- Born: 1825 Died: 1854
County surveyor for Co. Waterford, 1853-1854. Alexander Schaw, a son of Lieut. John Sauchie Shaw, Royal Artillery, and his first wife, Frances, daughter of Archdeacon Henry Irwin, of Armagh, was born in Dublin on 11 December 1825.(1) After serving a pupilage with JOHN MACNEILL ,(2) in 1849 he was appointed resident engineer on the Dublin & Belfast Junction Railway, of which Macneill was engineer-in-chief. Between 1850 amd 1853 he worked with Macneill's assistant engineer JAMES BARTON on the design and construction of the Boyne viaduct near Drogheda.(3) He has been credited with designing the 'Egyptian' Craigmore Viaduct on the line at Mullaghglass, Co. Armagh,(4) and the castellated Newfoundwell viaduct to the north of the Boyne viaduct.
Schaw was appointed county surveyor for Co. Waterford in July 1853 but drowned while bathing in Bay Lough in the Knockmealdown Mountains en route to Lismore on 1 September 1854. He was buried in Sandford parish church, Dublin, with his mother, who had died shortly after his birth. He was succeeded as county surveyor by WILLIAM CARROLL.
All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from Brendan O'Donoghue, The Irish County Surveyors 1834-1944 (Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2007), 296-298, which gives a much fuller account of Schaw's life and engineering career. References supplied to the compiler of this database by Brendan O'Donoghue are initialled B.O'D.
(1) http://www.ncpublications.com/colonial/Bookshelf/Schaw/graph.htm (2008).
(2) NLI MS. 2210 .
(3) John Macneill, The Boyne Viaduct: Its History (1860), 12-13,20-21; Tourists' Illustrated Handbook for Ireland (1854), 203.
(4) Jeanne Sheehy, 'Railway Architecture - its heyday', Journal of the Irish Railway Record Society 12, no. 68 (Oct 1975), 133.
3 work entries listed in chronological order for SCHAW, ALEXANDER
|Building:||CO. ARMAGH, CRAIGMORE VIADUCT (MULLAGHGLASS)|
|Nature:||New viaduct For Dundalk & Belfast Junction Railway. 'The 'Egyptian Arch'...has generally been attributed to Macneill...engineer-in-chief of the line; but it was really designed, as a modification of the original plan, by Alexander Schaw' (Sheehy). Mulligan suggests that Schaw's design was furthermodified, 'perhaps...by John skipton Mulvany'. Contractors: Killen & Moore Bros.|
B 8, 7 Sep 1850, 424-5; 9, 8 Mar 1851, 152; 10, 3 Apr,18 Sep 1852, 219,599; Bessbrook (1945), 37-9; Jeanne Sheehy, 'Railway Architecture - its heyday', Journal of the Irish Railway Record Society 12, no. 68 (Oct 1975), 133 (information based on NLI MS 2210?); Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 204.
|Building:||CO. WATERFORD, LISMORE, BRIDGE|
|Nature:||AS designs new 5-arch causeway to bridge in Dec 1853 after former causeway was partially destroyed by floods in Nov 1853. Contractor: Albert Williams, Dublin (£2,000). (New causeway collapsed without warning on 26 Dec 1855.)|
|Refs:||Lismore Papers, NLI, MS 7186, Curry Letter Book, 366 (B.O'D.); Brendan O'Donoghue, The Irish County Surveyors 1834-1944 (Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2007), 297|
|Building:||CO. LOUTH, NEWFOUNDWELL VIADUCT|
|Nature:||AS credited with castellated 5-arch railway viaduct to N of Boyne viaduct.|
|Refs:||Brendan O'Donoghue, The Irish County Surveyors 1834-1944 (Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2007), 297|