Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Navan, Drogheda and Dublin. Anthony Scott was born in Easkey, Co. Sligo probably circa 1844.(1) He attended the Royal Dublin Society's School of Art, winning at least one silver medal and gaining a Second Grade Certificate of the Science and Art Department in freehand drawing, practical geometry, linear perspective and model drawing on 6 May 1870.(2) According to his obituary in the Irish Builder, he 'subsequently had a wide and varied experience of building work in all its branches in many parts of Ireland' before entering the service of the Board of Works; however it seems more probable that such experience would have been gained in the Board's service. After THOMAS NEWENHAM DEANE  THOMAS NEWENHAM DEANE had been appointed the Board's Superintendent of National Monuments in 1875, Scott became his clerk of works, thus acquiring a practical knowledge of ancient Irish architecture; according to Byrne Costigan, he was the first person to 'cap' an Irish round tower.(3) He described the excavations at the round tower of Kilmacduagh in a letter to the Irish Builder of 28 December 1878.(4) By the end of 1888 he had established a private practice at Navan, Co. Meath,(5) and in 1892 or 1893 he purchased the practice of PATRICK JOSEPH DODD  PATRICK JOSEPH DODD of Drogheda, where he opened a second office with his eldest son WILLIAM ALPHONSUS SCOTT  WILLIAM ALPHONSUS SCOTT under the name of ANTHONY SCOTT & ANTHONY SCOTT & amp; SON.(6) The Navan office appears to have have been given up at some point before 1902, when Scott transferred the practice from Drogheda to Dublin. A notice in the Irish Builder in December 1902 announcing the move,(7) names the firm as 'Anthony Scott & Sons', which, if correct, suggests that ANTHONY COLMAN SCOTT  ANTHONY COLMAN SCOTT was by then also working with his father. In fact William Scott, who had been in London for three years, remained in his father's office only very briefly after his return,(8) so that the name of the practice reverted again to Anthony Scott & Son.

Scott's busy practice was largely devoted to work for the Catholic church and to improved housing schemes. According to his obituary in the Irish Builder, he 'probably designed and superintended the building of far more houses for the working classes than any other architect in Ireland'. He was architect for a labourers' cottage scheme for South Dublin Rural District Council in 1900.(8) In 1906 he was elected architect and engineer to Balrothery RDC at a salary of £100 per annum(9) and thus became responsible for the £35,550 housing scheme initiated in the autumn of that year.(10) He was reappointed to the post for a further five years in 1911.(11) He was also architect for labourers' housing in Dunshaughlin(12) and Navan Rural Districts and worked for the local authorities in Kells and Drogheda.(13) As a member of Pembroke Urban District Council he was active in promoting improved housing schemes in the area for which it was responsible. He was also a member of the council of the Dublin Town Tenants' Association. In 1905 he succeeded Deane as architect to Board of Governors of Sligo and Leitrim Asylum.(14)

His obituarist in the Irish Builder cites Scott's 'extraordinary love of work' as one of his main characteristics. He was also active on behalf of his profession. He was an early member of the Society of Architects and in 1901 was appointed the Society's Honorary Secretary for Ireland.(15) 'It was an illustration of his wonderful vitality and energy that…even when fairly advanced in years, he seldom or never missed a Council meeting, travelling regularly every month, year after year, to London, often in the depth of severe winter weather, in time snatched from the over-work of an exceptionally busy practice. Many a time he journeyed all night to London, attended the Council meeting, returned to Ireland, travelling all the following night, and resumed work as usual in his office, or immediately undertook a long and fatiguing journey to some remote part of the country to inspect work in progress.' He was also a founder member of the Architectural Association of Ireland when it was revived in 1896. In 1899 Scott, RUDOLF MAXIMILIAN BUTLER  RUDOLF MAXIMILIAN BUTLER and Herbert Curtis bought the Irish Builder from the editor and proprietor, Peter Roe, hoping to develop it into 'a modern technical journal, fully representative of the interests of the architectural and engineering professions and the building trade in Ireland'; however the three men sold their interest to J.T. Rae the following year.(16)

Byrne Costigan remembered her grandfather - a widower by the time she knew him - as an austere and rather distant figure, who corrected his grandchildren's grammar and pronunciation and sometimes told them stories from Irish history. 'Never a jolly, joking sort of man, it seemed to me that he wore solitude like a cloak, that his face was shuttered and remote, though the shutters could fly open, the eyes flash, the rare smile gleam.'(17) She once peeped into his bedroom 'and saw his prie-dieu, shelf of holy books, several stautes such as you saw in church, a large crucifix , and a stuffed squirrel in a glass case'.(18) Her mother much later confided in her that she thought he had brought up his sons too strictly. He was a frequent visitor to Rome, where a connection of his wife's owned and ran the Pensione Hayden in the Piazza Poli, assisted by one of his daughters.(19) Nationalist in his sympathies, he does not appear to have been actively involved in politics, although he is recorded as designing the platforms for the Home Rule demonstration of the spring of 1912.(20)

Scott died on 17 February 1919, aged seventy-four,(21) not long after he had gone to live in Rathgar with his eldest daughter, May, who was married to his former pupil THOMAS JOSEPH BYRNE THOMAS JOSEPH BYRNE . He left an estate of £5,879, which included six houses in Navan, his house in Dartmouth Square, and property in Donnybrook.(22) He was buried in Glasnevin Cemetery with his wife, Catherine Mary, née Hayes (c.1850-1904).(23) He was survived by four sons and four daughters. His practice appears to have come to an end with his death. Besides his sons William and Anthony Scott, and his future sons-in-law T.J. Byrne and ARTHUR EDWARD WILLIAMS ARTHUR EDWARD WILLIAMS , Scott's pupils and assistants included THOMAS WALSH. THOMAS WALSH.

AAI: founder member of revived association, 1896; arranges first annual excursion, 1897; delivers lecture on Mellifont Abbey, 1898;(24) delivers lecture on 'Round Towers of Ireland', 21 November 1899.(25)
Society of Architects: member by 1896;(26) appointed honorary corresponding secretary for Ireland, 1901;(27) speaks at meeting, 19 May 1905;(28) re-elected member of council, 1911.(29)
RSAI: elected member, 16 July 1894, having been proposed by ROBERT COCHRANE ROBERT COCHRANE ;(30) elected fellow, 2 May 1911.(31)

Addresses: Work: Navan, Co. Meath, 1888;(32)  Ludlow Street, Naven, 1890;(33) 16 William Street, Drogheda, 1894(34)-1902;(35) 34 Sackville Street Lower, 1902-1908;(36) 49 Sackville St Upr, 1908(37) until death.
Home:(38) Paradise House, Drogheda;(39) 55 Leeson Street Upper, 1907; 50 Dartmouth Square, 1915; 1 Victoria Terrace, Rathgar, 1918 until death.

See WORKS, BIBLIOGRAPHY. BIBLIOGRAPHY.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the obituary of Scott in IB 61, 26 Feb 1919, 95 (reproduced in Journal of the Society of Architects, see IB 61, 22 Mar 1919, 140, and summarized in Building News 116, 26 Feb 1919, 133). A delightful account of the family life of the Scotts and Byrnes during her childhood is given by Anthony Scott's granddaughter Ethna Byrne Costigan [Ethna Bee Cee] in Ethna Mary Twice (1989). Photographs of Scott appear in IB 43, 30 Jan 1901, 606 and IB 53, 15 Apr 1911, 231; he appears in family snapshots in Byrne Costigan, op. cit., 80,94. Three portrait photographs of Scott as an elderly man and a postcard showing him standing beside the Fontenoy memorial are in IAA (Acc. 87/110, filed under Personal Miscellanea).

(1) In his return for the 1911 Census, which was taken on 2 Apr 1911, Scott gives his age as 67, indicating a birth year of 1843 or 1844; however both his memorial in Glasnevin Cemetery and his obituary in the Irish Builder state that he was 74 at the time of his death on 17 Feb 1919,indicating a birth year of 1845 or 1846, while Byrne Costigan gives his date of birth as 1847.
(2) According to Byrne Costigan, loc. cit., he won four medals; curiously he is not listed among the Dublin Society's students and award winners. His certificate is in IAA, Acc. 87/121.
(3) Byrne Costigan, loc. cit.
(4) IB 21, 1 Juan 1879, 14.
(5) See IB 31, 1 Jan 1889, 15.
(6) See IB 36, 15 Feb 1894, 47.
(7) IB 44, 18 Dec 1902, 1515.
(8) According to Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 31, William Scott returned to Ireland in June 1902 'following an offer of partnership in his father's office'.
(8)   Irish Times, 21 Dec 1899;   IB 42, 1 Feb,1,15 Mar,15 Aug,1 Sep 1900, 261,293,309,452,467; photographs of his houses are in IB 52, 20 Aug 1910.
(9) IB 48, 10 Feb 1906, 120; Building News 90, 23 Feb 1906, 296.
(10) IB 48, 8 Sep,20 Oct 1906, 730,848; 49, 26 Jan 1907, 60. Further references to labourers' housing in the district are in IB 49, 12 Jan 1907, 5; 50, 22 Feb,2 May,31 Oct,28 Nov 1908, 117,266,653,671,739; 53, 10 Jun 1911, 397; Building News 107, 18 Sep 1914, 365.
(11) Freeman's Journal, 24 Mar 1911;  IB 53, 1 Apr 1911, 221.
(12) IB 49, 12 Jan 1907, 5; 51, 20 Mar 1909, 177.
(13) IB 49, 21 Sep 1907, 646.
(14) IB 47, 2 Dec 1905, 845; in 1904 he had acted as arbitrator in a dispute between the Council of Management and a contractor, John Clarence, see IB 46, 12 Mar 1904, 138.
(15) IB 43, 16 Jan,24 Apr 1901, 597,702.
(16) IB Jubilee Number (1909), 6.
(17) Byrne Costigan, p.77.
(18) Byrne Costigan, p. 49.
(19) One of these visits is noted in IB 49, 16 Nov 1907, 805.  He designed a chilice with Irish motifs which was presented to Pius X on the occasion of his episcopal jubilee (Freeman's Journal, 5 Feb 1910).
(20) IB 54, 13 Apr 1912, 216.
(21) See note 1, above.
(21) IB 62, 3 Jan 1920, 16.
(23) The burial of this 'kindly and highly respected lady'is reported in IB 46, 30 Jan 1904, 46.
(24) IB 40, 1 Feb 1898, 20.
(25) IB 41, 1 Dec 1899, 201.
(26) Directory of British Architects 1834-1900 (RIBA, 1993), 809.
(27) IB 43, 16 Jan,24 Apr 1901, 597,702.
(28) IB 47, 3 Jun 1905, 365.
(29) IB 53, 11 Nov 1911, 741.
(30) JRSAI 24 (1894), 278.
(31) JRSAI 41 (1911), 197.
(32) IB 31, 1 Jan 1889, 15.
(33) Irish Times, 27 Dec 1890.
(34) See note 30, above.
(35) IB 44, 27 Feb 1902, 1060.
(36) IB 50, 7 Mar 1908, 133.
(37) IB 50, 22 Aug 1908, 528.
(38) From Thom's and Post Office directories unless otherwise attributed.
(39) Byrne Costigan, 200.


104 work entries listed in chronological order for SCOTT, ANTHONY


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. GALWAY, GORT, ROUND TOWER
Date: 1878-79
Nature: Round tower restored by AS.
Refs: R.S. Riat, The Story of an Irish Property[Lough Cutra], citing Builder 38, 3 Jan 1879, 28-34

Building: CO. MEATH, TRIM, DUBLIN ROAD, COUNTY GAOL (NEW)
Date: 1889
Nature: Conversion of same into school for pauper children.. Tenders invited Dec 1888. Tender of Francis Gogarty, Drogheda, accepted
Refs: Architect 40. 7 Dec 1888, suppl. p.1, & 28 Dec 1888, suppl. p.5; IB 31, 1 Jan 1889, 15

Building: CO. LEITRIM, DROMAHAIR, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: 1889-90
Nature: New church. FS laid 17 Mar 1889. Dedicated 9 Mar 1890. Attr. to 'Andrew and Patrick Scott '(sic), both of Navan, by Proinnsíos Ó Duigneáin and in parish website (2008): 'The architect for Dromahair church was Andrew Scott, and his brother Paddy was the contractor. Both were members of a well-known family of builders from Navan.'
Refs: Proinnsíos Ó Duigneáin in 'Drumlin Publication, Manorhamilton, Co. Leitrim' (ref. from Buildings of Ireland files); http://www.kilmorediocese.ie/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=94&Itemid=138

Building: CO. MEATH, BELPERE (TARA), MEDICAL OFFICER'S HOUSE
Date: 1890
Nature: Tenders invited for erecting medical officer's residence for Dunshaughlin Board of Guardians.
Refs: Irish Times, 27 Dec 1890.

Building: CO. MEATH, BELPER (TARA), DOCTOR'S RESIDENCE
Date: 1891
Nature: New. For Dispensary Committee. Tender of Thomas Mackey, Dublin (£1,300) accepted
Refs: IB 33, 1 Mar 1891, 57

Building: CO. MEATH, OLDCASTLE, PUBLIC HOUSE
Date: 1891
Nature: Alts. & imps, for Casey's Drogheda Brewery Co. Tender of Thomas Grace (£306) accepted.
Refs: IB 33, 1 Mar 1891, 57

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, KINNEGAD, NATIONAL SCHOOL
Date: 1893
Nature: 'Picturesque single-storey school building with advanced and gabled end bays. Limestone rubble, with orange brick trim.
Refs: 61st Report of the Commissioners of National Education in Ireland (1894), 230;  Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 368.

Building: CO. MEATH, BEAUPARC, CULLEN HOUSE
Date: 1893a
Nature: Adds. & alts. for Walter Thom. Contractor: James Rowe, Rathkenny. Architect and contractor dismissed, Jan 1893. Lawsuit brought by contractor against Thom, Jan 1894, and settled in favour of plaintiff.
Refs: Irish Times, 18,20 Jan 1894.

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, ENNISKILLEN, TOWNHALL STREET, TOWN HALL
Date: 1897-1901
Nature: AS & William Scott win competition (Assessor: Thomas Drew). Tenders invited, Jun 1897.  Building begun Sep 1897. FS laid by Lady Enniskillen, 2 May 1898. Opened 14? Jan 1901 by Countess of Erne. Cost: £11,000 (or £13,000?). Contractor: James Harvey, Enniskillen. Stone carving: Hart, Brookeborough.
Refs: Detail drawings of assembly hall windows, May 1898, in IAA, Acc. 93/101; IB 39, 15 Jan,1,15 Jun,15 Jul 1897, 11,103,125,141; 40, 15 May 1898, 77; 41, 15 Jun,15 Oct,1 Dec 1899, 64,159(illus.)199; 42, 15 Jan,1 Oct 1900, 243,493; 43, 16 Jan 1901, 600-1,606; 44, 30 Jan 1902, 1021;  Irish Times, 12 Jun 1897;   B 80, 12,19 Jan 1901, 47,67

Building: CO. LOUTH, DROGHEDA, SHOP STREET (& BACHELOR'S LANE), AUGUSTINIAN CONVENT
Date: 1898
Nature: Sewerage system. By Anthony Scott & Son.
Refs: Plan and sections, Jun 1898, in IAA, Acc. 93/101

Building: CO. MEATH, STAMULLEN, PRESTON HILL, PAROCHIAL HOUSE
Date: 1899-1900
Nature: Adds. & improvements. Tender of M. Henry, Balbriggan (£335), accepted, Jan 1900.
Refs: IB 41, 15 Dec 1899, 218; B 78, 13 Jan 1900, 48

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, ENNISKILLEN, WELLINGTON PLACE, CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL (RC)
Date: 1900
Nature: Alts. Large mural paintings by Charles Russell.
Refs: IB 60, 1 Nov 1900, 524

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, ENNISKILLEN, ERNE ROAD, UNION WORKHOUSE
Date: 1900
Nature: Tenders invited for carrying out reconstruction scheme, alts. & imps to water supply & heating.
Refs: IB 42, 15 Jun,1,15 Aug 1900, 391,444,451,458; B 79, 7 Jul 1900, 22

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BALBRIGGAN, PRESTON HILL, PAROCHIAL HOUSE
Date: 1900
Nature: New. Contractor: Michael Heney, Balbriggan (£335).
Refs: IB 42, 15 Jan 1900, 250

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BALROTHERY, UNION WORKHOUSE
Date: 1900
Nature: Disinfecting chamber, 1900. Extension, 1914..
Refs: IB 42, 15 Aug,1 Dec 1900, 451,558; 56, 10 Oct 1914, 578

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CLONDALKIN, HOUSES (024)
Date: 1900
Nature: 24 labourers' cottages, for South Dublin RDC. Contractor: P.J. Hussey, Drum.
Refs: IB 42, 1 Feb,1,15 Mar 1900, 261,293,309

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, RATHFARNHAM, HOUSES (024)
Date: 1900
Nature: Labourers' cottages, for South Dublin RDC. Contractor: P.J. Hussey, Drum.
Refs: IB 42, 1 Feb,1,15 Mar,15 Aug,1 Sep 1900, 261,293,309,452,467,470

Building: CO. MEATH, NAVAN, UNION WORKHOUSE
Date: 1900;1901;1905;
Nature: New water supply, 1900. Imps., 1901. Rebuilding chimneys of fever hospital, 1905. Electric lighting, 1909.
Refs: IB 42, 1 Oct 1900, 494; 43, 12 Sep 1901, 862; 47, 9 Sep 1905, 634; 51, 4 Sep,16,30 Oct,27 Nov 1909, 573,669,702,763

Building: CO. MEATH, DUNSHAUGHLIN, SEWERAGE
Date: 1901
Nature: A. Scott & Sons appointed to design water supply and sewerage scheme.
Refs: IB 43, 30 Jan 1901, 608

Building: CO. MEATH, DUNSHAUGHLIN, WATER SUPPLY
Date: 1901
Nature: A. Scott & Sons appointed to design water supply and sewerage scheme.
Refs: IB 43, 30 Jan 1901, 608

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, KILLUCAN, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1901
Nature: Alts.
Refs: IB 43, 23 May 1901, 735

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, LISBELLAW, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1901
Nature: Improvements.
Refs: IB 43, 27 Feb 1901, 641

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, MULLINGAR, DISTRICT LUNATIC ASYLUM
Date: 1901
Nature: Water supply.
Refs: IB 43, 1 Aug 1901, 815

Building: CO. CARLOW, LISNAVAGH
Date: 1901-03
Nature: Agent's house, recently completed. For Lord Rathdonnell. Faced with ashlar granite; design in harmony with other buildings on estate. Principally carried out by estate workers.
Refs: IB 43, 16 Jan 1901, 601; 45, 4 Jun 1903, 1810(illus. in supplement)

Building: CO. LEITRIM, BALLAGHAMEEHAN (MANORHAMILTON), CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1902
Nature: Alts. & adds., including rose window.
Refs: IB 44, 27 Feb 1902, 1060

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, ENNISKILLEN, TECHNICAL SCHOOL
Date: 1902
Nature: New.
Refs: IB 43, 16 Jan 1902, 999

Building: CO. MEATH, RATHFEIGH HOUSE
Date: 1902
Nature: Alts. & adds.
Refs: IB 44, 27 Feb 1902, 1060

Building: CO. MEATH, DUNBOYNE, HOUSES (007)
Date: 1903
Nature: 7 2-storey cottages, for Dunshaughlin DC. Tender of James Maguire, Navan (£1,047) accepted.
Refs: IB 45, 16 Jul 1903, 1880

Building: CO. MEATH, NAVAN, BEECHMOUNT HOUSE
Date: 1903
Nature: Adds., alts., for J.S. Pentony, Esq. Tender of Luke Madden, Slane (£487), accepted.
Refs: IB 45, 26 Mar,7 May 1903, 1658,1754

Building: CO. LEITRIM, TARMON, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: 1903
Nature: New.
Refs: IB 45, 18 Jun,2 Jul 1903, 1830,1835,1854

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, ROCHFORTBRIDGE, PAROCHIAL HOUSE
Date: 1903;1908
Nature: New out offices, 1903. Adds. & imps., 1908.
Refs: IB 45, 16 Jul 1903, 1883; 50, 25 Jan 1908, 54

Building: CO. ROSCOMMON, OAKPORT (BOYLE)
Date: 1904
Nature: Tenders invited for carrying out structural alts and general repairs for Col. D.S. Hammond.
Refs: IB 46, 27 Feb 1904, 122,130; Mark Bence-Jones, Burke’s Guide to Country Houses. Volume I, Ireland. (London, 1978), 228

Building: CO. LAOIS, PORTARLINGTON, TECHNICAL SCHOOL
Date: 1905
Nature: Tenders invited for erection of new technical school for Christian Brothers.
Refs: IB 47, 11 Mar 1905, 170

Building: CO. LEITRIM, KILTYCLOGHER, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1905
Nature: 3-light stained glass window to be erected over high altar. Celtic ornament. On view in premises of William Martin, Son & Co., Stephen's Gn.
Refs: IB 47, 30 Dec 1905, 950

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BALBRIGGAN, DEMPSEY'S
Date: 1905a
Nature: 'The bridge at Balbriggan presents a very pretty appearance since Mr Dempsey has got his new butcher's establisment there'. Beautiful building.
Refs: Drogheda Independent, 25 Nov 1905, 7

Building: CO. MEATH, NAVAN, CHURCH HILL, BELFAST BANK
Date: 1906
Nature: New bank. Contractor: W.J. Campbell & Son, Belfast.
Refs: IB 48, 24 Feb,25 Aug 1906, 154,688

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MOORE STREET, BUSINESS PREMISES
Date: 1906
Nature: Contractor: J. & W. Clarke, Clanbrassil St.
Refs: IB 48, 25 Aug 1906, 690

Building: CO. GALWAY, KILBEACANTY (GORT), CHURCH OF ST FECHIN (RC)
Date: 1906-07
Nature: Rebuilding. Dedicated by Bishop of Galway Oct? 1907. Contractor: Connolly & Tarpey, Ardrahan. Leaded glass: Campbell Bros. Fibrous plaster: John Ryan, Abbey St, Dublin. AS presented with pair of silver candelabra by Monsignor Fahy on behalf of congregation, Jul 1908.
Refs: IB 49, 2 Nov 1907, 762; 50, 25 Jul 1908, 450

Building: BELGIUM, TOURNAI, FONTENOY MEMORIAL
Date: 1906-07
Nature: 19 foot high Celtic cross in commemoration of the great battle rendered famous by the achievements of the Irish Brigade. Erected near scene of battle. Unveiled Sun, 25 Aug 1907. Executed by Thompson Bros, Dominick St. AS, as honorary architect, presented with silver rose bown in recognition of his services.
Refs: IB 48, 1 Dec 1906, 981(illus.); 49, 18 May,7 Sep 1907, 344,613(illus. in supplement)); 50, 7 Mar,18 Apr,25 Jul 1908, 157,230,450; Ethna Bee Cee [Byrne Costigan], Ethna Mary Twice (1989), 52

Building: CO. MEATH, PIERCETOWN (KELLS)
Date: 1907
Nature: Tenders invited for alts. & adds. to Charles Reilly's house.
Refs: IB 49, 18 May 1907, 358

Building: CO. SLIGO, SLIGO, CASTLE STREET, MCDONAGH BROS.
Date: 1907
Nature: Adds. to premises of McDonagh Bros, Drapers, by annexing neighbouring house, which will enable them to form link with woollen warehouse in Market St.
Refs: IB 49, 14 Dec 1907, 862

Building: CO. SLIGO, SLIGO, KNOX STREET, EAST BROS.
Date: 1907
Nature: Reconstruction of premises recently & still partly occupied by Mr Perry, ironmonger & cycle agent, to form large drapery warehouse for East Bros. Contractor: Joseph Mullen, John St, Sligo.
Refs: IB 49, 10 Aug,14 Dec1907, 562,862

Building: CO. GALWAY, GALWAY, FORSTER STREET, MAGDALENE ASYLUM
Date: 1907
Nature: New chapel and structural alts to existing chapel.
Refs: IB 49, 23 Mar 1907, 212

Building: CO. KILDARE, NAAS, CEMETERY
Date: 1907
Nature: Mortuary chapel.
Refs: IB 49, 23 Feb 1907, 138

Building: CO. MEATH, CASTLETOWN KILPATRICK, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: 1907
Nature: Alts. & adds. including new chancel, side chapels & high altar.
Refs: IB 49, 5 Oct 1907, 693; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 199

Building: CO. CLARE, ENNISTYMON, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1907
Nature: Extensive alts. & adds. Contractor: Torpey & Connolly, Ballyglass.
Refs: IB 49, 10 Aug 1907, 562

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, ROCHFORTBRIDGE, DEAF & DUMB INSTITUTE
Date: 1907
Nature: New institute in progress, for Sisters of Mercy. Contractor: Lynam, Enniscorthy.
Refs: IB 49, 10 Aug 1907, 562

Building: CO. DUBLIN, SKERRIES, SEWERAGE?
Date: 1907
Nature: Tenders invited for constructing new flushing tank.
Refs: IB 49, 5 Oct 1907, 701

Building: CO. DUBLIN, LUSK, PUBLIC LIBRARY
Date: 1907-08
Nature: New Carnegie library. £400. Contractor: E. Hanway, N Gt George's St, Dublin.
Refs: IB 49, 1 Jun,5 Oct 1907, 394,694; Brendan Grimes, Irish Carnegie Libraries: a catalogue and architectural history (1998), 196-7(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, SWORDS, CARNEGIE LIBRARY
Date: 1907-8
Nature: New. Opened 1908.
Refs: IB 49, 5 Oct 1907, 694; Brendan Grimes, Irish Carnegie Libraries: a catalogue and architectural history (1998), 240-241(illus.)

Building: CO. LAOIS, VICARSTOWN, CHURCH OF THE ASSUMPTION (RC)
Date: 1907;1916
Nature: Alts. & adds., 1907. Extensive improvements, 1916, for Rev. J. Delany, PP. Plasterwork: Creedon.
Refs: IB 49, 10 Aug 1907, 562; 58, 9 Dec 1916, 612; Building News 111, 13 Dec 1916, 558

Building: CO. GALWAY, LOUGHREA, AGRICULTURAL COLLEGE
Date: 1907p
Nature: Proposed new college. Estimated cost: £27,000.
Refs: IB 49, 18 May 1907, 345

Building: CO. CLARE, LISDOONVARNA, INNISFAIL HOUSE
Date: 1908
Nature: Completed and opened for Mrs O'Dwyer whose late husband was the proprietor of the Imperial Hotel.
Refs: IB 50, 11 Jul 1908, 438

Building: CO. MEATH, NAVAN, HOUSES (058)
Date: 1908
Nature: For Navan Rural District Council. Tenders invited for erecting 58 labourers' cottages, for Navan RDC.
Refs: IB 50, 11 Jul 1908, 443

Building: CO. GALWAY, TUAM, PREMISES
Date: 1908
Nature: Addition to premises of Mr John Connolly.
Refs: IB 50, 5 Sep 1908, 552

Building: CO. MEATH, DUNSHAUGHLIN DISTRICT, HOUSES
Date: 1908
Nature: Labourers' cottages costin £150 each for Dunshaughlin RDC. B. Carslaw's tender accepted.
Refs: IB 50, 28 Nov 1908, 739

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CAMDEN STREET LOWER, NO. 001-4 (GOREVAN BROS.)
Date: 1908
Nature: Structural alts. about to be made.
Refs: IB 50, 22 Feb 1908, 117

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DONABATE, PUBLIC LIBRARY
Date: 1908
Nature: Tenders invited for erection of partition for Donabate Library Committee. Architect: 'Mr Scott'.
Refs: Freeman's Journal, 24 Sep 1908.

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, MULTYFARNHAM ABBEY
Date: 1908-09
Nature: Extensive improvement & restoration, new roof. Tenders invited Apr 1908. Contractor: Michael Lynam, Enniscorthy.
Refs: IB 50, 18 Apr,5 Sep 1908, 229,247,552; 51, 3 Apr 1909, 194;  Freeman's Journal, 9 Apr 1908.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, MALAHIDE, CARNEGIE LIBRARY
Date: 1908-1911
Nature: AS appointed architect for same, Feb 1908. Opened 31 May 1911.
Refs: IB 50, 22 Feb 1908, 117; 51, 3 Apr 1909, 193,210; 53, 10 Jun 1911, 398; Brendan Grimes, Irish Carnegie Libraries: a catalogue and architectural history (1998), 198-9(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, SKERRIES, STRAND STREET GREAT, PUBLIC LIBRARY
Date: 1908;1911
Nature: AS wins competition for design of new library, 1908. Opened 8 May 1911. Contractor: James Duff, Skerries.Cost: £10,000. (Grimes suggests that W.A. Scott may have 'had a hand' in the design.)
Refs: IB 50, 7 Mar 1908, 133; 51, 29 May 1909, 341; 52, 12 Nov 1910, 704; Brendan Grimes, Irish Carnegie Libraries: a catalogue and architectural history (1998), 236-239(illus.)

Building: CO. GALWAY, GORT, CONVENT OF MERCY
Date: 1908a
Nature: New chapel, enlarging and replacing former chapel on 1st floor. Dedicated 25 Mar 1905. Contractor: Michael Keller, Loughrea.Altar by Pearse & Sons. Sanctuary windows by Miss Purser, Meyer of Munich(centre) and Mssrs. Clarke. Ceiling panels by John Ryan, Dublin. AS presented with pair of silver candelabra by Monsignor Fahy and parishioners
Refs: IB 50, 8 Apr,25 Jul 1908, 223,449

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CHURCH STREET, FATHER MATHEW MEMORIAL HALL
Date: 1909
Nature: Extension. Opened by Lord Mayor, 10 Oct 1909. Contractor: W. Connolly & Son, Upper Dominick St. (According to Casey, extension designed by C.J. McCarthy and only proscenium arch designed by Scott.)
Refs: IB 51, 20 Mar,16 Oct 1909, 161,178,661;  Freeman's Journal, 11 Oct 1909;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 251.

Building: CO. CLARE, ENNISTYMON, CONVENT OF MERCY SCHOOLS
Date: 1909-10
Nature: Tenders invited for erection of new schools.
Refs: IB 51, 25 Dec 1909, 818; 11, 8 Jan 1910, 21

Building: CO. GALWAY, SHANAGLISH (GORT), CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1910
Nature: New chancel, sacristy and nave roof. Tenders invited Jan 1910.
Refs: Freeman's Journal, 5 Jan 1910; IB 52, 22 Jan 1910, 37; B 98, 15 Jan 1910, 70

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, HOLYWELL (BELCOO), CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: 1910
Nature: Church of 1828 which had become 'almost unfit for public worship' restored. Walls rebuilt in places and replastered. New ceiling and gallery. Dedicated 5 Oct 1913.
Refs: IB 52, 19 Mar 1910, 182; 53, 11 Oct 1913, 656

Building: CO. MEATH, NAVAN, COUNTY COUNCIL OFFICES
Date: 1910
Nature: New offices for Meath County Council. To cost £3,500.
Refs: IB 52, 28 May,23 Jul 1910, 349,473

Building: CO. GALWAY, BEAGH, CHURCH OF ST ANNE (RC)
Date: 1911
Nature: Reconstruction. Church rededicated, 1 Oct 1911. Contractor: Lydon Bros., College Rd, Galway.
Refs: IB 53, 28 Oct 1911, 722;  Tom May, Churches of Galway, Kilmacduagh and Kilfenora (Galway, 2000), 36-37 (who says architect was 'Professor [i.e.William Alphonsus] Scott'. 

Building: CO. CLARE, CLOONAH (ENNISTYMON), CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1911-13
Nature: Structural alts. New sacristy, roof & belfry. And high altar?
Refs: IB 53, 4 Mar 1911, 146; IA & C 1, 11 Mar 1911, 88; The Mantle 3 (1964, no. 1), 19

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, MOYVORE, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1912
Nature: Tenders invited for erection of sacristy.
Refs: IB 54, 11 May 1912, 296

Building: CO. CLARE, LISCANNOR, PAROCHIAL HOUSE
Date: 1912
Nature: Tenders invited for erection of same.
Refs: IB 54, 11 May,8 Jun 1912, 296,350

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, MOATE, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1912
Nature: Bell tower in grounds.
Refs: IB 54, 6 Jul 1912, 406

Building: CO. DOWN, NEWRY, TOWN HALL & MUNICIPAL OFFICES
Date: 1912
Nature: Newry UDC appoints AS consulting engineer in connection with proposed extension & improvements.
Refs: IB 54, 13 Apr 1912, 230; Building News 102, 19 Apr 1912, 559

Building: CO. DUBLIN, GARRISTOWN, CARNEGIE LIBRARY
Date: 1912
Nature: New library to be built. Contractor: Joseph Rooney. (Grimes suggests it may be a conversion of an existing building.)
Refs: IB 54, 8 Jun 1912, 337; Brendan Grimes, Irish Carnegie Libraries: a catalogue and architectural history (1998), 151-2(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, KINSEALY HOUSE
Date: 1912
Nature: Addition.
Refs: IB 54, 23 Nov 1912, 672

Building: CO. DUBLIN, SKERRIES, NATIONAL SCHOOL
Date: 1912
Nature: New.
Refs: IB 54, 11 May 1912, 286

Building: CO. OFFALY, EDENDERRY, CONVENT OF ST JOHN OF GOD
Date: 1912-14
Nature: Anthony & W.A. Scott winners of limited competition for design of new parish church and convent. With W.A. Scott. Romanesque. FS laid 21 May 1914 by Bishop of Kildare & Leighlin. Contractor: William Connolly, Upper Dominick St. (or J. Coffey, Midleton, Co. Cork?)
Refs: Building News 103, 20 Nov 1912, 759; IB 54, 23 Nov 1912, 657; 55, 10 May 1913, 320; 55, 5 Jul 1913, 429; 56, 6 Jun,10 Oct 1914, 341,578; 59, 31 Mar 1917, 149;  Freeman's Journal, 19,26 May 1914.

Building: CO. OFFALY, EDENDERRY, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1912-18
Nature: With W.A. Scott winner of limited competition for design of new parish church and convent. Romanesque. For Rev. Paul Murphy, PP.  FS laid early summer 1914 by Bishop of Kildare & Leighlin. Rapidly nearing completion in Mar 1918. Contractor: William Connolly, Upper Dominick St. (or J. Coffey, Midleton, Co. Cork?)
Refs: Building News 103, 20 Nov 1912, 759; IB 54, 23 Nov 1912, 657; 55, 10 May 1913, 320; 55, 5 Jul 1913, 429; 56, 6 Jun,10 Oct 1914, 341,578; 59, 31 Mar 1917, 149; 60, 30 Mar 1918, 161; Freeman's Journal, 19,22,26 May 1914;   Paul Larmour, '"The Drunken Man of Genius": William A. Scott (1871-1921)', Irish Architectural Review 3 (2001), 38

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PARNELL SQUARE, NO. 031
Date: 1912-1914
Nature: Enlargement of hall (extended at both ends) for Ancient Order of Hibernians. Builder: J. & M. Clarke, 13 Clanbrassil St. Formal opening, 15 Apr 1914. Billiard room also enlarged.
Refs: IB 54, 7 Dec 1912, 699; 55, 25 Oct 1913, 683;  Freeman's Journal, 13 Apr 1914.

Building: CO. GALWAY, MYLESPARK (COROFIN), HOUSE
Date: 1913
Nature: Tenders invited for erecting farmhouse, for Joseph Kilgarriff, Tuam.
Refs: IB 55, 1 Feb 1913, 84

Building: CO. SLIGO, SLIGO, MCHUGH MEMORIAL
Date: 1913
Nature: Memorial to PA McHugh, MP, consisting of statue on pedestal.. Unveiled 27 Oct 1916 by J.E. Redmond, MP.(Now in forecourt of town hall, Quay St).
Refs: IB 55, 1 Mar 1913, 130,148

Building: CO. CARLOW, CARLOW, CATHEDRAL OF THE ASSUMPTION (RC)
Date: 1913
Nature: Tenders invited for important alts. and adds. to designs of AS.
Refs: IB 55, 5 Jul 1913, 444; Building News 105, 18 Jul 1913, 76

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, TALBOT STREET, NO. 006-8 (M.J. MORAN)
Date: 1913
Nature: Structural improvements consisting of extensions to rere, enlarging ground floor shops, flat Vulcanite roof &c. Contractor: P. Shortall, Upper Temple St.
Refs: IB 55, 1 Feb 1913, 83

Building: CO. DUBLIN, OLDTOWN, PUBLIC LIBRARY
Date: 1913
Nature: New library for Balrothery District Council.
Refs: IB 55, 8 Nov 1913, 716

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MOUNTJOY SQUARE, NO. 001
Date: 1913-14
Nature: New National Health offices at rere, for Ancient Order of Hibernians.
Refs: IB 55, 21 Jun,19 Jul 1913, 412,475; 56, 3 Jan 1914, 18

Building: CO. ROSCOMMON, CASTLEREA, POST OFFICE (OLD?)
Date: 1914
Nature: Structural alts.
Refs: IB 56, 28 Mar 1914, 199

Building: CO. CLARE, CARRON, PAROCHIAL HOUSE
Date: 1914
Nature: New.
Refs: IB 56, 14 Mar 1914, 168

Building: CO. DUBLIN, OLDTOWN, MEDICAL OFFICER'S RESIDENCE
Date: 1914
Nature: Alts. & repairs, for Balrothery Board of Guardians.
Refs: IB 56, 4 Jul 1914, 420

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BALROTHERY, HOUSES (065)
Date: 1914
Nature: Tenders invited for erection of 65 labourers' cottages in Balrothery Rural District.
Refs: Freeman's Journal, 20 Jun 1914.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BALROTHERY, HOUSES (104)
Date: 1914
Nature: Tenders invited for erecting 104 labourers' cottages, for Balrothery Rural District Council.
Refs: Freeman's Journal, 5 Sep 1914.

Building: CO. MEATH, TRIM, DISTRICT SCHOOL
Date: 1914;1915;1918
Nature: Chimney, 1914. Repairs to boiler house chimney (the same chimney?), 1915,1918.
Refs: IB 56, 31 Jan 1914, 76; 57, 3 Jul 1915, 308; 60, 3 Jul 1918, 308

Building: CO. SLIGO, SLIGO, CLARION ROAD, DISTRICT LUNATIC ASYLUM
Date: 1915
Nature: Lighting & latrines, 1908. Pointing of boiler-house chimney, 1909. Independent water supply and electric lighting, 1914. Storekeeper's residence, 1915.
Refs: Freeman's Journal, 19 Aug 1908, 12 Feb 1914;  IB 50, 22 Aug,5 Sep 1908, 528,556; 51, 10 Jul 1909, 437; 57, 31 Jul 1915, 337.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BALBRIGGAN, DISPENSARY
Date: 1915
Nature: Repairs to dispensaries at Balbriggan and Swords.
Refs: IB 57, 16 Jan,27 Feb 1915, 33,106

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, TALBOT STREET, NO. 004 (M.J. MORAN)
Date: 1915
Nature: Conversion of No. 4 into new shop premises for M.J.Moran, draper (addition to existing premises at  Nos. 6 & 7). Contractor: Patrick Shortall.
Refs: IB 57, 25 Sep 1915, 425

Building: CO. DUBLIN, SWORDS, DISPENSARY
Date: 1915
Nature: Repairs to dispensaries at Balbriggan and Swords.
Refs: IB 57, 16 Jan 1915, 33

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BALROTHERY, HOUSES (087)
Date: 1915
Nature: 87 labourers' cottages, for Balrothery Rural District Council. Tenders invited, Apr 1915.
Refs: Freeman's Journal, 10 Apr 1915.

Building: CO. LEITRIM, BALLINAMORE, CONVENT OF MERCY
Date: 1915;1918
Nature: New. Tenders invited for erecting same, 1918..
Refs: IB 57, 3 Jul 1915, 308; 60, 3 Jul 1918, 308

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HARCOURT STREET, NO. 056
Date: 1916
Nature: Premises being altered and added to for Ancient Order of Hibernians for Club & Society Room.
Refs: IB 58, 29 Jan 1916, 45

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ABBEY STREET LOWER, NO. 035-37 (WYNN'S HOTEL)
Date: 1917
Nature: Proposed rebuilding after destuction by fire in 1916 Rising  (but built to designs of Francis Peter Russell instead). For Clarence Hotel Co.
Refs: IB 59, 17,31 Mar,29 Sep 1917, 125,149,493

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PARLIAMENT STREET, NO. 005-7 (ROYAL EXCHANGE HOTEL)
Date: 1917
Nature: Structural alts. including new front. Contractor: James Kiernan, N Richmond St.
Refs: IB 59, 9 Jun,29 Sep 1917, 287,500

Building: CO. LEITRIM, GLENCAR (MANORHAMILTON), CHURCH OF ST OSNAT (RC)
Date: 1918
Nature: Ceiling executed by M. Creedon.
Refs: IB 60, 14 Dec 1918, 552

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, ENNISKILLEN, WELLINGTON PLACE, CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL (RC)
Date: 1918
Nature: Improvements.
Refs: IB 60, 26 Oct 1918, 429

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ABBEY STREET LOWER, NO. 029
Date: 1918
Nature: Being rebuilt as hotel and restaurant. Contractor: P.J. Kinlen, Rathgar.
Refs: IB 60, 5 Jan 1918, 15

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, WELLINGTON QUAY, NO. 006-7 (CLARENCE HOTEL)
Date: 1918
Nature: Alts. & adds.
Refs: IB 60, 11 May 1918, 253

Author Title Date Details
Scott, Anthony 'The Round Tower at Kilmacduagh' 1879 IB 21, 1 Jan 1879, 14. (Letter to editor.)
Scott, Anthony 'The round towers of Ireland' 1899 IB 41, 1 Dec 1899, 201-203. (Paper read to AAI, 21 Nov 1899; summary in Builidng News 76, 5 May 1899, 603.)
Scott, Anthony 'The Building Stones of Ireland' 1911 IB 53, 15 Apr,13 May,10 Jun 1911, 231-234,306-313,378-382. (Paper read to Scientific and Engineering Society of Ireland, 13 Mar 1911.)