Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of London, for whom see Directory of British Architects 1834-1900 (RIBA, 1993), 810. According to Cornforth, George Gilbert Scott made proposals for additions and alterations to Dunsany Castle, Co. Meath, for the 16th Baron Dunsany, which remained unexecuted.(1)



References



(1) John Cornforth, 'Dunsany Castle, Co. Meath - II', Country Life 149, 3 Jun 1971, 1365-6; Cornforth gives no date and refers to the architect simply as 'Gilbert Scott', so the designs could possibly be by George Gilbert Scott, the Younger (1839-1897).


4 work entries listed in chronological order for SCOTT, GEORGE GILBERT (SIR) #


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PATRICK STREET, ST PATRICK'S CATHEDRAL (CI)
Date: 1858-59
Nature: Skerries limestone 'was used in the restoration 1858-9 by Sir G.G. Scott at S. Patrick's cathedral'.
Refs: APSD, S, 84

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, DONEGALL STREET, ST ANNE'S CATHEDRAL (CI)
Date: 1864
Nature: Pulpit, designed by GGS 1863 and made by William Farmer, erected in Westminster Abbey in 1864. Capitals carved by Harry Hems. Figures by - Hart. Moved to St Anne's Cathedral in or by 1910.
Refs: IB 52, 28 May,11 Jun 1910, 332,386

Building: CO. GALWAY, LOUGHREA, CATHEDRAL OF ST BRENDAN (RC)
Date: 1905-10
Nature: Furnishings, for Dr Thomas O'Dea, Bishop of Clonfert. Candelabra (1905), pews, confessionals, pulpit (1906), marble pavement in sanctuary executed by Galway Granite & Marble Co.(1908), bishop's throne (1910); perhaps also altar rails and final form of main altar and reredos. Also boundary wall & entrance gates?
Refs: 2 undated detail drawings for confessionals and 1 undated drawing for boundary wall & gateways (for Cathedral?) in IAA, Acc. 95/47; IB 50, 8 Aug 1908, 493; Jeanne Sheehy, The Rediscovery of Ireland's Past: the Celtic Revival 1830-1930 (1980), 142; Paul Larmour, The Arts and Crafts Movement in Ireland (1992), 132-3

Building: CO. MEATH, DUNSANY CASTLE
Date: ?
Nature: Proposed scheme featuring entrance tower to N of library tower and slim SE tower. For Edward, 16th Baron Dunsany.
Refs: John Cornforth, 'Dunsany Castle, Co. Meath - II', Country Life 149, 3 Jun 1971, 1365-6 (Cornforth gives no date and refers to the architect simply as 'Gilbert Scott', so the designs could possibly be by George Gilbert Scott, the Younger (1839-1897)).