Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Engineer, of Cork. F.O'C Saunders was born in Cork in 1894 or 1895 1) and studied engineering at University College, Cork, from 1913 until 1918, when he was awarded the BE degree.(2) After graduating he worked in England. By 1926 he had joined the engineering staff of the Cork Harbour Commissioners and in 1933 he was promoted to the position of chief engineer in succession to JAMES PRICE [2]. JAMES PRICE [2]. (3) He held the post until his death in 1960.

ICEI: elected associate member, 4 May 1925;(4) raised to member, 1931.

Addresses: Work: Harbour Engineer's Office, <=1926-1960.

Home: 15 Friar's Walk, Cork, <=1911-1926; 4 Wellington Place Road, Cork, 1927->=1929.

See BIBLIOGRAPHY. BIBLIOGRAPHY.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the obituary of Saunders in IB 102, 6 Feb 1960, ? (a slightly altered version of the same obituary is in Engineers Journal 13 (1960), 152), ICEI membership lists and the1911 census of Ireland, http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ (last visited Oct 2009).  . A photograph of Saunders is in Mary Leland, That Endless Adventure: a history of the Cork Harbour Commissioners (2001), 146.

(1) According to Guy's Cork Almanac and Directory for 1915 his widowed mother ran a nursery business in Friar's Walk.
(2) Information from UCC Archives;  cf,. the 1911 census in which Saunders is described as an undergraduate at the university .
(3) Leland, op.cit., above, 148.
(4) TICEI 51 (1924-25), 211.


Author Title Date Details
Saunders, Frederick O'connell 'The Development of the River Port of Cork City' 1956 TICEI ? (1956), ?