, 52; 56, 23 May,10 Oct 1914, 328,569; Rev. J. Brady, Short history of the parishes of the diocese of Meath 1867-1944, 138

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, MONAGHAN, CATHEDRAL OF ST MACARTAN (RC)
Date: 1913-1916
Nature: Repairs, interior improvements. New altar furniture designed by WAS and executed by J. Kane, Middle Abbey St, Dublin. Also brass gates to altar rails (design exh. RHA 1919). Carpets, executed by Dun Emer Guild, 1913.
Refs: IB 55, 6 Dec 1913, 776; 58, 16 Sep 1916, 452; Irish Independent, 17 Dec 1913;  RHA 1919, no. 345; Paul Larmour, The Arts and Crafts Movement in Ireland (1992), 160; Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 38

Building: CO. CAVAN, COOTEHILL, WORKHOUSE
Date: 1914
Nature: Auxiliary asylum.
Refs: IB 56, 27 Jan 1914, 48

Building: CO. GALWAY, GALWAY, DISPENSARY
Date: 1914
Nature: New tuberculosis dispensary for Galway County Council. Tenders invited, Jul-Aug 1914.
Refs: Freeman's Journal, 21,22 Jul 1914;  IB 56, 1 Aug 1914, 475

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GLASNEVIN, PROSPECT CEMETERY, CADIC MEMORIAL
Date: 1914
Nature: With Michael Shortall.
Refs: RHA 1915, no. 476; Nicola Gordon Bowe & Elizabeth Cumming, The Arts and Crafts Movements in Dublin & Edinburgh 1885-1925 (1998), 191; Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 39

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GLOUCESTER STREET LOWER, NO. 100
Date: 1914
Nature: Premises at 100 Gloucester St Lr and 105 Gardiner St (John Delahunt?). Contractor: Lidwill & Co., North Great George's St.
Refs: IB 56, 6 Jun 1914, 360

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PARNELL STREET, NO. 092
Date: 1914
Nature: Alts.
Refs: IB 56, 14 Feb 1914, 103

Building: CO. DUBLIN, SKERRIES, DUBLIN ROAD, NATIONAL SCHOOLS
Date: 1914-1915
Nature: New.
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, MS p1/2

Building: CO. CLARE, LISDOONVARNA, BATHS
Date: 1915;1928
Nature: New pump house with baths & treatment rooms. For Trustees of Lisdoonvarna Spa Wells. Not built until 1928?
Refs: IB 57, 18 Dec 1915, ?; 70, 18 Aug 1928, 724; Building News 110, 8 Mar 1916, 252

Building: CO. GALWAY, LABAN (ARDRAHAN), CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1915a
Nature: Baldacchino over high altar. Commissioned by Edward Martyn.
Refs: Design exh. RHA 1916, no. 355; IB 57, 8 May 1915, 228; Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 38

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, RAHENY, BELCAMP, HOUSES
Date: 1915a
Nature: Design for 'Cottages at Belcamp, Raheny' exh. RHA.
Refs: RHA 1915, no. 475

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, ENNISKILLEN, CENTRAL DISPENSARY (PROPOSED)
Date: 1916
Nature: Prof. Scott to prepare plans.
Refs: IB 58, 11 Mar 1916, 122

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, BROOMFIELD (DONAGHMOYNE), PAROCHIAL HOUSE
Date: 1916
Nature: Renovation.
Refs: IB 58, 24 Jun 1916, 284

Building: CO. GALWAY, KILTARTAN, CHURCH OF ST ATTRACTA (RC)
Date: 1916
Nature: Re-roofing, new chancel, sacristy and flooring designed by 'Professor Scott' for Rev. Martin Fahy. Contractor: Mitchell, Gort.
Refs: Tom May, Churches of Galway, Kilmacduagh and Kilfenora (Galway, 2000), 104. 

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, ARDAGHEY, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1916;1918
Nature: Repairs & renovation.
Refs: IB 58, 22 Apr,2 Sep 1916, 187,427; 60, 19 Oct 1918, 424

Building: CO. GALWAY, BOHERMORE, MORRIS MEMORIAL CROSS(ES)
Date: 1916;1920
Nature: Memorial cross to Sir George Morris, 1916, and one to Lady Morris (is this also at Bohermore?).
Refs: RHA 1916, no. 356, and 1920, no. 310; Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 39

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, COLLEGE ROAD, UNIVERSITY COLLEGE, HONAN CHAPEL
Date: 1916ca
Nature: Wrought iron gates to main entrance and altar and sanctuary furniture. Designs exh. RHA. Gates executed by J. & C. McGloughlin. (Also door hinges?)
Refs: IB 58, 11 Nov 1916, 559,567 (illus. of gates); RHA 1918, nos. 331,337; Sir John Robert O'Connell, The Honan hostel chapel, Cork; some notes on the building and the ideals which inspired it(1916), 63; Nicola Gordon Bowe & Elizabeth Cumming, The Arts and Crafts Movements in Dublin & Edinburgh 1885-1925 (1998), 189-90illus.); Jeanne Sheehy, The Rediscovery of Ireland's Past: the Celtic Revival 1830-1930 (1980), 142(illus.) Paul Larmour, The Arts and Crafts Movement in Ireland (1992), 134,135(illus.),136(illus.); Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 38; Paul Larmour, 'The Honan Chapel, Cork', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 5 (2002), 22-47(illus.)

Building: CO. GALWAY, LABAN (ARDRAHAN), HALL
Date: 1917
Nature: Design for new hall exh. RHA.
Refs: RHA 1917, no. 276

Building: CO. TYRONE, LOUGHMACRORY (CARRICKMORE), CHURCH OF ST TERESA (RC)
Date: 1917
Nature: Improvements. Contractor: Francis Duffy, Park St, Monaghan.
Refs: IB 59, 7 Jul,18 Aug 1917, 347,420; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 167-8

Building: CO. GALWAY, THOOR BALLYLEE (YEATS'S TOWER)
Date: 1917-1924
Nature: Restoration and furniture, for W.B. Yeats.
Refs: Model of table and typescript report on same in IAA, Acc. 95/47; Mary Hanley & Liam Miller, Thoor Ballylee home of William Butler Yeats (2nd revised edition, 1977); Jeanne Sheehy, The Rediscovery of Ireland's Past: the Celtic Revival 1830-1930 (1980), 139,141(illus.); Nicola Gordon Bowe & Elizabeth Cumming, The Arts and Crafts Movements in Dublin & Edinburgh 1885-1925 (1998), 191; Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 38(illus.), 39

Building: CO. LEITRIM, MANORHAMILTON, HOUSE
Date: 1917a
Nature: Design for 'new residence' exh. RHA.
Refs: RHA 1917, no. 283

Building: CO. MEATH, KELLS (NEAR), ST KIERAN'S WELL
Date: 1918
Nature: Shrine in form of early Irish oratory.
Refs: Design exh. RHA, 1918, no. 332; Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 38(illus.),39

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BEAUMONT ROAD (DRUMCONDRA), THORNDALE VETERINARY RESEARCH STATION
Date: 1918-19
Nature: New research station for Dept of Agriculture & Technical Instruction. Contractor: H.C. McNally & Co., East Wall. Will cost £9,000. Completed by R.M. Butler. Demolished.
Refs: Drawings, dated 1918 and 1921, in OPW MSS, National Archives, Dublin; RHA 1919, no. 343; IB 60, 12 Oct 1918, 382; 61, 8 Nov 1919, 507; Building News 117, 14 Nov 1919, 396; Nicola Gordon Bowe & Elizabeth Cumming, The Arts and Crafts Movements in Dublin & Edinburgh 1885-1925 (1998), 190; Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 39

Building: CO. GALWAY, ATHENRY, HOUSE
Date: 1918a
Nature: Design for new house.
Refs: RHA 1918, no. 326

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, MULLINGAR, KNOCKNAGREENA HOUSE
Date: 1919
Nature: Extensive adds. & alts.completed for P. Hanway, North Great George's Street, Dublin.
Refs: IB 61, 8 Nov 1919, 507

Building: CO. CLARE, LISCANNOR, CHURCH OF ST BRIGID (RC)
Date: 1919
Nature: Tenders invited for erection of new baptistry and belfry in form of round tower. (Unexecuted?)
Refs: IB 61, 13 Sep 1919, 394.

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, KILLEVAN, CHURCH OF ST LAVINIUS (RC)
Date: 1919
Nature: Concrete bell tower.
Refs: IB 61, 8 Nov 1919, 507

Building: CO. DONEGAL, LOUGH DERG, ST PATRICK'S PURGATORY, CARETAKER'S HOUSE
Date: 1919
Nature: Tenders sought.
Refs: IB 61, 8 Nov 1919, 507

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, ANNYALLA, CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL (RC)
Date: 1919-1923
Nature: New church in Early Gothic style on site immediately adjoining old church of St Michael. For Dr Patrick McKenna, Bishop of Clogher. Tenders invited 6 Mar 1920.  Foundation stone laid 6 May 1923 by Cardinal Logue. when work well advanced under supervision of R.M. Butler. Contractor: John McGuinness, Dundalk.
Refs: Designs exh. RHA 1919, no. 339, and 1920, no. 319; Freeman's Journal, 6 Mar,10 Apr 1020;  IB 62, 13 Mar,17 Apr 1920, 160,270; 65, 19 May,14 Jul 1923, 380,533(illus.); Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 39;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 241-2.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, TERENURE, UNIVERSITY PARK, SPORTS PAVILION
Date: 1919a
Nature: Design exh. RHA.
Refs: RHA 1919, no. 337

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, ENNISKILLEN, HOUSING SCHEME
Date: 1920
Nature: WAS consulting architect.
Refs: IB 62, 3 Jan 1920, 17

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, BALLYBAY, CURATE'S HOUSE
Date: 1920
Nature: Tenders invited for erection of same.
Refs: IB 62, 17 Jan 1920, 47

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, LEITRIM (TYHOLLAND), CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: 1920
Nature: Extensive improvements and additions, including bellcote tower on W front.
Refs: IB 62, 13 Mar,11 Sep 1920, 163,592;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 562.


Building: CO. DONEGAL, LOUGH DERG, ST PATRICK'S PURGATORY, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1920-1931
Nature: Designed by Scott and carried out by T.J. Cullen after Scott's death. Tenders invited for building foundations (partly in lake) May 1924. Dedicated May 1931. Cost: £80,000.
Refs: Drawings, 1920, in IAA, Acc. 2000/40; RHA 1920, no. 313 (also 1921?); IB 66, 3 May 1924, 401; 73, 23 May 1931, 456; B 126, 9 May 1924, 770; Capuchin Annual 14 (1943), 113(illus.); Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 407; Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 39

Building: BELGIUM, YPRES, ST MARTIN'S CATHEDRAL (RC)
Date: 1920a
Nature: Rebuilding proposal?
Refs: Drawing, 'St Martin's Cathedral, Ypres', exh. RHA 1920, no. 314

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, ENNISKILLEN, WELLINGTON PLACE, CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL (RC)
Date: 1921
Nature: New marble pulpit being erected. Executed by Smyth, Brunswick St, Dublin. Now removed.
Refs: IB 63, 5 Nov 1921, 722; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 278; Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 39

Building: CO. DONEGAL, LOUGH DERG, ST PATRICK'S PURGATORY, MEN'S HOSTEL
Date: ?
Nature: Designs for same.
Refs: Drawings in IAA, Acc. 2000/40

Building: CO. KILKENNY, SHEESTOWN, DAIRY
Date: ?
Nature: Model dairy (and model village?) for Hon. Otway Cuffe.
Refs: Jeanne Sheehy, The Rediscovery of Ireland's Past: the Celtic Revival 1830-1930 (1980), 139; Nicola Gordon Bowe & Elizabeth Cumming, The Arts and Crafts Movements in Dublin & Edinburgh 1885-1925 (1998), 191

Building: CO. CAVAN, BALLYHAISE HOUSE AGRICULTURAL SCHOOL
Date: ?
Nature: Manager's house. Art nouveau/Queen Anne style.
Refs: Undated drawing(s) in NA, OPW drawings collection

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, CLONES, POUND HILL, HOUSES
Date: ?
Nature: Terrace of houses.
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 277.


Author Title Date Details
Larmour, Paul '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A Scott 1871-1921' 2000 Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 28-41.
Scott, William Alphonsus 'The Round Towers of Ireland' 1899 IB 41, 1 Dec 1899, 201. (Paper read to IAA, 21 Nov 1899.)
Scott, William Alphonsus 'Belfast Assembly Hall Competition' 1901 IB 43, 1 Jan 1901, 591. (Letter to editor.)
Scott, William Alphonsus 'Celtic Romanesque Work in Ireland' 1908 IB 50, 28 Nov 1908, 722, and Building News 95, 4 Dec 1908, 791-793. (Paper read to AAI, 27 Oct 1908.)
Scott, William Alphonsus 'Grecian Architecture' 1912 IB 54, 12 Oct,9 Nov 1912, 576,632. (Paper read to Society of Architects.)
Scott, William Alphonsus 'A university school of architecture in Ireland' 1912 Studies 1 (1912), 621
Scott, William Alphonsus [President's inaugural address to AAI] 1913 IB 55, 8 Nov 1913, 696, and AAI Green Book (1915), 15-29.
Scott, William Alphonsus 'Dungory Castle, Kinvara, Galway' 1914 JRIAI 44 (1914), 144. (Measured drawings.)
Scott, William Alphonsus 'Reconstruction of O'Connell Street' 1916 Studies 5 (1916), 167 (illus.).
Scott, William Alphonsus 'Reconstruction of O'Connell Street, Dublin; as Sketch and a Note' 1916 Studies 5 (1916), 165
Scott, William Alphonsus, & Mckenna, J.e. 'The Franciscan Friary of Creevelea in the Barony of Breffney, Co. Leitrim' 1899 Ulster Journal [of Archaeology?] 5 (1899), ?